Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another Behringer Horror Story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Behringer Horror Story

This is a follow up to the "Headphone Mixer Amp" thread of a couple of weeks ago. In that thread, I brought up the usual issue about the spottiness of Behringer quality.

I mentioned our two Behringer Powerplay PRO-XL headphone amps and how we've had nothing but problems with them.

Well, we took em down for our gig last weekend. We did some serious woodshedding beforehand which gave the Sound Babe a chance to play around with monitor mixes and setup. These amps have been sitting unused in a church for the better part of a year now.

One channel is constantly red lined. Every other channel is spotty. She would tap it or jiggle it and yeah, she'd get a connection. But turn the entire thing off, then power it up again, and the same channel may or may not work. Meanwhile, a channel that worked before is now twitchy.

Both boxes, *every* channel, same result: craptacular reliability. It was so bad, we ditched em and went with two seperate monitor mixes (one for the singers, one for me and the lead guitarist) coming out of the board. That's the most we can do without headphone/monitor amps.

It seems that just sitting around actually made these things worse than we remember. Either that or our memories of their piss poor performance in the past has faded with age and booze.

Now, our Behringer EURODESK SL2442FX-PRO mixing board worked fine. Keep in mind we've had it in the shop once (two years ago) but since then, no problems. Of course we treat it like it's a Ming vase.

Anyway, if you're looking for something like this, take Super Puss's recommendation and get the ART 406 6 Channel Headphone Amplifier. Okay, it doesn't have any of the Behringer's settings (which are nice and provide a slick "more me" feature). But, it's only $20 more than the Behringer and you at least have an expectation of it working.

www.myspace.com/rubberuniverse
    TD-12, DTX502, SD1000, EZDrummer, Diamond Drum 12" snare, S1000 toms/cymbals/kick, PCY10/100/135/155, CY-5/14, Hart Ride, Hart Acupad 8" kick, Epedal Pro II, Concept 1 pads/cymbals, SD1000 & Roland V Sessions racks, PD-7, Kit Toy 10" splash, DMPad ride, SamplePad, PerformancePad Pro

Sound Babe? You guys have a Sound Babe?!?!

No fair. Every sound "person" I've ever met had three days worth of stubble on their face and a gut bigger than my old acoustic kick drum.
    >>>See my E-kit here<<<

>>>See my A-kit here<<<

Comment

Cheers for the thumbs up on my recommendation Grog

Vader, you'll have to visit my town if you get to Aus. There's a few of us 'sound babes' here in Geelong

Comment

Originally posted by SuperPuss View Post
        Vader, you'll have to visit my town if you get to Aus. There's a few of us 'sound babes' here in Geelong
        I don't doubt that for a second, SuperPuss. I had the pleasure of visiting your country several years ago (Sydney, Brisbane, Surfers Paradise, Caines). Definitely no shortage of 'babes' down there.
        >>>See my E-kit here<<<

>>>See my A-kit here<<<

Comment

Grog,
          Sorry to hear of your Behringer troubles. My experiences with them have been virtually the same. Trouble with small items, no trouble with their mixers. I don't treat my mixers all that well and they have worked flawlessly.
          The 4 channel DI's on the other hand... one is fine the other lost a channel (redline garbage) very early on. No consistency.
          Stuff to hit

Comment

The Sound Babe happens to be married to the drummer.

She's always been a techie so it was a natural fit. Plus, as a physicist/electrical engineer, she's the only one that can read the block diagrams for all the equipment.

TD-12, DTX502, SD1000, EZDrummer, Diamond Drum 12" snare, S1000 toms/cymbals/kick, PCY10/100/135/155, CY-5/14, Hart Ride, Hart Acupad 8" kick, Epedal Pro II, Concept 1 pads/cymbals, SD1000 & Roland V Sessions racks, PD-7, Kit Toy 10" splash, DMPad ride, SamplePad, PerformancePad Pro

Comment

Originally posted by grog View Post
              The Sound Babe happens to be married to the drummer.

She's always been a techie so it was a natural fit. Plus, as a physicist/electrical engineer, she's the only one that can read the block diagrams for all the equipment.

You should get her posting on here. I'd love to chat tech stuff with her
              Oh, and I love Quantum Field Theory (even though I am a raw beginner compared to accomplished physicists)

Comment

Oh, and I love Quantum Field Theory (even though I am a raw beginner compared to accomplished physicists)
                -spooky action is one of your hobbies too?

