Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TD9 was a disappointment

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • TD9 was a disappointment

    Last weekend, i went to the local drumstore to check for some new pedals. I got myself a single DW7000 pedal, which is great to me. I couldn't resist and try out the TD9 module, as they had a TD9-KX kit overthere for demo.

    My oh my. To me that was a real dissapointment. Maybe it was the headphones i had on or whatsoever, but it really sounded like 'plastic' to me. A few months ago i used a TD6V and now am the owner of a TD20 module, but the 9 just sounded like a 6 to me..

    Maybe i expected more from a new module..
    TD-20 brain, TDW-20 expanded! MDS-20BK, 3x PD125, 2x PD105, 3x CY-14C, CY-15R, CY-12R/C, Hart ECII-10B, VH-11, KD-120, Tama IronCobra Rolling Glides and pearl hardware.
    Loving it every second..

  • #2
    I'd have to agree. I tried one this weekend and was definately not blown away.

    Comment


    • #3
      I disagree. I think the sounds are excellent and the out-of-the-box kits are very good.
      Bear in mind that things like headphone quality and user set-up have a huge imact on what you hear.
      . digitalDrummer
      Review index

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by rbressers View Post
        Last weekend, i went to the local drumstore to check for some new pedals. I got myself a single DW7000 pedal, which is great to me. I couldn't resist and try out the TD9 module, as they had a TD9-KX kit overthere for demo.

        My oh my. To me that was a real dissapointment. Maybe it was the headphones i had on or whatsoever, but it really sounded like 'plastic' to me. A few months ago i used a TD6V and now am the owner of a TD20 module, but the 9 just sounded like a 6 to me..

        Maybe i expected more from a new module..
        Headphones man, headphones. I tried a TD-9 with some cheapish $80 Audio Technica headphones, and it absolutely blew away the TD-20 with the $30 Vic Firth headphones (which IMO, sounded terrible).

        Headphones make such a big difference for things like this, that you just cannot compare 2 modules if you're using different headphones. I did compare the TD-9 and TD-12 directly though, and I'd say the stock kits sounded fairly comparable. I didn't know enough to judge which sounded more natural.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by rbressers View Post
          Last weekend, i went to the local drumstore to check for some new pedals. I got myself a single DW7000 pedal, which is great to me. I couldn't resist and try out the TD9 module, as they had a TD9-KX kit overthere for demo.

          My oh my. To me that was a real dissapointment. Maybe it was the headphones i had on or whatsoever, but it really sounded like 'plastic' to me. A few months ago i used a TD6V and now am the owner of a TD20 module, but the 9 just sounded like a 6 to me..

          Maybe i expected more from a new module..
          I'm sorry you feel that way. It simply may come down to personal preference. I tried a TD12 at my local store and was nervous about buying the TD9 as I was underwhelmed by the 12; good but not great. And for 4 grand plus tax I wouldn't buy it. That said, ever since I took the TD9 out of the box I've been more than pleasantly surprised by the quality of the sounds and tracking...and I haven't even tweaked anything yet. I like the sounds better than the 12! And lets not forget the kit is just over 2 grand. It's not perfect, but I'm a very experienced player and have played edrums before(simmons) and so far I've got nothing bad to say about the TD9's...ok lack of separation for recording...other than that, very good value for money. I bought 25 dollar headphones and they still sound great!

          Comment


          • #6
            Sound quality is very subjective. I've heard people say they don't like DFH Superior which I don't get, but hey, to each his own.
            Drumkat Turbo 4.5, Emulator X3, Superior 2.1, Roland Fantom XR, DTXtreme III, SPD-20 etc.......

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by jrcel View Post
              Sound quality is very subjective. I've heard people say they don't like DFH Superior which I don't get, but hey, to each his own.
              Like I said though, I don't think it's subjective in this case. No source is going to sound good with cheap $30, no matter what the cost. The TD-20 would sound just as bad as the TD-9.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by ex0du5 View Post
                Like I said though, I don't think it's subjective in this case. No source is going to sound good with cheap $30, no matter what the cost. The TD-20 would sound just as bad as the TD-9.
                I guess that's the whole point. I've got some very heavy Denon headphones which are very very good. In the drumstore i heard it through cheap-feel headphones, so i guess you're very right.
                TD-20 brain, TDW-20 expanded! MDS-20BK, 3x PD125, 2x PD105, 3x CY-14C, CY-15R, CY-12R/C, Hart ECII-10B, VH-11, KD-120, Tama IronCobra Rolling Glides and pearl hardware.
                Loving it every second..

