Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Positive experiences with Alesis Trigger IO?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Positive experiences with Alesis Trigger IO?

Has anyone here had very positive experiences with the Alesis Trigger I/O? I *really* want the Alesis to be awesome for me.

I want to convert an acoustic set, with DIY mesh heads and triggers. I have a family and not a lot of money to spend, though. I plan on using freeware synth and DAW (if I ever decide I need it) software, to save money. The freeware will be fine for me, because what I mostly want to do is practice drumming, rather than recording/mixing/etc.

The Alesis Trigger IO seems to be the tool for me, but I've read some somewhat-negative reviews. I *want* dual triggering to work nicely on all snare/tom/cymbal inputs. I want choking on at least one cymbal. I want a latency low enough that it won't be too annoying and distracting, especially when I hook up a double-bass-pedal.

If I do the DIY triggering right, can I achieve all this? I understand that the latency largely depends on the system and the audio device. I'll definitely need to purchase an audio device, will I be able to do that somewhat cheaply (sub $100, I'd hope)?

Thanks for all your help.

Okay, obviously I've asked the wrong question.

Maybe I should be asking... has EVERYONE here had negative experiences with the Alesis Trigger I/O? Have you used it and been disappointed? Tell me why!

Comment

Originally posted by InAVat View Post
      Has anyone here had very positive experiences with the Alesis Trigger I/O? I *really* want the Alesis to be awesome for me.

I want to convert an acoustic set, with DIY mesh heads and triggers. I have a family and not a lot of money to spend, though. I plan on using freeware synth and DAW (if I ever decide I need it) software, to save money. The freeware will be fine for me, because what I mostly want to do is practice drumming, rather than recording/mixing/etc.

The Alesis Trigger IO seems to be the tool for me, but I've read some somewhat-negative reviews. I *want* dual triggering to work nicely on all snare/tom/cymbal inputs. I want choking on at least one cymbal. I want a latency low enough that it won't be too annoying and distracting, especially when I hook up a double-bass-pedal.

If I do the DIY triggering right, can I achieve all this? I understand that the latency largely depends on the system and the audio device. I'll definitely need to purchase an audio device, will I be able to do that somewhat cheaply (sub $100, I'd hope)?

Thanks for all your help.
      The Trigger I/O is great for what it is. The problem arises when some people try to compare it to Roland stuff, or try using some Roland equipment with it. For some odd reason people expect a non-Roland company (Alesis) to be 100% compatible with Roland equipment. Roland has some proprietary methods for triggering that other companies can't conform to. (because of something called patent infringement). Because of this, some things are not the same. For instants, drumhead sensors (piezos) are wired backwards of rim sensors. The Trigger I/O uses the same wiring for head and rim. You most likely will get better drum trigger response by using reflection plate type sensing system (instead of the cone system) in your DIY triggers when using the Trigger I/O (at least I did). Keep in mind that this does not mean a cone type system won't work, because it does, you might have to tweak it a little differently than the standard Roland configuration. Don't think because you might use the reflection plate type system that you can't use mesh heads, because you can, and it works quite well. I hope this helps. Good Luck!
      alesisDRUMMER.com

Comment

I just got mine today and will be tweaking it over the weekend.
        (This is actually my second unit to try the first was a demo that i got to play with over night)
        I have read the manual and let you know what happens.

Comment

Awesome, thanks for the responses guys.

Hellfire: so have you tried dual-zone chokable cymbals with the Alesis Trigger IO? Were you successful? Did you use DIY, or use a particular brand?

How about dual-zone snare? Were there any false triggering problems? Did the positional sensing seem to work well? Did you DIY, or use a particular brand?

Same questions for Toms?

Fig Newton: definitely keep me posted on how it goes, and whatever details you don't mind giving would be greatly appreciated. I don't have a lot of money to throw around, so I'm trying to figure out wether the Trigger I/O is where I should put it.

Thanks again.

Comment

the triggerIO works, especially in your situation where you can build piezo/piezo type pads. there is a small users group at http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/triggerIO/ specifically for the triggerIO, there is not much in it but there are a few users who can probably help you with any questions.

Comment

My Weekend with the Trigger IO

I got the Trigger IO in and had a long weekend to play with it.
              Mixed results. Like others on this forum I had high hopes for the unit.
              I used a mix of pads: Pintech, Hart, Ddrum external triggers, and Roland.

Using it as a TMI with EZ Drummer.

Roland Pads couldnt get them to work well after changing the trigger type (PP, RS, etc) So after a couple hours moved on.
              Hart Ride had crazy results. The Bell triggered great. The Bow had issues. I had to mess with Gain and XTalk to get it dialed in. Never got it to my liking.
              Pintechs and Mesh Heads ext Triggers actually worked the best. I did minor tweaking with good results.

Next Test using it plugged in to my TD8 to add more inputs...

Comment

Working...
              X