Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yamaha Dtxplorer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha Dtxplorer

hi guys!

im new in this forum. im planning to buy myself my first drum kit that is within my budget and the yamaha dtxplorer caught my attention, i just want to ask your valueable opinion on it? is it good?

im no big drum player, i am looking for a kit that fits my needs and worth every penny i will spend.

thanks in advance!

every opinions and suggestions are very much welcome!

The DTXplorer is a decent "student" kit. Fairly lightweight stuff, lots of plastic, OK sounds. Pretty much the least expensive kit I would recommend you get. Anything less is just junk.

As long as your needs don't include gigging, serious recording, or heavy hitting, this will get you started. The stock cymbals are single-zone, so if you want to get rim sounds and be able to choke the sound, you will need to upgrade at least one of them.

Comment

I've looked at it (as I too am in the market to get my first kit). Honestly, I tried the Roland TD-3 (though it is like $900...so a deal more expensive) and the mesh snare pad makes such a huge difference. I'd say get the DTXplorer if you want a bare bones kit to start out and learn...but if you can sport the extra $200, I'd definitely recommend something a little better.

Comment

thanks for the inputs.

yes, i dont go to gigs or use the kit for recording. i will only use it for myself.

i just want a decent kit that has its potential to be a great kit.

i plan to upgrade the snare to a dual trigger or mesh type one in the future.

more inputs please? especially on first hand experiences.

thanx!

Comment

I bought my first kit a little more than a month ago. I got a Roland TD-6SW and I love it. I guess with ekits you can either get the cheapest possible and save for a better one or spend a little more up front for a kit that you can upgrade easy. If it were me, and I had the extra $200 I'd stick with the Roland TD-3. You get your mesh head and dual trigger cymbals. Plus it's Roland, which is better anyway.
          TD-6V Module, 3 PD-8s (soon to be 4), 2 CY-8s (soon to be 3), 1 CY-5, KD-8 with double Left footed Pearl Eliminators, FD-8 HH control.

Comment

I am also new to V-Drums. Went to the local drum centre on Saturday to try both the Yamaha and Roland setups. The Yamaha felt plasticy and wasn't at all nice to play and the brain was very unconvincing with poor sounds. The Roland with mesh heads was far superior especially when combined with the TD9! So I plumped for the Roland T9KX
            TD9KX w/KD-120 kick, VH-11 HH, PD-125 snare, CY-8 crash, Gibralter double pedal :cool:

Comment

Originally posted by Shorty View Post
              I am also new to V-Drums. Went to the local drum centre on Saturday to try both the Yamaha and Roland setups. The Yamaha felt plasticy and wasn't at all nice to play and the brain was very unconvincing with poor sounds. The Roland with mesh heads was far superior especially when combined with the TD9! So I plumped for the Roland T9KX
              Haha wow...quite the jump.

I was gonna go DTXplorer, but I tried the TD-9 and am going to have to go with the TD-9K. Unfortunately, I can't quite afford the jump to the TD-9KX (yes, even if I save up, since all my cash is going to go towards student expenses for the next 2 years). If I manage to scrape up $200, I'll upgrade to the CR12 ride, but other than that, I'm going to have to settle for rubber toms for the time being (which really should be that big of a deal for toms anyways).

Comment

Well not really. The Yamaha was £1k UK and the Roland was another £300 on top. A big leap in quality for not that much more cash!
                TD9KX w/KD-120 kick, VH-11 HH, PD-125 snare, CY-8 crash, Gibralter double pedal :cool:

Comment

I got a Yamaha DTXplorer 2 months ago, this my fist kit ever (acoustic or electronic),

I'm pleased with it , it's a good option to start and learn about drumming, i will definetly will move on in a year or so when i'm more experienced....

Comment

"Plus it's Roland, which is better anyway." This could certainly keep this post going for quite some time.

Basically adl, try both brands out and make your choice on whatever criteria meets your expectations (ie, eye candy appeal; mesh/rubber; price; sounds; etc...). Either one (DTXplorer/TD-3) will be a good basic kit for you to start out on. Good luck with your choice and happy drumming.
                    Attached Files
                    TD-20exp module/TD-10exp * VH-12 hh * Gibraltar hh stand * 4 Hart Hammers * 2-22" kicks w/Pintech triggers & Blastech mesh * 1-14" snare w/Pintech triggers & Hart mesh *2-10", 2-12" & 2-14" roto toms w/Quartz triggers & Hart mesh * 7 PCY-150 cymbals

Comment

Problem here

Originally posted by adl View Post

i just want a decent kit that has its potential to be a great kit.
                      Then the DTXplorer is not the way to go. No portion of it will ever be part of a great kit, with the possible exception of the cymbals for a splash or other accent cymbal.

Get something with a steel rack and as many mesh heads as possible, even if it means starting out small and getting by with some DIY cymbals for a bit.

Comment

Roland TD-3,had 1 before(sold for health issues).All better now and looking forward to getting another around xmas time.Imo it kills the yamaha DTXplorer.But its your choice in the end.
                        TD3 + SPD-6 and love it

Comment

big thanks for the inputs guys!

funny thing is i posted a thread about the dtxplorer and all of a sudden it became a dtxplorer vs td3 thread haha but it made me think haha i am personally leaning more on the roland td3, i think its a better investment because of all the things that comes with it.. it $300 more than the dtxplorer but i think its worth every penny.

wildwes, nice kit man!

Comment

Good for you mate,that $300 is worth every penny.Let us know what you think when you get it.Enjoy and watch out for series Gas.
                            TD3 + SPD-6 and love it

Comment

"Plus it's Roland, which is better anyway." This could certainly keep this post going for quite some time.

But it obviously hasn't...
                              TD-6V Module, 3 PD-8s (soon to be 4), 2 CY-8s (soon to be 3), 1 CY-5, KD-8 with double Left footed Pearl Eliminators, FD-8 HH control.

Comment

Working...
                              X