Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TD-12 vs DTXtreme III

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TD-12 vs DTXtreme III

Hi everyone,

I'm in the market for a high-end e-drum kit. I've narrowed it down to either a TD-12 or DTXtreme III. At my local music store the prices were $3600 for the TD-12 and $4200 for the DTXtreme III (which also had a kick and hi-hat included). What are your thoughts on which is the better choice?

I read somewhere that the TD-12 doesn't have sampling abilities. Is this true? It seems like a glaring omission on Roland's part if it is.

Does anyone know if the DTXtreme 3 has positional sensing?

Some thoughts from me:

DTXtreme:

Pros,

Samples sounded good, in particular the ride samples sounded somewhat better than the Roland ones

1 Extra tom and crash pad

Rubber pads actually felt pretty natural, and they are bigger than the TD-12's.

full sampling capabilities

Practice songs a lot less cheesy than the roland ones

3-way sensing on all pads

Cons,

Rubber pads were a bit louder

It seems yamaha hasn't really dealt with the machine gun effect

The sounds are samples so they aren't readily cutomizable

TD-12

Pros,

Pads are a little nicer overall

drums sounds are customizable

More nuances of real drums are captured (positional sensing (but snare only), no machine gun effect, option for snare buzz on toms)

Slightly cheaper

Cons,

No sampling (?)

The default drums don't sound that great. Especially the ride. I've heard you can get much better sounds once you've customized them... any thoughts?

Cheesy practice songs

3-way sensing on ride only

Thanks a lot.

You pretty much nailed it, you can get rid of the machine gun effect by turning down the trig sens. I use 2 dtxtreme3's with my mesh pad kit and the new cymbals from Yamaha and they trigger and play wonderfully. Good Luck on your decision, Tom
    www.EDrumForum.com Going to be strictly a DIY e Drum Community

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=198

Comment

Be sure and check RMCAudio.com for your td-12 price!
      Ralph
      As the Wise Ole' drummer says... !:cool:

Comment

I just got a TD12 a little while ago. I love it! There's enough adjustments to pretty much tweak any kit sound you can think of. Go to the VEX site and listen to the Vintage Drums Kits for the TD12, they sound pretty authentic much more than the Yamaha modules including the DTXtremeIII that I heard.
        My Electronics Gear:
        Roland Rack
        Modules-TD5, TD12:)
        Drums- 1 PD-120, 3 PD-100's,Pacific Chameleon Kit with mesh heads and homemade crossbar internal triggers
        Pads-1 PD9,4 PD8's,KD7 Kick,KD8 Kick
        Cymbals- 2 CY-14's, 1 CY-15, 1 CY-5, 2 CY6's, Pintech 10"&16"
        VST - EZ Drummer, Superior Drummer

Comment

Working...
        X