Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Headphones for TD-9

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headphones for TD-9

Alright, so since I've decided on the TD-9, I have to decide on the headphones. I'm probably looking in the $100 range. Don't recommend me the DT770, I hate em!

I want something that sounds great and seals well. My main contender at this point is the Sennheiser HD280. I know they sound decent (decent enough for what I need them for anyways), but I'm not sure how the isolation is. Anyone try these out?

Whatever the headphones are, I don't want bass monsters like the DT770. I want some pronounced bass, but not boomy distorted bass with lack of mids. I'm curious about the Denon D1000, since they seem to be in the range as well.

I like the Sony 7506 they're also at the top of the once and for all headphone thread http://vdrums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22683
    [SIGPIC]

Comment

I should note I want to try to go circumaural if possible (around the ear, rather than sitting on the ear). I'll check the Sony's out, though I'm wary, since their $80 DJ (or VJ is it?) headphones are junk. I know they've got some good stuff though, so I'll keep an open mind.

Sorry, I forgot to search before posting...I'll read through the other thread to get the info I need. Thanks.

Comment

I bought these recently: Audio Technica ATHM40fs

for my TD 12 kit, and they sound amazing. Great price, and great sound quality.

You can check out some reviews on Amazon.com:
        http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica.../dp/B0002D03ZW

Comment

Originally posted by ex0du5 View Post
          My main contender at this point is the Sennheiser HD280.
          For what it's worth, I've been quite happy with mine. Got them for under $70 at a music store that was going out of business and clearing out inventory. They're fairly comfortable, good response, good isolation and have held up fairly well. But, I think headphones come down to your own personal preference. Everyone has a different opinion.
          >>>See my E-kit here<<<

>>>See my A-kit here<<<

Comment

Originally posted by tricky92 View Post
            I bought these recently: Audio Technica ATHM40fs

for my TD 12 kit, and they sound amazing. Great price, and great sound quality.

You can check out some reviews on Amazon.com:
            http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica.../dp/B0002D03ZW

I have these as well. They are really good. Sometimes they fall off my head when I really get to jamming though.
            TD-6V Module, 3 PD-8s (soon to be 4), 2 CY-8s (soon to be 3), 1 CY-5, KD-8 with double Left footed Pearl Eliminators, FD-8 HH control.

Comment

I ordered the Ultrasone HFI-580. They are sexy looking headphones and are tweaked for electronic drumming. I think they have a bit of a recessed midrange though (to emphasize the drums). A little pricey (found them as cheap as $165), but I think a good pair of headphones is very important to the quality of the sound you hear from the module.

Anyways, here they are:

Hopefully I receive these soon enough.

Comment

Sennheiser HD-25 II

Sennheiser HD-25 II (pro model) are are extremely good for V drums. They are small lightweight and are used in pro broadcasting - so very accurate and dynamic (up to 120 db SPL). You see all the sports event commentators wearing them. Many studios use them for drummers for recording because they have excellent isolation -17 db SPL. They also make a great pair of travel headphones - nobody will steal them because they look cheap. The secret is that they sound great - as good as the best. They have a very long track record - so you don't get todays over hyped mushy bass sound.

They are expensive for good reason - they are professional sound quality - no heavy over emphasized bass - clean tight and extremely dynamic (very important for drums). I was afraid of going to isolated cup earphones as they nearly always sound terrible - these were an extremely pleasant surprise...they replaced my Studio AKG 240's which while good sounding just did not work well because they are open headphones
                TD-30 with VH-11, PD125, PD85, PD85, PD105, CY15 R, CY14 C, CY12 C, KD140, KD8 (left foot clave), DW 8000 long-board double kick, PM30. ATC SCM 100A Studio Monitors + ATC 0.1/15 Sub. Benchmark DAC1. Sennheiser HD 25-II headphones. AKG 240 (original from late 70's). Gibson Les Paul Supreme.

Comment

Originally posted by Shadorne View Post
                  Sennheiser HD-25 II (pro model) are are extremely good for V drums. They are small lightweight and are used in pro broadcasting - so very accurate and dynamic (up to 120 db SPL). You see all the sports event commentators wearing them. Many studios use them for drummers for recording because they have excellent isolation -17 db SPL. They also make a great pair of travel headphones - nobody will steal them because they look cheap. The secret is that they sound great - as good as the best. They have a very long track record - so you don't get todays over hyped mushy bass sound.

