Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2 modules: best way to connect and use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 modules: best way to connect and use

Hi all,
    I just bought a fantastic TD-20 module, and my first idea was to replace my good and ole TD-8, but just changed my mind due to the fact I'm left with no need for cheap money at the moment and 3 additional PD-80 + 1 CY-12H+foot controller. So, I am thinking about adding a 2nd drum module to the current setup.
    I mainly play my drums at home, and I am currently playing through my headphones and recording via master out stereo cables to my PowerMac (I have the additional cable through the MIX IN from my Mac to my TD-20 to play over the music).
    I have a MIDI interface (MIDISport 1x1 USB) , but never used it due to lack of time to practice / setup / use it. With the additional module I believe I can connect (daisy-chaining the 2 modules) the TD-8 to the MIX IN of the TD-20 and then attaching the headphones to the TD-20. But I believe I can do better with the 2 modules, for instance with a mixer (suggestions?) or with MIDI or .... add your own idea.
    Is there anyone who faced the same situation and can help me to go through the best solution?
    Thanks a lot
    Roland TD-20/MDS-20BK/1 PD-80R/4 PD-105BK/4 CY12R/C/1 PD-7/1 KD-120/1 VH-12/1 PD-125BK/1 CY-15R/1 Tama HP9000RG Iron Cobra Double Pedal/1 Tama HH905 Iron Cobra Hi-Hat stand/1 Tama HS700WN snare Stand
    meet me at http://web.mac.com/lucaepaola

I use the Mix-In method. Works great and gives you far more pads than any man has a right to play! No need to get MIDI involved here. You could use an outboard mixer, but only if you have one that is better than the one on the TD-20. Or have more than the two modules.
    sigpic

Comment

Thanks Michael
      I just had a look to your Mondor, and... WOW What a fantastic MONSTER kit.
      Let me add a question to you: I saw the rack overlying the MDS-20BK, what is that? an ol' MDS-10 kit reverted to fit on the 20 rack? I was wondering what is the best way to add clamps to the MDS-20 rack in order to fit additional pads in... and yours was the only solution I saw....
      Cheers
      Roland TD-20/MDS-20BK/1 PD-80R/4 PD-105BK/4 CY12R/C/1 PD-7/1 KD-120/1 VH-12/1 PD-125BK/1 CY-15R/1 Tama HP9000RG Iron Cobra Double Pedal/1 Tama HH905 Iron Cobra Hi-Hat stand/1 Tama HS700WN snare Stand

Comment

I use the midi in method to connect my TD7 to my TD6v - and it works fine... although one problem that im having (and im not even sure if im doing it right...) is that basically you're limited to the amount of inputs you can apply per kit - for example...

I have single zone toms (5) and cymbals (6 + a 2nd input for the bell on my Ride) and I've had to assign the TD7 inputs to the TD6 as the rim sounds to trigger the TD6 samples. This means that once you've used up all the rim midi notes you cant add any more! so i've got a lot of unused inputs left on my TD7 which I cant make the most of...

of course I could use the mix-in method and use the sounds from the TD7 but i've found them to be inferior - plus... when I connect to the PC via midi to use BFD etc, it wont trigger that obviously - if anyone can make sense of what I've just said and offer any advice i'd really appreciate it

... and to get back on topic - if you're not using VST drums on a pc, then I would use the Mix-In method if I were you, as the TD8 sounds arent too far behind the Td20 in terms of quality are they?
        7 Piece A to E Kit conversion - TD6&TD7 Linked,
        7 Piece Taye Studiomaple + Zildjian & Wuhan :)

http://www.myspace.com/0011101000101001code

Comment

I've used both the mix-in and MIDI methods. Mix-In is a LOT easier. That being said, MIDI is somewhat limited by the modules I was using. I had my DM5 connected to my TD-6V via MIDI, but since the TD-6V doesn't have the ability to let you make user percussion sets, it was less than satisfactory.
          Last edited by Fullback32; 05-05-08, 11:17 AM.
          Hawk snare, toms, and bass; Hart ECII crashes & ride; VH-10 Hihat; Iron Cobra double-bass.
          "I never play the same thing twice...sometimes because I simply can't remember it." - John Paul Jones

Comment

I'm another "I've done both": TD7 into exp TD10.

The MIDI setup has a steeeeeeeeep learning curve. It has the advantage that you can assign the more advanced samples on the newer module to inputs on the older one. Keep in mind you can't always edit said samples the way you can on the newer module--there are limitations.

If you like samples on the TD8 and want to continue to use them, then yeah, going the mix-in route is much easier.

www.myspace.com/rubberuniverse
            TD-12, DTX502, SD1000, EZDrummer, Diamond Drum 12" snare, S1000 toms/cymbals/kick, PCY10/100/135/155, CY-5/14, Hart Ride, Hart Acupad 8" kick, Epedal Pro II, Concept 1 pads/cymbals, SD1000 & Roland V Sessions racks, PD-7, Kit Toy 10" splash, DMPad ride, SamplePad, PerformancePad Pro

Comment

The web site had Mondor Mark I. Mark II uses a TD-12 stand popped on top of a TD-20 stand. That worked the best!
              http://www.michaelrender.com/Pictures/Mondor2006.jpg
              sigpic

Comment

Hi Guys,

Another good thread....and much wisdom from the forum

To ddregs - your main limitation is that you only appear to have one pair of stereo inputs to your PC (well, mac...) so the mix in option should allow you to better control your mix from the TD-20;
                - you should be able to send the TD-8 inputs to a sub group in the TD-20 to isolate them from the TD-20 pads...... though I wonder why you don't just plug all the pads directly into the TD-20 and control them from that module. You may need a line splitter which is only a few $s to allow PC and TD-8 aidio inputs to the TD-20 simultaneously.
                You could then MIDI connect the 2 modules and map specific pads to use either or both soundsets.
                My preferred option would be to add a small mixer for even better control - I have a Yamaha 16/4 analog mixer but by using the send/return/2TR I/Os and some smart cabling it is really a 20/16 mixer which is pretty good for a few hundred $s.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Render View Post
                  The web site had Mondor Mark I. Mark II uses a TD-12 stand popped on top of a TD-20 stand. That worked the best!
                  Hey Michael,

That kit is awesome ! I want one in white!

