Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TD-6 vs. TD-9

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TD-6 vs. TD-9

I'm a new drummer, looking to buy his first kit. I've demoed a few kits today (TD-9, DTXplorer [yuk], etc...) and am conflicted with what to purchase.

While I really like the TD-9K (can't really afford the TD-9KX), I am wondering if it would be worth the savings to go to the cheaper TD-6SW. In the end, it looks like I could probably get the TD-6SW for $400 cheaper than the TD-9K. From what I see, both kits seem to be fairly identical physically. Newer 8-inch mesh snare, different rack on the TD-9, and the difference in sound modules of course.

What are your your thoughts on the differences between the TD-6SW and TD-9KX (especially the sound modules). I mean, I see that the TD-6 is missing some features (lack of instrument paramaters perhaps?), but it also has more percussion sounds (1024 vs 522) and more built in tracks. What are the pros and cons to each model? Is the TD-9 worth the $400 difference in price?

Thanks for your input.

Decisions, decisions

I have a TD-6 and got a demo from Drew on the TD-9. Obviously the TD-9 module is incredible but there are some features that the TD-6 has that they took out to make the TD-9 more cost effective (pad pattern being one of them). The TD-9 rack is a major thing to consider. It is much sturdier than the TD-6 and more flexible with setup.

I ended up last October getting the MDS-20 rack and using ball mount L-arms for the high hats. Roland has included this type of hardware with the TD-9.

If I were starting all over again, and based on just the rack, hardware and module difference alone I'd go for the TD-9. Get the rubber pads to start and upgrade to mesh and a 3-way ride cymbal as you go.
    Frequent GAS Sufferer

TD-9, RMP-12, RMP-5 & SonicCell on Gibraltar Quad Stands.

Comment

A personal view only, but I have a TD6V, and had a long play with a TD9 a while back, and I really wasn't that impressed with the sounds at all. It's a lovely looking module, and the usb port is useful, but I found it awkward to navigate the menu's (not as intuitive as the 6) and I prefer the sounds of the 6 by far, but that may be because I am used to it.
      I'd save the $400 to be honest, and then you have more money for GAS.

Comment

Get the TD6, pick up a vex pack (or four) and then upgrade the module after your GAS account fills up again. You may also want to explor the softer side of E-drums (what?) .. Take a look at DFH or similar PC solutions. Good luck.

Comment

Well thanks a lot for the input guys. I'm going to have to investigate the TD-6 then. My only concern now is the stand, since the one for the 6 isn't foldable, so I'm not sure how good it will be with my space constraints (it would be good for me to be able to fold the arms in when I'm not playing).

The other downside is the lack of USB port, since I couldn't quickly save my recordings to USB media. I suppose I could playback to the mic input on my laptop and record like that.

edit: damn...just listened to the VEX pack sample 1 for the TD-6. Sounds better than any of the stock kits. I'm impressed.

Comment

Originally posted by ex0du5 View Post
            Well thanks a lot for the input guys. I'm going to have to investigate the TD-6 then. My only concern now is the stand, since the one for the 6 isn't foldable, so I'm not sure how good it will be with my space constraints (it would be good for me to be able to fold the arms in when I'm not playing).

The other downside is the lack of USB port, since I couldn't quickly save my recordings to USB media. I suppose I could playback to the mic input on my laptop and record like that.

edit: damn...just listened to the VEX pack sample 1 for the TD-6. Sounds better than any of the stock kits. I'm impressed.
            Look at my Hart kit pics, you can fold the arms in on that rack and it's very sturdy (and I hit hard, so would know)

Comment

Originally posted by KevH View Post
              Look at my Hart kit pics, you can fold the arms in on that rack and it's very sturdy (and I hit hard, so would know)
              Damn nice kit.

Yeah it seems when I look for pics, there are 2 model stands that seem to be featured with the TD-6. One is foldable, one is not. If I get the foldable one, I should be fine.

As for the Vex packs. What are they exactly? The site doesn't even specify. Is it just software? Or is there actually hardware? If it is hardware, how much space does it take, and can you mount it?

Comment

VEX kits are software that you transfer to the module. Essentially, they are pre-tweaked kits made by professional () programers. I think the non-foldable stand is the rarer of the 2.

Comment

Alright well I just checked out the rack quickly today. Honestly, I like the look of the TD-6 rack better, and I find it feels plenty sturdy for my needs. (scratch that...it definitely doesn't have the stability of the 9).

1) Are the snares drastically different? I believe the TD-6 kit comes with the PDX-8 and the TD-9 kit comes with the PD-85.

2) The biggest thing for me is the sound module. A poster claimed the TD-6 has better sounds...is this the general feeling? Does one sound noticeably better than the other? Is one more expandable than the other?