They are expensive for good reason - they are professional sound quality - no heavy over emphasized bass - clean tight and extremely dynamic (very important for drums). I was afraid of going to isolated cup earphones as they nearly always sound terrible - these were an extremely pleasant surprise...they replaced my Studio AKG 240's which while good sounding just did not work well because they are open headphones
                  You still have your 240's? If so, are you interested in selling them? I could do with a second pair for my studio.
                  Are they the K240M 600 ohm ones?

Comment

headphones are a very personal thing. one that works for some may not for others. for general studio use i love my akg 240-s (both vesions) and sony 7506s and vr-6s with the crappy ear pads that crumble away. playing live i love the lightweight akg k66-s. its like your not even wearing headphones and they dont slide off your head.i hate the fake leather ear pads used on so many headphones today. they dont last. it makes me laugh that high end headphone makers use these type pads. i have akg 240-s from the 80-s that dont need new earpads.

Comment

My Ultrasones sound great and, as important, are very comfortable. I've used others where I wanted to quit after 1/2 hour because of discomfort.

http://tinyurl.com/My-E-kit

Comment

ATH-m50

I found the Audio technica ATH-M50 headphones for $100 new on ebay. These are used by some well known engineers for mixing and sound great for v drums.

I like to have an accurate sound,otherwise any editing you do on the headphones will have to be reset when you playback through speakers.

The sennheiser hd580's are great but need an external amp.

Peter

Comment

Originally posted by Peter W View Post
                          I found the Audio technica ATH-M50 headphones for $100 new on ebay. These are used by some well known engineers for mixing and sound great for v drums.

I like to have an accurate sound,otherwise any editing you do on the headphones will have to be reset when you playback through speakers.

The sennheiser hd580's are great but need an external amp.

Peter
                          That's a great deal. I have the ATH-M50s as well...great phones.

Comment

Sorry not planning to sell

Originally posted by SuperPuss View Post
                            You still have your 240's? If so, are you interested in selling them? I could do with a second pair for my studio.
                            Are they the K240M 600 ohm ones?
                            These AKG 240 are 1980 vintage, indeed the old 600 ohm model that made AKG famous. They are old and tired. No plans to sell. No plans to replace them either, as the very best today is still only just marginally better (and a lot of what is out there today is even more bass heavy and actually even less accurate)

BTW - On another thread, I followed your photos/instructions on the CY12 bell shim fix and it worked a treat. Thx to you and all the others before you (like Michael Render) who handed down this clever fix. Extremely puzzling that Roland don't fix it with a recall. My TD-9 set is brand new and it has the exact same C12 Bell issue as reported many moons ago....
                            TD-30 with VH-11, PD125, PD85, PD85, PD105, CY15 R, CY14 C, CY12 C, KD140, KD8 (left foot clave), DW 8000 long-board double kick, PM30. ATC SCM 100A Studio Monitors + ATC 0.1/15 Sub. Benchmark DAC1. Sennheiser HD 25-II headphones. AKG 240 (original from late 70's). Gibson Les Paul Supreme.

Comment

Originally posted by Shadorne View Post
                              These AKG 240 are 1980 vintage, indeed the old 600 ohm model that made AKG famous. They are old and tired. No plans to sell. No plans to replace them either, as the very best today is still only just marginally better (and a lot of what is out there today is even more bass heavy and actually even less accurate)

BTW - On another thread, I followed your photos/instructions on the CY12 bell shim fix and it worked a treat. Thx to you and all the others before you (like Michael Render) who handed down this clever fix. Extremely puzzling that Roland don't fix it with a recall. My TD-9 set is brand new and it has the exact same C12 Bell issue as reported many moons ago....
                              That's great news about your bell fix. Glad it worked for you as well as it has worked for many of us

My AKG's are the 600 ohm model too. They sounded good when I bought them (obviously that is why I bought them) but they sound much better now that they've been 'run in'. Speakers are the same. Most people don't realise that speakers and headphones take a certain amount of time to 'loosen up' before they sound their best.
                              I always base my purchasing decisions on such items by listening to well used models. That way, I get an idea of what they will sound like rather than what I hear from new ones that will change.

Comment

Working...
                              X