Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How is the TD-8?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How is the TD-8?

Hey guys, how is the TD-8 in comparison to the newer kits out there? I'm thinking of getting one as a first set. Not sure if it's fair to compare it to the TD-12, since in the same ballpark for a used TD-8 I'd be looking at a new TD9-SX.

The 8 doesn't have dual-triggers on the toms. It also has a plain pad hi-hat, rather than one that looks more cymbal-like. Do these make a difference?

How is the module's sound quality? Have there been a lot of improvements to the TD-12's?

My main goal is to get something to practice on, without spending too much money.

Thanks,
    -d
    TD-12S

With COSM modeling and a user-friendly interface, I think the TD-8 module is a good step up from a TD-3 or TD-6 module. But, no, it's not a TD-12 or TD-20 either. As we all know, when it comes to e-drums, for the most part, you get what you pay for.

You're right, there's no dual triggering on the toms with a TD-8, but that may or may not be important to you depending on your style of play. For me, I'm fine without it. For others, it's a deal breaker. Again, that's something only you can decide for yourself as to what fits your style of music and play.

As for the "plain pad" hi-hat, you can replace that pad with a fairly inexpensive CY-5 and get a substantially improved hi-hat experience without breaking the bank.

Personally, if you're just looking for something to use as a practice tool and the price is the same, I'd go for the new toy on the block and get the TD-9 kit. It's new while the TD-8 has been discontinued, plus you'll have a warranty. However, if you can get the TD-8 at a better price, it's still a great kit that's well worth having.

Hope this helps.
    >>>See my E-kit here<<<

>>>See my A-kit here<<<

Comment

There's obviously a big price difference to consider as well. A second-hand TD-8 module will set you back $500 - a TD-9 module is more than double that - and you'll need the proprietory cable.
      I have just given my review TD-9 back and returned to my TD-8 and while I miss the dual triggers and some of the crisp stock sounds and the instant record and playback, I wasn't really tempted to try and keep the 9.
      The more I look around, the more impressed I am with the TD8 - especially at the price.
      I'm actually wondering whether the new module should have been dubbed a TD-7.1 because it lacks some of advanced features of the 8 (this should stir up the debate!!!).
      . digitalDrummer
      Review index

Comment

The cable is included when you buy the module.

Comment

Originally posted by allanjohn View Post
          There's obviously a big price difference to consider as well. A second-hand TD-8 module will set you back $500
          Wow is it really that cheap? I was expecting to pay least $1000... is that really overpaying?

edit: just realized you said the module was $500. the kit itself would obviously be over $500!
          Last edited by darkside; 04-21-08, 07:58 PM.
          TD-12S

Comment

My first kit was a V-Stage, with the TD-8 module and the addition of a CY-12H hi-hat. I loved it and played it a lot.
            I just bought a new TD-20 module and am currently upgrading / adding pads, so I can tell you there is a lot of difference between the 2 modules mentioned. TD-20 is another category. A different story, much better, sound-wise, positional sensing, shallow rim-shots, cymbal swells, more inputs, better modeling....
            TD-8 is a quite nice entry-module. Much better than TD-6 or TD-3; if you have the budget, go for a TD-12. If not, then go for a TD-8 instead of a TD-6 or TD-3.
            Roland TD-20/MDS-20BK/1 PD-80R/4 PD-105BK/4 CY12R/C/1 PD-7/1 KD-120/1 VH-12/1 PD-125BK/1 CY-15R/1 Tama HP9000RG Iron Cobra Double Pedal/1 Tama HH905 Iron Cobra Hi-Hat stand/1 Tama HS700WN snare Stand
            meet me at http://web.mac.com/lucaepaola

Comment

Originally posted by darkside View Post
              since in the same ballpark for a used TD-8 I'd be looking at a new TD9-SX.
              Are you saying you're considering paying more than $2,000 for a used TD-8 kit?