Do you have any pics of MMII from the sides and the back and a list of all the components?

Comment

Holy smokes Michael . I can see that the lady sitting beside the kit is just awe struck by the kit
                    Gretsch Catalina Birch Dark Walnut A2E Conversion kit, DIY Sabian B8 cymbals, TD20 Sound Module

Comment

Originally posted by Hercules View Post
                      To ddregs - your main limitation is that you only appear to have one pair of stereo inputs to your PC (well, mac...) so the mix in option should allow you to better control your mix from the TD-20;
                      - you should be able to send the TD-8 inputs to a sub group in the TD-20 to isolate them from the TD-20 pads...... though I wonder why you don't just plug all the pads directly into the TD-20 and control them from that module.

First of all, Thanx Hercules.
                      My TD-20 Inputs are all filled. The current setup (or best, when I'll get all the goods delivered from the local store) has all the AUX 1-2-3-4 filled so I couldn't add any other pad. I'm left with the additional pads that I can attach to the TD-8. That's my initial point.

You may need a line splitter which is only a few $s to allow PC and TD-8 aidio inputs to the TD-20 simultaneously.
                      You could then MIDI connect the 2 modules and map specific pads to use either or both soundsets.
                      My preferred option would be to add a small mixer for even better control - I have a Yamaha 16/4 analog mixer but by using the send/return/2TR I/Os and some smart cabling it is really a 20/16 mixer which is pretty good for a few hundred $s.
                      Another good suggestion. As for what I got, let me recap the situation: the MIX in path is the easiest of all solutions. I'll try it first, by connecting my AUDIO OUT from the Mac to the TD-8, then the MASTER-OUT of the TD-8 to the MIX IN of the TD-20, then again the MASTER OUT of the TD-20 to the AUDIO IN of my Mac. The Headphones should go to the TD-20.
                      I have some doubts regarding the MIDI solution, just because I never used MIDI. Should I go from the MIDI OUT of the TD-8 to the MIDI IN of the TD-20 to use the TD-20 sounds on the TD-8 attached pads or the other way(that makes more sense to me)? And, w/rgds to the Mac, is it better to use MIDI input or audio input since I have the MIDI interface (never used)?
                      And, in the last scenario, going through the mixer solution: is it better to get an external mixer and an additional high quality audio interface for the Mac or use the standard audio input (S/PDIF is an option since it's onboard on the Mac)?
                      Sorry for my big and stupid doubts and for wasting your precious time, but your comments are kept in high regards on this side.

Thanks

Comment

Awesome Michael. Now that's the ultimate solution. My 1st thought was about reaching the rooftop with the second rack....

Comment

Mix in for me too ....... easy / quick / 1 x cable / no midi to learn !!!!!!
                          TD10ex, SPD-S, kd's, pd's, cy's, Koby, KitToys ( 9" splash & 10" mini china - yep you read that correctly... a very rare 10" mini china lol ), Iron Cobra, Mackie, Beyer. arizonaband.net

Comment

Should I go from the MIDI OUT of the TD-8 to the MIDI IN of the TD-20 to use the TD-20 sounds on the TD-8 attached pads
                            Yes, that's the way it works. Actually, at some point, I've posted how to do with with my TD7/exp TD10 arrangement. That will be somewhat close to how you'd do it with the 8/20. Search around in here under my handle or TD7 and MIDI and it'll get you into the ballpark. If I didn't post it here, I posted it over at edrumming.

Once you figure it out (and again, my instructions will take a lot of the steepness out of the learning curve), I think it's the better way to go although I think the TD8's got some fine samples that hold up really well.

www.myspace.com/rubberuniverse
                            TD-12, DTX502, SD1000, EZDrummer, Diamond Drum 12" snare, S1000 toms/cymbals/kick, PCY10/100/135/155, CY-5/14, Hart Ride, Hart Acupad 8" kick, Epedal Pro II, Concept 1 pads/cymbals, SD1000 & Roland V Sessions racks, PD-7, Kit Toy 10" splash, DMPad ride, SamplePad, PerformancePad Pro

Comment

Do you have any pics of MMII from the sides and the back and a list of all the components?
                              I swap parts in and out of the Mondor so many times it can be hard to keep track. I don't have any other pics, but I will try and list the parts.

Originally posted by norwei View Post
                              Holy smokes Michael . I can see that the lady sitting beside the kit is just awe struck by the kit
                              She was just bored. She basically was looking over and saying, "God no, not another drummer."

Originally posted by ddregs View Post
                              Awesome Michael. Now that's the ultimate solution. My 1st thought was about reaching the rooftop with the second rack....
                              I know what you mean. I am sometimes tempted to get one of those monster racks like on Bozzio's kit. But then I think that it would cost more than my entire kit and I don't have any roadies to set it up!
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X