Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Adding a 3rd CY-8 to a TD3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding a 3rd CY-8 to a TD3?

I have owned a TD3 for a few weeks and have already become a little disheartended with it.

So, I have invested in a TD8 module and have also replaced the rubber PD-8s with Traps 8,10 and 12" Toms.

Because I have to completely strip down the rack to fit the Toms, I have decided to add a 2nd Crash (CY-8) at the same time.

I am assuming that the mount/boom will go between the 2 Toms, but just wondered if anyone has any advice for me?

Does anyone have any photos, or know of any Gotchas that I might run into?

Anything you can tell me would be appreciated

Jon

Having done acoustics prior to Vdrums and gone back and forth over the last 8 years, I am kind of set in my ways. I have my Vdrums setup pretty much like I am used to setting up the acoustics, albiet in a more compact configuration. This may be different for you and I have certainly seen others evolve their configuration in terms of placement where they have found improved levels of comfort/playability. Enjoy that TD-8.
    Yamaha Birch Custom Absolute | Zildjian Ks

Comment

I have tons of pics of additions and mods to an MDS-3C rack in my kit pics link in my signature. Scroll up to earlier posts in that link to see my pre-cage setup.

One thing you will find if you are using the clamps that come with the 3C rack is that whenever you want to swap anything around that isn't on an outer arm, you may need to pull your rack apart completely.
      You could buy a bunch of clamps from the TD12 or TD20 range and they can be removed without pulling everything apart. I believe also that Gibraltar and other hardware will fit the MDS-3C tubes too.

Comment

Yep, it'll all fit SP as its all a standard size of 1.5 inches.

Comment

Hi Jon,

I tend to agree with Tripp2K's comments - coming from an acoustic background I also set up my TD-6V much like my old Gretsch kit used to be to avoid learning new "movements"....(flying blind I call it)

As per SP and ige87's advice - If you get a couple of the splittable clamps from the TD12/20 racks you can position them in the middle of each bar with the TD-3 clamps on the ends of each of the bars (to avoid having to remove the TD-3 clamps). Easy and fairly cheap - works well on my TD-6V with an SPD-20 mounted above the hanging toms and an extra PD-8 for a second floor tom.

Gotchas may include a bit of passive triggering of your extra cymbal when you start to "take off"....adjusting the sensitivity is a bit of a compromise...but when you're rapping it out a bit of extra triggering adds to the "wall of sound"....

Sorry to hear that you're disheartened...I have to say that I'm really impressed with the tunability and sounds from my TD-6V - if you spend some time selecting and balancing the individual kit pieces with a bit of subtle reverb you may come away more impressed.....

Comment

Originally posted by Hercules View Post
            Hi Jon,

I tend to agree with Tripp2K's comments - coming from an acoustic background I also set up my TD-6V much like my old Gretsch kit used to be to avoid learning new "movements"....(flying blind I call it)

Sorry to hear that you're disheartened...I have to say that I'm really impressed with the tunability and sounds from my TD-6V - if you spend some time selecting and balancing the individual kit pieces with a bit of subtle reverb you may come away more impressed.....
            Many thanks for that.. My problem is that I don't know how an acoustic kit is setup.. I am assuming that a good place for an extra crash is between Tom 1 and 2, but I simply don't know.

As for being disheartened, this isn't really a critisism.. My problem is that I am learning on an acoustic kit and it sounds great.. But then I go back and do the same on my TD3 and it sounds awful. The Tom in particular sound rubbish.

The problem I have is that for each type of drum, there are only 8-10 different sounds.. And once you ignore the 'silly' ones, there are only a couple left.

For example on the kick drum, there are literally TWO sounds which sound anything like real drums and neither of them sound right ot me.

I had a play with the TD6 at the weekend and its MUCH better.. I was immediatly able to find 100s of sounds which to me sound like real drums.

THis is why I went for a TD8 (Which should be here this week).. not only do I get an amazing choice of sounds, but the flexability to change them as well.. Hopefully with this, I can spend a bit of time 'creating' a kit which sounds a lot closer to the acoustic kit I am learning on!

Cheers all

Jon

Comment

Working...
            X