Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gibraltar Rack Starter pack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gibraltar Rack Starter pack

I have a TD-3SW set along with a SPD-S. I am thinking about transitioning over to a Gibratar rack so that I can mount the SPD-S as well as have room to upgrade some of the rubber pads to mesh pads.

I see that the Gibratar rack comes with 2 boom arms. Can these actually be used with the CY-8 cymbals?

Thanks

Adam

Yes. But you will need the "stopper" to mount a Roland CY-X.

Comment

Hey Adam,

I looked at this rack myself but a very experienced drummer friend of mine admonished me to stay away from the Gibraltar stuff because the chrome dents and pits easily. He was sponsored by Gibraltar so his advice was based on a lot of experience with that equipment.

I am in the process of replacing my Roland TD20's rack with a chrome DW setup. The DW stuff is a bit on the heavy side but it's very good quality. I guess it comes down to if you gig and have to frequently tear down and set up. If not, I guess the Gibraltar stuff would suffice.

Comment

Thats for the replys. I will just use the existing stoppers from the arms which came with the TD3 set.

I've actually been using Gibraltar racks since they first came on the scene around 90 or so. I remember at the time I couldn't afford a Tama rack so I went with Gibratar. I really didn't like them then, the clamps tended to slip and I broke quite a few clamps. I was also mounting 12,13,14, and 15" toms .

I'm not too worried about the denting right now I won't be gigging with this set. Thank you for the heads up though.

Adam

Comment

I'm still a new and in-experienced drummer, but so far I've really liked gibraltar clamps; they seem very heavy and durable, but then again I haven't really had much experience yet...

-- Setup -- DIY -- Rock Band Converter --

Comment

Originally posted by almazza View Post
            I really didn't like them then, the clamps tended to slip and I broke quite a few clamps. I was also mounting 12,13,14, and 15" toms .
            What on earth were you doing to them?

Comment

Those were huge toms from a Tama Swinstar set. At one point I even tried mounting my 16 and 18 inch floor toms. That didn't work too well.

It's funny I stopped playing drums and keeping up on what's new in around 94. At that time Gibraltar hardware was definitely considered subpar. You either went with Tama, Pearl or Yamaha (if you could afford it). Nice to see that Gibraltar is now considered good.

I have tubes and clamps in my attic and basement, I think I'm going to try and piece together a Frankenrack before I buy anything new.

Adam

Comment

Originally posted by almazza View Post
                I have a TD-3SW set along with a SPD-S. I am thinking about transitioning over to a Gibratar rack so that I can mount the SPD-S as well as have room to upgrade some of the rubber pads to mesh pads.

I see that the Gibratar rack comes with 2 boom arms. Can these actually be used with the CY-8 cymbals?

Thanks

Adam
                You can't upgrade to mesh using the existing rack? I understand the need for more space but down the road I'm thinking of going to mesh toms and I wonder if any other TD3SW owners have successfully made the move with the TD3SW rack.
                TD9 Frankenkit

Comment

Sorry, didn't mean to imply that you can't use mesh heads with the existing rack, that wouldn't make any sense. What I really meant was I will probably go to 10" pads when I upgrade, and I think that would really be pushing it.

Adam

Comment

Nah, they should fit. Might require a litte jiggery-pokery. I'm sure there'll be someone here who has done it.

To be honest, I think Gibraltar is now the bench mark. Everything gibby I've used has been fantastic.

Comment

Working...
                    X