Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TD-9 Problems with RDB Input

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • TD-9 Problems with RDB Input

    Hey does anybody else have a problem where the RDB connector is not triggering the ride bell? I have it hooked up to a custom ride but have also tried hooking it up to a seperate trigger while my RD cable is plugged in and it doesn't ever seem to respond. I'm not sure, do you have to use a CY-12RC for this feature? Does somebody mind plugging their RDB cable into something like a CY-8 and see if they get any response in the module? Thanks... Maybe I got a bad module.

  • #2
    The TD-9 Ride Bell input can't function as an independent input connected to its own trigger. It only works as a second input from the Ride Bow trigger, and would need to be connected to a switch not a piezo. It's only intended to be used with a CY-12R/C or CY-15R.


    Bruce

    Comment


    • #3
      Alright I think I get it. So if my bell on the custom ride is a piezo and not a switch it won't work because it is either on or off not pressure sensitive. So I would probably need the roland cymbal for this to work.

      Comment


      • #4
        No, you can use a piezo, but you'll also need the Raper circuit. See DIY section sticky.

        Comment


        • #5
          No, you can use a piezo, you just need to know what you're doing with the trigger settings.

          Hit ride -> go to trigger settings -> advanced settings -> rim settings -> increase rim-gain parameter.

          If it's anything like the TD12/TD20, that parameter will be at 0.8 for rim-switch type triggering. Increasing it to 2.5 - 3.0 should give you what you need. (Remember that the ride bell triggers off the 'rim' input (ring on a TRS jack) for the ride cymbal).

          Simon

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by flurbs View Post
            No, you can use a piezo, you just need to know what you're doing with the trigger settings.

            Hit ride -> go to trigger settings -> advanced settings -> rim settings -> increase rim-gain parameter.

            If it's anything like the TD12/TD20, that parameter will be at 0.8 for rim-switch type triggering. Increasing it to 2.5 - 3.0 should give you what you need. (Remember that the ride bell triggers off the 'rim' input (ring on a TRS jack) for the ride cymbal).

            Simon
            Doesn't this conflict with what you said a few months ago?:

            Originally posted by flurbs View Post
            TD10 cymbal inputs cannot accept dual-piezo inputs without modification. The rim/bell input is expecting a switch open/close signal rather than a piezo impulse voltage.

            You can either rig up a virtual-rim-switch circuit (do a search), or simply split the bell trigger into its own input instead...
            (Different module but same situation?)


            Bruce

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by BarT View Post
              Doesn't this conflict with what you said a few months ago?:
              Don't think so...


              Originally posted by BarT View Post
              (Different module but same situation?)

              The trouble here is that the TD10 (older post) literally cannot accept dual-trigger pads without modifiaction of the trigger signal (raper circuit and likewise, which essentially fool the module into thinking that the piezo spike is a switch closing). The TD10 does not have a rim-gain setting by which to alter the voltage range that the rim input is looking for.

              The TD9 DOES have that rim gain setting, which effectively lowers the voltage range that is expected from a rim-switch to the range that a piezo typically puts out.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by flurbs View Post
                The TD10 does not have a rim-gain setting by which to alter the voltage range that the rim input is looking for.
                OK, thanks. I hadn't appreciated that cause of the difference.


                Bruce

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by monkeymanx View Post
                  Hey does anybody else have a problem where the RDB connector is not triggering the ride bell? I have it hooked up to a custom ride but have also tried hooking it up to a seperate trigger while my RD cable is plugged in and it doesn't ever seem to respond. I'm not sure, do you have to use a CY-12RC for this feature? Does somebody mind plugging their RDB cable into something like a CY-8 and see if they get any response in the module? Thanks... Maybe I got a bad module.
                  BUMP!

                  Any update on this? Did you get the results you were looking for with the rim-gain adjustment?

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X