Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PD-80R triggering with a TD-20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PD-80R triggering with a TD-20

Hi all,
    I express a doubt regarding my own PD-80R. I connected it to my TD-20 module using the AUX-4 input, and it works fine. It triggers both head and rim with no problem.
    My doubt is : when striking the center of the head , the sound is correct, loud and perfect. But when I go towards the edge, the sound gets thinner and thinner and the volume is much softer. Since positional sensing should be supported only with the snare input, I guess I'm having some problems with the pad. Should I go for detaching the mesh and cleaning the piezos or is there some settings to play with on the module itself?
    thanks for your help
    Roland TD-20/MDS-20BK/1 PD-80R/4 PD-105BK/4 CY12R/C/1 PD-7/1 KD-120/1 VH-12/1 PD-125BK/1 CY-15R/1 Tama HP9000RG Iron Cobra Double Pedal/1 Tama HH905 Iron Cobra Hi-Hat stand/1 Tama HS700WN snare Stand
    meet me at http://web.mac.com/lucaepaola

Originally posted by ddregs View Post
    Since positional sensing should be supported only with the snare input
    Where on earth did you get that from?
    TD-50KV extended kit with KD-A22 kick, DW pedals/stands. SPD-30 and SPD-SX. TD-30 for additional triggers & layering. Muse Receptor 2+ Pro w/ SD v2.4.4.

Comment

Originally posted by CobaltSky View Post
      Where on earth did you get that from?
      You are so right. I played using a TD-8 until 2 months ago, and that was it. Now with the TD-20 it should be normal. But my perplexity is , to get a full round sound I have to hit the central spot only on the PD-80R. It's more difficult than it seems now... Maybe there's a way to disable it on the single pad if that's the problem...
      Roland TD-20/MDS-20BK/1 PD-80R/4 PD-105BK/4 CY12R/C/1 PD-7/1 KD-120/1 VH-12/1 PD-125BK/1 CY-15R/1 Tama HP9000RG Iron Cobra Double Pedal/1 Tama HH905 Iron Cobra Hi-Hat stand/1 Tama HS700WN snare Stand

Comment

I haven't looked into whether there's a way to disable positional sensing as such, but if nothing else, you could probably do so by selecting a different trigger/pad type (one that doesn't have positional sensing capabilities) for that input. Might require a bit of experimentation with other settings to get a triggering combo that works.

However if it were me, the last thing I'd be wanting to do is *disable* position sensing. It's one of the things that introduces variation between hits and makes the TD-20 sound natural and interesting and human-sounding. As with acoustic drums, where you hit the head affects how it sounds (and how loud it sounds).

If anything, I'd suggest you play around with the sensitivity settings and curves for AUX4, to see if you can flatten out the differentiation between hits a bit and get it a little more even, without "flatlining" everything.
        TD-50KV extended kit with KD-A22 kick, DW pedals/stands. SPD-30 and SPD-SX. TD-30 for additional triggers & layering. Muse Receptor 2+ Pro w/ SD v2.4.4.

Comment

Thanks a lot CobaltSky for your suggestions.
          I'll try as soon as I get back home.

Comment

Working...
          X