Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How does the TD8 brain compare to the TD3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How does the TD8 brain compare to the TD3?

I currently have a TD3 and am fairly happy, but I would like a better brain.

I am thinking about my options for upgrading and have a plan where I might be able to get a TD8 fairly cheap.. I know that the TD8 is higher spec, but is it better.

I seem to remember that the TD8 was a different generation to the TD3, so perhaps that for someone like me, I should stick with the TD3.

Is the TD8 necessarily better? More functionality for sure.. But what about sound and realism?

Jon

Well, for starters... the TD-8 has COSM. So, there's a LOT more "tweakability" with that module than the TD-3.

And, VEX make expansion packs for the TD-8, not the TD-3. That's a HUGE selling point right there!

I say go for it!
    VDrums: a cluster of bits including TDW-20 and TD-3 modules, KD-85, PD-85(2), PD-8(5), CY-12(3), CY-8(2), CY-5(3), Kit Toys china, all on an MDS-6SL+ rack, SPD-S, VEX, VDL
    ZDrums: a Zendrum ZCSZX
    ADrums: an eight piece Tama Rockstar kit with lots o' Zildjians
    Gender-Conflicted Drums: a stock PDP Chameleon with a few Zildjians (a conversion just waiting to happen... then it can go both ways!)

Comment

I haven't owned the TD-3, but TNT is offering good advice. I'm about to bid my TD-8 adieu (moving up) and really enjoyed the 2 that I owned since about 2000. VEX is like magic voodoo dust on these TD8s. Get some.
      Yamaha Birch Custom Absolute | Zildjian Ks

Comment

I think the TD-8 is an excellent step up from the TD-3. The interface is much more user friendly, COSM modeling allows you to tweak kits to suit your personal taste, more ins and outs, more sounds, the list goes on. Used TD-8s tend to sell for around $500. If you want more than the TD-3 and TD-6 can offer, but you don't have the funds to step up for a TD-12 or TD-20, I don't think you can miss with a TD-8 found at the right price.
        >>>See my E-kit here<<<

>>>See my A-kit here<<<

Comment

Another thumbs up for theTD-8 here!
          . digitalDrummer
          Review index

Comment

I just traded up to a td8 from a td3 a few month ago and the difference is incredible. The sounds are much better and having the ability to model them to your taste is a big plus, I have not even scratches the surface with its full potential. No regrets here...
            My Kit
            http://www.vdrums.com/forum/attachme...2&d=1257067362

Comment

WHat is quite amazing about this, is the fact that the TD8 is almost 10 years old... Is the TD8 really better in ALL areas over the TD3?

I would have thought that with the advances in technologies, the TD8 would now be out of date in this area!

Jon

Comment

Thanks to the V Expression guys and the fact that the TD-8 has COSM, this will extend the life even further. I've now owned 2 TD-8s over the last 8 years. They work, they get the job done, you can grow into it versus out of it and they can be tweaked from here to Sunday.
                Yamaha Birch Custom Absolute | Zildjian Ks

Comment

The only problem I have found with the td8 is crash cymbals choking with certain snare sounds , for example if you play a crash followed by a double stroke roll the cymbal will choke for no apparent reason and it is very annoying. This only happens with certain snare sound though, I believe quite a few other td8 owners have had this same problem and there is nothing you can do about it other than change sounds, its a polyphony problem...
                  My Kit

Comment

I have been looking at Rolands site today and notice that there was a 1.10 firmware update for the TD8.

Does anyone know what this changed? And what it fixed or added?

Jon

Comment

It dose give you settings to add later model pads, but I think the settings can be reproduced without the update. I'm sure someone else can elaborate more on that. Be careful though I updated mine and crashed it but got it up and running again without too much trouble. Use the SMF tool available on the Roland web site to do the update...
                      My Kit

Comment

The full list of changes in version 1.10 for the TD-8 is in the "TD-8 Addendum" (attached). An ability to save the click settings is one of the more noticeable improvements, but all are fairly minor.

Bruce
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by BarT View Post
                          The full list of changes in version 1.10 for the TD-8 is in the "TD-8 Addendum" (attached). An ability to save the click settings is one of the more noticeable improvements, but all are fairly minor.
                          Bruce
                          Thanks Bruce.. I downloaded something simiar from the UK website called "Patch List", and it was simply pages 179-191 from the manual.

I am assuming that "Patch List" has nothing to do with the 1.10 upgrade...

Out of interest, is it easy to tell what revision my TD8 is? I don't have mine yet, but am assuming that somewhere in the menu there is a way to see the 'version'?

Jon

Comment

It's basically a three-fingered salute at power up, followed by a couple of single fingers:

Use the following steps to view the current ROM version in the TD-8:

1. Power on while holding the F1, F2, and F3 buttons until "Welcome TO TD-8" shows in the display.

2. Release the "F" buttons, and then press CLICK, followed by RIM.

(Source: http://backstage.rolandus.com/knowle...p?HD_ID=104321)

Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by BarT View Post
                              It's basically a three-fingered salute at power up, followed by a couple of single fingers:

Use the following steps to view the current ROM version in the TD-8:

1. Power on while holding the F1, F2, and F3 buttons until "Welcome TO TD-8" shows in the display.

2. Release the "F" buttons, and then press CLICK, followed by RIM.

Bruce
                              Perfect.. Thanks for that.. I will try it as soon as it arrives.. Then I can rule out the possiblity that I need to worry about upgrading it if its already at 1.10.

As always, a HUGE thanks for your help

jon

Comment

Working...
                              X