Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New TD-6SW, need a slightly bigger rack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New TD-6SW, need a slightly bigger rack

So after trying out the td-7s for a while I decided to take the plunge and upgrade.

I went to my local guitar center and got a new td-6sw, iron cobra double bass pedal, and an additional cymbal (cy15-r).

I also bought the v-expressions master pack and now I absolutely LOVE my kit!

But now I want to add another tom and don't have room on my rack so I suppose I need a new rack.

I'm just a hobby player so I don't think I'll expand much more, if at all, after this tom, so what rack would be a good choice? It doesn't need to be too large and prefer if it wasn't.

Also, has anyone added the 4th tom to a td-6? Reading about it makes it sound easy but you never know.

Originally posted by sifuhall View Post
    I went to my local guitar center and got a new td-6sw... and an additional cymbal (cy15-r).

Also, has anyone added the 4th tom to a td-6? Reading about it makes it sound easy but you never know.
    If you've just bought a TD-6SW, then I assume you have the MDS-6SL+ rack.

IMO, it has plenty of room for a fourth tom. In fact, I actually have five toms, the snare, three cymbals, a hi-hat, and the module all on that same rack, with no add-on rack parts. (see attached photo, although not the best shot.)

So... it's easy, you can do it, and you don't need a new rack!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by TNT; 05-20-08, 12:49 AM.
    VDrums: a cluster of bits including TDW-20 and TD-3 modules, KD-85, PD-85(2), PD-8(5), CY-12(3), CY-8(2), CY-5(3), Kit Toys china, all on an MDS-6SL+ rack, SPD-S, VEX, VDL
    ZDrums: a Zendrum ZCSZX
    ADrums: an eight piece Tama Rockstar kit with lots o' Zildjians
    Gender-Conflicted Drums: a stock PDP Chameleon with a few Zildjians (a conversion just waiting to happen... then it can go both ways!)

Comment

I agree with TNT completely here. I had a TD12 module, five cymbals and my CY5 hat, four toms, four percussion triggers, a PD105 and a TMC6 mounted on a single MDS-3C stand for a while.
      HERE'S a pic of that setup.

Comment

sorry, looks like I posted too soon. The rack that originally came with the td6-sw (I bought the floor demo, the last one they had) was damaged and I got a rack for a td-3. Its black and instead of round tubes like my td-7 had these tubes have ridges running across.

Should I look into getting a MDS-6SL rack? If I'm going to buy one is that the best bang for the buck?

Comment

After searching it looks like I have the mds-3c rack as well.

I have my cy-15r cymbal and 1 tom on my right hand bar and I'm not sure how I will fit another tom in a decent location, but I may be able to once I see the tom and can play around with it.

I may also add a nimrod or dingbat as well and I believe I'll have my kit maxed at that point.

Comment

As always you guys were correct.

I have the new pd-8 pad setup and didn't have much of an issue with space at all.

Hopefully my dingbat will be delivered tomorrow and my new td-6 will already be maxed.

Thanks again.

Comment

Awesome Glad you got it sorted

....do I detect the early signs of GAS here?

Comment

Originally posted by TNT View Post
                If you've just bought a TD-6SW, then I assume you have the MDS-6SL+ rack.

IMO, it has plenty of room for a fourth tom. In fact, I actually have five toms, the snare, three cymbals, a hi-hat, and the module all on that same rack, with no add-on rack parts. (see attached photo, although not the best shot.)

So... it's easy, you can do it, and you don't need a new rack!
                Hey TNT - I have a TD-6KWS and the rack is quite different to yours - different feet, shorter top rail and has an extra rail for the snare....pic attached if you're interested.
                Front.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Hercules View Post
                  Hey TNT - I have a TD-6KWS and the rack is quite different to yours - different feet, shorter top rail and has an extra rail for the snare....pic attached if you're interested.
                  [ATTACH]9144[/ATTACH]
                  Looks cool, Hercules! I think I actually like your rack better than mine. You have more freedom of choice with your hi-hat placement. I have the shorter rack tubes for the snare, low toms, and ride; but I'm limited to the long top for the module, hi-hat, high toms, and cymbals.

I'm sure I could add another short tube and get creative with pad placement, but I've grown accustomed to this set up and it works well for me. However, I'm considering swapping out one of my upper PD-8s for a CY-5. I use that third PD-8 for a variety of instruments, depending on the kit I choose for each particular song. It changes from a tom, to a crash, to a sound effect, to a tamborine, to a second hi-hat, etc. I've noticed the majority of kits I've seen are laid out with just four toms: two upper and two lower. And, I'm thinking I'd like the look of my kit with an extra cymbal pad as opposed to five tom pads. So, I'll probably give it a try for a week or two and see how it goes.

I also like how you've added all those additional sound options with the SPD-S and the SPD-20. I just recently purchased an SPD-S and I'm in the process of trying out different placement positions for a few days each to find out where I'm most comfortable with it.
                  VDrums: a cluster of bits including TDW-20 and TD-3 modules, KD-85, PD-85(2), PD-8(5), CY-12(3), CY-8(2), CY-5(3), Kit Toys china, all on an MDS-6SL+ rack, SPD-S, VEX, VDL
                  Gender-Conflicted Drums: a stock PDP Chameleon with a few Zildjians (a conversion just waiting to happen... then it can go both ways!)

Comment

Originally posted by TNT View Post
                    I also like how you've added all those additional sound options with the SPD-S and the SPD-20. I just recently purchased an SPD-S and I'm in the process of trying out different placement positions for a few days each to find out where I'm most comfortable with it.
                    How's it going TNT? Have you found the right place for your SPD-S? And do you like the SPD-S?

I spent a lot of time swapping the -20 and -S to different positions to get the right flow in my playing - I find it's quite difficult going between the small pads on them and the more sweeping action used on the larger kit but the placement in that previous picture is the best I've found so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Hercules View Post
                      How's it going TNT? Have you found the right place for your SPD-S? And do you like the SPD-S?

I spent a lot of time swapping the -20 and -S to different positions to get the right flow in my playing - I find it's quite difficult going between the small pads on them and the more sweeping action used on the larger kit but the placement in that previous picture is the best I've found so far.
                      Hi Herc,

I've been moving it around a bit. Still not settled on the final location. I want it to be comfortable and easily reached for use with my kit during live gigs. I don't plan on using it for extra toms or anything like that. Just samples, patterns, etc. So, it'll be more of a single hit type of deal rather than trying to roll across those small pads as toms.

I tend to like the SPD-S better on the left, over my hi-hat. But the Roland stand I bought for it is just an inch or two short. So, I gotta push it further left than I like. It's OK on the right, just after my ride, but it's not my preference. However, I do know that I don't want it in front of me, above the toms.

I'm really liking the SPD-S a lot so far! I haven't used it live yet. I've only added a few samples, but plan on adding a lot more over time.

The thing I am liking the most at the moment is using it as a super-simplified practice kit! I've programmed a patch to have the pads with the same MIDI note numbers that match my TD-6SW kit. Then, I can just bring the SPD-S, my TD-6V module, a KD-8 and pedal, FD-8, throne, stool and MIDI cable to our band's practices. Waaaaay easy set up. And, I still have all the kits and sounds that my band is used to hearing for each song. It's a great convenience!
                      Last edited by TNT; 06-22-08, 02:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X