Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Roland VH-11 Hats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roland VH-11 Hats

Please please please tell me what you guys think of these electric hats, are they responsive and can they handle any rudiment you throw it's way. I have been trying to find reviews on google and I end up getting the same old reviews. I wanna hear from the people who use them. Are they any good? Cheers.
    Pintech e-jam with TD6 brain + vintage olympic kit

See PMs.

Comment

There's been lots of discussion about the VH-11 so it's worth while having a search through the forum. But to answer your question more directly, the more important point is probably what module you have as this will dictate the degree to which the hi-hat capacity models a real hi hat. The TD-12 and TD-20 have the best modeling and are the most expressive in terms of sounds and range... I have a TD-12 and a TD-6 and the 12 knocks spots off the 6 in terms of hi-hat performance. Modules below the TD-12 have relatively limited degree of hi-hat function in terms of range between open and closed sounds - this is pad independent, so using a more expensive pad e.g VH-11 over a CY-5 won't give you any more functionality, but will give you a different feel to the play.

The type of pad set up you use for the hi-hat depends on what you want and what you like. If you want something that mimics the feel and movement of real hats and lets you use a hi-hat stand then the VH-11 or VH-12 (VH-12 only works with the TD-12 or 20) is a good choice. If you are happy with a fixed pad and foot pedal then a CY-5 and FD-7 or FD-8 pedal will give you equal functionality to a VH-11.

If you have a TD-12 or 20 there is a simple non-invasive modification you can apply to the VH-11 to give you the extra tonal changes with foot pressure that you get with the top of the range VH-12.

And yes, the VH-11 is sensitive and will handle your rudiments, but will sound best with a TD-12 or 20.

Hope this helps.

Comment

For me, the "investment" in a VH-11 was probably the best i did ever. I used this thing on a TD-6V also and although it didn't change the sound, the feel was way better than the CY-5 "pad". Now i'm using a TD-20 module, it is awesome.
        TD-20 brain, TDW-20 expanded! MDS-20BK, 3x PD125, 2x PD105, 3x CY-14C, CY-15R, CY-12R/C, Hart ECII-10B, VH-11, KD-120, Tama IronCobra Rolling Glides and pearl hardware.
        Loving it every second..

Comment

Originally posted by rbressers View Post
          For me, the "investment" in a VH-11 was probably the best i did ever. I used this thing on a TD-6V also and although it didn't change the sound, the feel was way better than the CY-5 "pad". Now i'm using a TD-20 module, it is awesome.

Ditto, except for the TD-20 part.

Comment

Working...
          X