I thought I was the only drum weirdo that dug reading that! I got hooked on Chaos theory in the early 90's, and have been a sci-tard ever since. LOL

E
                - your source for electronic cigs. Use coupon code "" for 10% off every order!!!

Comment

Originally posted by evil1rox View Post
                  -spooky action is one of your hobbies too?

I thought I was the only drum weirdo that dug reading that! I got hooked on Chaos theory in the early 90's, and have been a sci-tard ever since. LOL

E
                  I guess you'll be more than familiar with Z=Z^2+c then

Comment

I guess you'll be more than familiar with Z=Z^2+c then
                    LOL...well I should be....but... it's been so long since I've looked at scientific notation and real equations.. that I'm taking remedial math classes at a local college! I start in 2 wks (no joke!).

-to somewhat get back on track (sorry to divert..) the Behringer headphone mixer we use at practice...has just started to get a little fuzzy on one channel. Everything else on it to my absolute suprise has worked like a champ.

I'm waiting for it to spontaneously combust though... it's coming..I can feel it....I have a Sampson 4 channel unit just waiting in the wings.

E
                    - your source for electronic cigs. Use coupon code "" for 10% off every order!!!

Comment

Definitely have that Sampson ready. One "pro" for Behringer is always the cost. Sure, at $109, these headphone mixers are cheap as these things go, particularly considering the features it offers over the others in its price range. The idea is you can afford to buy a couple and look at them as practically disposable.

The problem is not knowing when they'll break. Most likely, at the worst time, thus, it's not so easy to simply swap em out. And woe betide you if your spare Behringer has problems.

I should also mention that Carvin makes one that's $139, so, ten bucks more than the Art and 30 more than the Behringer. It's a 4 channel box. Unlike the Art, it has more of the functionality and features of the Behringer (https://www.carvinguitars.com/produc...?product=H400).

I think, now, we only need one and will looking closely at the Art and Carvin. Of course this is after we get a new amp, possibly a sub, possibly a Sonic Maximizer and oh yeah, hit the lottery.

Comment

Has anyone ever taken their broken Beringer equipment apart and try to fix it them selfs? It would be interesting to know if alot of the units have the same inherent flaws (ie. poor PCB construction, cold solder...). Any techs out there who have dared wield a soldering iron near some Beringer equipment (SuperPuss...anyone...?)

Dave
                        Remo practice pad mesh conversion, Pearl Export A2E mesh, Pintech and TKO A2E cymbals, Roland TD-8, 1.5 eDrum trigger to midi converters (edrum.info), Alesis DM5's, Tama Iron Cobra double bass pedal. 6 200watt EV SH1502 speakers, 200watt Crate Bass amp, ASUS P5Q Mobo, 8Gb ram, q6600 Core2 Quad, 3 TB's of hard drives, ATI 3870 video, dual 22" monitor's. This stuff is FUN!

one of my kits http://vdrums.com/forum/showthread.p...hlight=zdavesf

Comment

We haven't but I can tell you what the repair guy told and showed the Sound Babe when we took the mixer in for repair.

Yes, it's partially as you describe it. The components are also of the cheapest kind with the least amount of "rating" needed for the particular piece of hardware being built.

Comment

I guess you get what you pay for...

Dave
                            Remo practice pad mesh conversion, Pearl Export A2E mesh, Pintech and TKO A2E cymbals, Roland TD-8, 1.5 eDrum trigger to midi converters (edrum.info), Alesis DM5's, Tama Iron Cobra double bass pedal. 6 200watt EV SH1502 speakers, 200watt Crate Bass amp, ASUS P5Q Mobo, 8Gb ram, q6600 Core2 Quad, 3 TB's of hard drives, ATI 3870 video, dual 22" monitor's. This stuff is FUN!

one of my kits http://vdrums.com/forum/showthread.p...hlight=zdavesf

Comment

Have you looked at the Mackie HMX-56 6 channel Headphone mixer? I got one of these and have been very happy with it. It's got some nice versitility built into it and usually sells for $149. I got an even better price from RMC Audio who are great to work with.

http://www.mackie.com/products/hmx56/

They seem to be hard to keep in stock (or get from Mackie) so I had to wait a while for it to arrive. Don't believe the sites that say they are discontinued.
                              Doc

Upgraded V-Pro, TD10 with TDW-1, V-cymbals, DW pedals, JBL EON15 G2, BBE482, Octapad II Pad-80, Misc external signal processors, 7 pc TAMA Crestar, Zildjian cymbals; 5 String Bass, 12 string and assorted 6 string guitars

Comment

Working...
                              X