Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DTEXTREMEIII vs TD-20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DTEXTREMEIII vs TD-20

I am really confused between the DTEXTREMEIII vs TD-20.

I read good stuff about both and cant decide.

I am an acoustic drummer which is the reason i prefer the TD20 but the fact that migrating to an acoustic kit would require me to acquire to it irrespective of which of the two I have makes me think about the DTECXTREMEIII coz of its better sound, better module and better price.

Please help me decide.

Thanks

I bought the DTXtreme III Standard kit last week on blind faith. I've never even played a yamaha! I played a few of the Roland sets at Guitar Center though. TD3, TD6, and TD20. The Roland's are good. I'm sure I'd be happy with either one. My intentions were to buy the new TD-9SX, but at the last moment, I decided I really wanted the Yamaha.

The most attractive thing for me about the Yamaha was the ability of the module to sample, and send multiple outs for recording. I can run my Bass Guitar through it for processing too. I'm not interested in "tuning" mesh heads, so the all rubber playing surfaces of the yamaha are appealing. Plus, the set is visually stunning.

Being an acoustic drummer you may prefer the Roland mesh heads. I'm not a drummer, and I've never even owned an acoustic or electric set, so I have no point of reference and thus no preference. In the end, I just want to learn to play so I can enhance the music I create. So, if I were you I'd stop debating and take a chance on the set that appeared to meet my needs right NOW. Don't let someone else make the decision for you, because if it turns out you don't like it, you'll blame them and not yourself for the mistake.

My set shipped out on Saturday and should arrive to me by this Tuesday. I've been wanting to play drums for at least 25 years, but I've never had the money nor the space for them until now. So, I'm looking forward to it. Good Luck.

Comment

Very well said

Originally posted by 9Etherian View Post
      I bought the DTXtreme III Standard kit last week on blind faith. I've never even played a yamaha! I played a few of the Roland sets at Guitar Center though. TD3, TD6, and TD20. The Roland's are good. I'm sure I'd be happy with either one. My intentions were to buy the new TD-9SX, but at the last moment, I decided I really wanted the Yamaha.

The most attractive thing for me about the Yamaha was the ability of the module to sample, and send multiple outs for recording. I can run my Bass Guitar through it for processing too. I'm not interested in "tuning" mesh heads, so the all rubber playing surfaces of the yamaha are appealing. Plus, the set is visually stunning.

Being an acoustic drummer you may prefer the Roland mesh heads. I'm not a drummer, and I've never even owned an acoustic or electric set, so I have no point of reference and thus no preference. In the end, I just want to learn to play so I can enhance the music I create. So, if I were you I'd stop debating and take a chance on the set that appeared to meet my needs right NOW. Don't let someone else make the decision for you, because if it turns out you don't like it, you'll blame them and not yourself for the mistake.

My set shipped out on Saturday and should arrive to me by this Tuesday. I've been wanting to play drums for at least 25 years, but I've never had the money nor the space for them until now. So, I'm looking forward to it. Good Luck.

Comment

I would echo some of 9Etherian's comments. If sampling ability is a big thing for you, go for the Yammie. If "closest thing to accoustics" is a bigger draw, throw down for the Roland. Also, my experience with Yamaha modules is that while they are very versatile and powerful, the interface is very dense. I was up to speed on my TD20 within the first hour for roughly 75% of its capabilities. Figuring out how to shape sounds on the Yamaha is not going to be so easy.

Yammie plusses - less expensive, has sampling, has separate volume knobs for various pads, excellent rubber pads, more layering capabilities than the Roland.

Roland plusses - mesh heads, super intuitive interface, vexpressionsltd.com kits saves you tons of programming time, this forum, interval sensing to allow realistic cymbal swells and press rolls (tympani rolls, too), positional sensing (maybe Yamaha has this?), and last but not least, this robust forum to help you get the most out of your investment!
        Id rather be told the ugly truth than handed a pretty lie.

Comment

The modules are so different in intent and design I don't how you would even directly compare them.
          Drumkat Turbo 4.5, Emulator X3, Superior 2.1, Roland Fantom XR, DTXtreme III, SPD-20 etc.......

Comment

i like how the yamaha has a volume knob on the pad. also the sounds are good. the hi-hat,on the other hand, doesn't act like a real hi-hat. the roland has a realistic looking hi hat, and realistic feeling drums, although i heard the sounds that come with it aren't the best.still i would have to say the roland is better, just by a little. also the modules are very complicated.

Comment

Working...
            X