MSRP on a new TD-9SX (mesh kit) is $2,500 and you can pick it up from various outlets in the $2,000 range (if not cheaper). Personally, I wouldn't spend that much on a used TD-8 kit. When I was shopping for my first e-kit two years ago, Guitar Center was selling a used TD-8 mesh kit for $1,800, and they are always overpriced on their used gear in my opinion.

Now, if what you're actually looking at is the difference between a new TD-9S with rubber pads ($1,500-$1,800 new) versus a used TD-8 with mesh pads in roughly the same price range, that may be more debatable.
              >>>See my E-kit here<<<

>>>See my A-kit here<<<

Comment

The TD-8 will do rim triggering for PD-8 piezo/switch on all inputs except the last one.
                Drumkat Turbo 4.5, Emulator X3, Superior 2.1, Roland Fantom XR, DTXtreme III, SPD-20 etc.......

Comment

Originally posted by V(ader)DRUMMER View Post
                  Are you saying you're considering paying more than $2,000 for a used TD-8 kit?

MSRP on a new TD-9SX (mesh kit) is $2,500 and you can pick it up from various outlets in the $2,000 range (if not cheaper). Personally, I wouldn't spend that much on a used TD-8 kit. When I was shopping for my first e-kit two years ago, Guitar Center was selling a used TD-8 mesh kit for $1,800, and they are always overpriced on their used gear in my opinion.

Now, if what you're actually looking at is the difference between a new TD-9S with rubber pads ($1,500-$1,800 new) versus a used TD-8 with mesh pads in roughly the same price range, that may be more debatable.
                  I'd really like to get mesh heads all around so I don't even want to consider the TD-9S. I'd go straight fot the TD-9SX and hope to get it around $2000, assuming I can find it in stock.

This raises a question -- how is the rubber pad bass drum compared to a mesh bass drum? Is the noise considerably louder?

The used TD-8 set I was looking at was around $1500 including a new CY-5. This seems a little high to me, but then again I'm un-calibrated with the pricing. Maybe this is a reasonable price for a used TD-8?

I figure I'd keep whatever kit I get for 2 years before upgrading (assuming, knock on wood, that I'm still playing in 2 years!)
                  TD-12S

Comment

darkside -

Just as a warning: I also bought a used TD-8 kit primarily for practice, having had a baby not to long before and only getting to play drums about twice a month. It took less than a month before I needed to add more pads because I was playing every night and sometimes several times per day. I LOVE my TD-8. The only thing I love more (aside from the obvious humans in my life) is the TD-10 I got later because . . . well, I had to. Also, I haven't even set up, let alone played my A-kit since I got the E-kit.

As for comparison: I don't know much about the TD-9, but I was/am very impressed with the sounds and capabilities of the TD-8. I would go for mesh heads. Also switch the PD-7 on the hats to a cy-5, 8, or 12h. Your wrists will thank you.

My two cents. . .

Comment

Originally posted by darkside View Post
                      I'd really like to get mesh heads all around so I don't even want to consider the TD-9S. I'd go straight fot the TD-9SX and hope to get it around $2000, assuming I can find it in stock.

This raises a question -- how is the rubber pad bass drum compared to a mesh bass drum? Is the noise considerably louder?

The used TD-8 set I was looking at was around $1500 including a new CY-5. This seems a little high to me, but then again I'm un-calibrated with the pricing. Maybe this is a reasonable price for a used TD-8?

I figure I'd keep whatever kit I get for 2 years before upgrading (assuming, knock on wood, that I'm still playing in 2 years!)

OK, a bit different from what you seemed to be describing in your opening post. You're not looking at a used TD-8 and a new TD-9SX for the same price. A $500-$700 difference is significant, at least in my book. Best of luck.
                      >>>See my E-kit here<<<

>>>See my A-kit here<<<

Comment

I couldn't get the used TD-8, so I went overboard and bought a TD-12. Not exactly the same price range, but I figured I might as well treat myself with something nice. Now to find a second crash...

Thanks for the help guys!
                        TD-12S

Comment

Working...
                        X