Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

This forum is for product advice & discussion only! Do not ask technical questions. Topics posted incorrectly will be deleted.
See more
See less

What exactly is the TMC-6?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What exactly is the TMC-6?

[i]V Club ~ TD6 w/ added CY12H, PD8, 2 extra CY6's, extra KD7, 2 extra PD6s, and a busted PD9 :( [/i]

[b][url=http://www.ctmamusic.com]CT/MA Music - Promote your band![/url][/b]

A TMI, trigger to midi interface. With that you can go via MIDI into your PC or another module and expand that module by 6 inputs.
    Useful if your inputs are full
    TD-20 / lots of DIY / Fame

Comment

Nice to use too if you are going direct to a computer via midi. Then use software programs as your sound generator, insead of a module. Usually run into some latency issues doing this though I hear it's not that bad now and the sounds overall are much better than those built into a module.

If I'm not mistaken you can also use it to "chain" modules and use it's inputs too...correct?

E
      [COLOR="Red"][B][SIZE="4"]www.mypvshop.com [/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]- your source for electronic cigs. Use coupon code "[I][COLOR="Blue"]smokeless1[/COLOR][/I]" for 10% off every order!!!

Comment

Originally posted by XTJ7
        A TMI, trigger to midi interface. With that you can go via MIDI into your PC or another module and expand that module by 6 inputs.

But if you need 2 modules to make it work, wouldn't it be better just to use 2 modules separately and run ALL the channels?
        [i]V Club ~ TD6 w/ added CY12H, PD8, 2 extra CY6's, extra KD7, 2 extra PD6s, and a busted PD9 :( [/i]

Comment

Originally posted by fastplant
          But if you need 2 modules to make it work, wouldn't it be better just to use 2 modules separately and run ALL the channels?
          Not sure I understand the question here.

I used to use my Aphex Impulse solely to expand my inputs and trigger sounds in my TD-8. At the time, the Aphex cost me something like $175 whereas the TD-8 cost me $550. I had run out of TD-8 trigger inputs, so the Aphex was a good way to expand (setting aside some ease-of-use and other caveats about using MIDI).

I now use my Aphex to MIDI to my TD-8 which in turn also MIDIs to my TD-12. The boxes are all serially linked and the "MIDI channels" are all set to trigger the percussion groups in the TD-12 (say Channel 10).

For a short period of time, I had some of the trigger inputs setup to trigger a different channel, which was assigned to a software sampler. The routing of all the gear was kind of a pain in the neck, so I've been simplifying my setup.

When you say, "use 2 modules separately and run ALL the channels", not sure what you mean here. Perhaps you mean running the boxes in parallel instead of chaining them together serially? Other configurations are definitely possible, but you may need some external gear to bus the MIDI around or merge MIDI messages from separate devices.

Steve
          Roland TD-12, 4-piece kit (very downsized) setup
          [url]http://www.vdrums.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6780&d=1180324146[/url]
          Gretsch New Classic, Yamaha & Ludwig snares
          Agop SE, Vintage A Zildjian, K, K Custom Dark, Sabian HHX Legacy
          DW Hardware

Comment

You don't need two modules to use a TMC-6 (or any TMI). It's a cheaper alternative to a second module (by providing extra inputs to the first module).

And if you're only triggering PC software library sounds (not using any Roland TD sounds) then it can be a cheaper alternative to a FIRST module.

Originally posted by XTJ7
            I think the confusion stemmed from your use of the word "another"! I think you meant "a"!

Bruce
            Last edited by BarT; 10-17-06, 08:30 PM.
            [COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"][FONT="Tahoma"][LIST][*]Roland TD-20+TDW-20, TD-8, SPD-S, PD-105, PD-6/8, CY-5/6/8/12, FD-6/8, KD-7/8, RT-10K, PM-30, DB-90[*]Hart Acupad, Hart Hammer, Pintech Dingbat, Sony MDR-7505, Shure E2, 512. Pacific CX, Zildjian A Customs.[/LIST][/FONT][/COLOR]

Comment

The TMC-6 would have to be at the end of the chain since it only has MIDI-OUT. If you want to use multiple TMC-6's then you would also need a MIDI hub.
              [I]He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which. - Douglas Adams[/I]

Comment

So, say I wanted more inputs on my TD6, I could just buy this one unit and have more triggers?

Comment

So, say I wanted more inputs on my TD6, I could just buy this one unit and have more triggers?
                  Yes, but the use of a TMC-6 with a TD-6 is more limited than with a TD-8/10/12/20.

From the TMC-6 manual:
                  "The TD-6 has no User percussion sets, so you can only play the drum
                  instruments set in the TD-6ís Preset percussion sets with the TMC-6ís pads."

So that would include "kit" sounds, but only those listed on Pages 124-125 of the TD-6 manual; and only sounds from one of those sets at a time can be triggered from the TMC-6.

Bruce
                  [COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"][FONT="Tahoma"][LIST][*]Roland TD-20+TDW-20, TD-8, SPD-S, PD-105, PD-6/8, CY-5/6/8/12, FD-6/8, KD-7/8, RT-10K, PM-30, DB-90[*]Hart Acupad, Hart Hammer, Pintech Dingbat, Sony MDR-7505, Shure E2, 512. Pacific CX, Zildjian A Customs.[/LIST][/FONT][/COLOR]

Comment

BarT, is that just for the TD-6 itself or it that also true for the TD-6V? I looked through the TMC-6 manual and saw no reference to the 6V. I also checked n the 6V manual but it wasn't a lot of help.
                    TD-12; TD-6V; FD-8; Hart Pro Toms, Snare, Bass; ECII hihat, crashes, splash & ride; Smartrigger crashes & china; Hart Hammer Pad; Pintech Dingbat; Iron Cobra double-bass.

"I never play the same thing twice...sometimes because I simply can't remember it." - John Paul Jones

Comment

Ok...it looks like it's the same situation. Stll page 124-125 in the 6V manual. But that being said, you could set up a user drum kit with nothing but percussion sounds and do it that way couldn't you? (I still trying to understand all this MIDI stuff).
                      TD-12; TD-6V; FD-8; Hart Pro Toms, Snare, Bass; ECII hihat, crashes, splash & ride; Smartrigger crashes & china; Hart Hammer Pad; Pintech Dingbat; Iron Cobra double-bass.

"I never play the same thing twice...sometimes because I simply can't remember it." - John Paul Jones

Comment

Yes, the same applies to both TD-6 and TD-6V. The TMC-6 was released two years before the TD-6V, so the manual doesn't refer to it specifically. But there's no difference between those two modules in most areas (only Tom2/3 Rims, Kits and Patterns).

You would be setting each TMC-6 input to trigger one of the sounds listed in one of those "percussion" sets.

Bruce

Comment

So it'd be pretty useless for me to do this then?

Comment

So it'd be pretty useless for me to do this then?
                            It all depends what you think of those sets of sounds on Pages 124-125. If you would use those combinations from the six extra triggers then it's fine. If you would feel constrained by the six extra triggers being restricted to sounds from one of those sets, then it's not such a good idea.

Bruce

Comment

Yeah, I think I'll just keep saving up for a TD10 or 12

Comment

Working...
                              X