Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TD9 much better than TD8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TD9 much better than TD8

Hi there, since I wanna buy a module to trigger my A set, I have a few questions!

What I'd like to know is what pmakes the TD9 much better than the TD8? (Only the modules) It seems you can't edit the sounds as much as you can on the TD8.(No COSM on TD9 is there?)

Is the TD9 worth spending another few hundred dollars on? What are the major differences between these two modules?

I'm kinda noob so I'll be looking for your precious help!

(Sorry for the redundant questions but I really wanna know...)

Hi and welcome to the forum!

The TD-9 does have COSM, however, its not officially called COSM and is less advanced than that of the TD-12/20. I'm not sure how it compares to the COSM on the TD-8.

I'm assuming you just want to trigger the drums and not the cymbals as well?

The TD-9 has a combination of the current and next gen sound sets, where as the TD-8 uses the previous gen which has just been phased out with the replacement of the TD-6 (by the TD-9).

The TD-9 also has USB storage support and the DB-25 cable connector neither of which the TD-8 has. However, how much use those would be to you.......

The best thing you can do is to try them out. Obviously, with the TD-8, this might not be that easy, but you might find a friendly TD-8 owner near you, or within reasonable striking distance. I believe it was the best selling module Roland have made so far, though I could be wrong!

Comment

pm sent

Hi Head I sent you a private message. Jeff
      TD-8
      PD-105bk
      4-PD-8's
      KD-8
      FD-8
      3-CY-8's

Comment

Hey.......so what's the conclusion of this thread?
        Which of the modules is better?

Comment

I had a TD-9 to review and while I liked the sounds and the dual trigger toms, I am not convinced it's a huge step up from my TD-8, with its COSM capabilities. There's obviously a big price difference between the two favouring the TD-8, but on the downside, it's a discontinued model, so there's no warranty and eventually support will be an issue.
          . digitalDrummer
          Review index

Comment

- The sales blurb mentions 3 way ride triggering and "full" VH-11 compatibility for the TD-9 - so I assume that is more limited on the TD-8....
            - Interface ergonomics look nicer.....
            - I don't like the idea of a DB25 for input - you need the special Roland cable to connect your pads...... the cable length could limit where you place your pads (especially if you're left handed) and you need line splitters and/or cable extensions to change this (and 90% of all IT problems are cable based)
            - Luckily there are 2 TRS inputs for extra pads

The TD-12 (or 20) looks a lot better option if you have the $s

Comment

Originally posted by ige87 View Post
              Hi and welcome to the forum!

The TD-9 does have COSM, however, its not officially called COSM and is less advanced than that of the TD-12/20. I'm not sure how it compares to the COSM on the TD-8.
              in TD9 for editing it's like td6 almost, nothing near td8/ td12/td20 there is no real cosm, decay=muffling, head tuning= pitch, cymbal size=pitch, only in the effect process, there is mic position added.

KICK: Head Tuning=pitch, Muffling=decay
              SNARE: Head Tuning =pitch, Muffling=decay
              TOM: Head Tuning =pitch, Muffling =decay
              HI-HAT: Cymbal Size =pitch, Fixed Hi-Hat
              CYMBAL: Cymbal Size, Sustain =pitch and =decay
              OTHERS: Pitch, Decay

Td8, td12, td20 does have official cosm to manipulate the sound alot.
              Last edited by Chris K; 05-13-08, 12:16 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X