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by rbressers View Post
                  I guess that's the whole point. I've got some very heavy Denon headphones which are very very good. In the drumstore i heard it through cheap-feel headphones, so i guess you're very right.
                  AH-D2000? What Denons you using? Even the lower end $100 Denons are pretty damn good headphones, and will completely massacre the Vic Firth plastic headphones. A lot of music stores seem to use those Vic Firth headphones, and like I said, the TD-20 sounded absolutely terrible with them. Sounded very synthesized and "plastic" as you said.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I have a td-12 kit, and I grabbed a td-9 module to use as a backup (got a spectacular deal). Anyway, I also have a pm-30 system. I did a factory reset on my 12 module and compared the two "out of the box." The 9 has a superior sound OUT OF THE BOX. I then uploaded my "tweaked" kits.....the ones for my 12 that I have editted. These were way better than the 9. So, in my opinion, the 9 is a great value and sounds excellent. I think those headphones you were using altered the sound. The td-9 with the pm-30 is pretty nice. I still love my td-12, though. Wouldn't trade it for the world (although I would trade it for the 20). Just my .02.

                    SS

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      FWIW .... Both my TD6 and TD12 sounded poor using the stock kits. I tweaked the 6 and then 12 to the point where they sound like totally different modules then stock , much better. I have not played the 9, but it seems that the stock kits just don't do any of the modules any justice. I don't understand why Roland would go this route, especially with the Yamaha product line (and VSTs) as compitition ....

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by vdrummer20 View Post
                        FWIW .... Both my TD6 and TD12 sounded poor using the stock kits. I tweaked the 6 and then 12 to the point where they sound like totally different modules then stock , much better. I have not played the 9, but it seems that the stock kits just don't do any of the modules any justice. I don't understand why Roland would go this route, especially with the Yamaha product line (and VSTs) as compitition ....
                        What headphones were you using? Often times people would need to tweak the kits (acting more as a general EQ) to make up for their headphones shortcomings. Then again, the kits might be bad as you say. Or it might be a matter of personal preference.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by ex0du5 View Post
                          AH-D2000? What Denons you using? Even the lower end $100 Denons are pretty damn good headphones, and will completely massacre the Vic Firth plastic headphones. A lot of music stores seem to use those Vic Firth headphones, and like I said, the TD-20 sounded absolutely terrible with them. Sounded very synthesized and "plastic" as you said.
                          No it's actually a Denon DN-HP1000. This HP has 5cm drivers and it blows your ears off, because it's made for the professional DJ. It's my headphone of choice, because the sound is so damn clear and the bass can make your ears blow off

                          See it at : http://www.denondj.com/prodview_item.asp?pid=59

                          They cost around EUR150 in the Netherlands, which will be around $220 orso.
                          TD-20 brain, TDW-20 expanded! MDS-20BK, 3x PD125, 2x PD105, 3x CY-14C, CY-15R, CY-12R/C, Hart ECII-10B, VH-11, KD-120, Tama IronCobra Rolling Glides and pearl hardware.
                          Loving it every second..

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            What headphones were you using?
                            I revieved a free CY-8 and Roland Headphones when I picked up my TD6V in November of 2006. It was a promo that they had. I think the headphones are great, but not the best out there. The stock kits sound very dry and lifeless. I think my preference is to crank up the ambiance, adjust the relative volume of the drums and cymbals, and tune the drums up a bit.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by jrcel View Post
                              Sound quality is very subjective. I've heard people say they don't like DFH Superior which I don't get, but hey, to each his own.
                              Exactly. Some folks just don't like DFH. Me..? I am an DFH Superior addict! No wonder I ended up ordering e-drums
                              TD9KX w/KD-120 kick, VH-11 HH, PD-125 snare, CY-8 crash, Gibralter double pedal :cool:

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X