3) Also, about how long does it take for VEX packs to get released? As of right now, they are a big selling feature for me towards the TD-6, since I'm really not trained enough to know how to tweak my own kits. The presets are likely what I will use 98% of the time, so the VEX expansions are very appealing. I'd get the $125 big shebang.

4) The fact that the TD-6 has double the amount of built in percussion sounds. Is this an issue at all? Does this mean that there are likely more sounds to build proper VEX kits with? If that's the case, would I expect the VEX kits for the TD-9 to be worse?

Sorry I have so many questions. I'm just trying to get as much input as possible before I jump head first into the world of drumming/e-drumming. I probably need to act quickly enough though, as TD-6 are becoming scarce.

edit: well I think I'll be going to the TD-9. I'm sure the sound is great. The stand and simply the features (quick record + play, usb storage) make the jump worth it to me, I think.
                  Last edited by ex0du5; 05-16-08, 12:56 PM.

Comment

Not directly answering your questions here, but don't be afraid to look at the Hart kits, mine was cheaper than the equivalent Roland kit with all mesh heads from the off.
                    Give Flurbs a PM and ask him about them, if he hasn't been in touch!

Comment

1. Yes, the PDX-8 has a side mounted trigger not a central one, so no Pos Sensing with modules that do that (not that the 6/9 do, but if you upgrade at some point......). Also, some really dont like the rim on the X8.

2. I think thats only because the poster is aclimateised to the sounds of the 6. Those in the 9 are at least 1 generation newer, some more. What do you mean by expandable?

3. Depends how long the VEX guys take to program them. They have to learn the module and then start working on it. Honestly, they'll be worth the wait!

4. Not really no. I think that Roland is doing less daft sounds. Compare the soundset lists, I think they are realising that realism is what we really want. I seriously doubt the VEX kits would be worse......

As with everything, my advice is always to buy the best you can afford, that way, it should last you longer. Which is what it looks like you are going to do! Have fun!

Comment

Originally posted by ige87 View Post
                        1. Yes, the PDX-8 has a side mounted trigger not a central one, so no Pos Sensing with modules that do that (not that the 6/9 do, but if you upgrade at some point......). Also, some really dont like the rim on the X8.

2. I think thats only because the poster is aclimateised to the sounds of the 6. Those in the 9 are at least 1 generation newer, some more. What do you mean by expandable?

3. Depends how long the VEX guys take to program them. They have to learn the module and then start working on it. Honestly, they'll be worth the wait!

4. Not really no. I think that Roland is doing less daft sounds. Compare the soundset lists, I think they are realising that realism is what we really want. I seriously doubt the VEX kits would be worse......

As with everything, my advice is always to buy the best you can afford, that way, it should last you longer. Which is what it looks like you are going to do! Have fun!
                        Thanks for the advice. I think my decision of going with the TD-9 is solidifying. Now, I just need to find a way to finance this purchase. As I'm a university co-op student, I work 4 months on, 4 months off (where I study). I really don't feel like waiting 4 months until my next term to purchase, so the $40 I might pay in interest to get it that much sooner should be worth it.

As for the Hart kits...I'm going to lay off for now. I prefer starting out with an easy built kit from a local retailer, where I can deal for a pretty good price and have more flexibility in terms of returns and improve relations for future purchases. I might think about upgrading to some Hart components down the line, but for now, I'm going to go with the TD-9K.

Comment

I started off with a reasonably cheap TD6V and upgraded to a TD20 a year later. You WILL be upgrading to a TD20 anyway
                          TD-20 brain, TDW-20 expanded! MDS-20BK, 3x PD125, 2x PD105, 3x CY-14C, CY-15R, CY-12R/C, Hart ECII-10B, VH-11, KD-120, Tama IronCobra Rolling Glides and pearl hardware.
                          Loving it every second..

Comment

I got a TD-6SW about a month and a half go, and I think it's great for the price. My only really complaint thus far is the rack. But it has nothing to do with folding it up as I just recently moved to a new apartment and I think it folds up nicely. My complaint about it is in the adjustability. I can't find a really comfortable position for the HiHat. It's nothing terrible though. I think the sounds are great and it's easy to edit kits.
                            TD-6V Module, 3 PD-8s (soon to be 4), 2 CY-8s (soon to be 3), 1 CY-5, KD-8 with double Left footed Pearl Eliminators, FD-8 HH control.

Comment

Originally posted by rbressers View Post
                              I started off with a reasonably cheap TD6V and upgraded to a TD20 a year later. You WILL be upgrading to a TD20 anyway
                              Hehe. Eventually yes, but not for at least another 2 years. I don't graduate university for another 2 years, so I won't have the cash flow until I start working full time. Because of that, I think I'll get the best set I can afford at the moment. That's likely The TD-9K (unless my parents offer to pitch in for the TD-9KX).

edit: went out tonight and shopped around. Having a hard time finding a good deal on these sought after babies.
                              Last edited by ex0du5; 05-16-08, 07:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X