Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

JBL EON15 G2 or Mackie SRM450

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JBL EON15 G2 or Mackie SRM450

I plan on buying one of these in the next few weeks (might even score one at the NAMM show). Which do you suggest and why?

I know the JBL has a 15" speaker and the 450 has a 12". The Mackie has 450 total watts whete the JBL has 400. The JBL has a 3 band equalizer and 2 1/4" input jacks. Does the Mackie not have an equalizer. The Mackie is usually $100-$200 more. The JBL will tilt back like a monitor.
    I'm a drummer. I don't play the timpani! Hire a percussionist!!!

450's
    -Drumlogic, V-session, Visulite/roland cymbals, (2)Mackie srm-450's, bbe 482 sonic maximizer,

Comment

450s
      My equipment:
      :: (Expanded, TDW-1 with V-Cymbal Control)
      :: 2x CY-15R, 1x CY12H, 2 CY12R/C
      :: 1x Pad-120, 8x Pad-80R, 6x PD-7, 1x PD-9, 1x KD-120
      :: 1x FD-7
      :: 1x Roland MDS-10, 6x Sonor Delite double cymbal stands
      :: 1x DW 5000 Pedal
      :: 1x Mackie 1202 VLZ
      :: 1x NAD C521 CD-Player

To be expanded soon ...

Comment

The Mackie 450 is great!!!! it does not have an eq. it does tilt like a monitor. It is well built. I highly recomend it.

Kurt
        Kurt

Pearl drums converted with hart adc, roland kd7's, pd 120 for snare, various roland rubber pads, hart e cymbals and pads, td8, td6, 2 mackie srm450s and mackie sub. mackie sr 24-4 mixer........and always growing.

Comment

Well........
          I have the JBL eon g2 and I can tell you it's a workhorse.
          Three inputs
          one output (low z)
          EQ and 3 separate volume controls.
          400 watts and the 15 thumps nice.
          depends on your needs, it suits mine just fine.
          I also carry it for my acoustic gigs and mic my bass drum and have it behind me for a personal monitor, plus I can run 2 more channels into it for my e pads so I have the best of both worlds.

Your mileage may vary.
          Professional drummers on a closed course, do not try at home.

[This message has been edited by acidbran (edited June 18, 2002).]
          The original Gig Pig.

Comment

Well, this topic has been discussed a number of times. I suggest you doing a search.

I will quickly ad here that I use the JBL and love the sound. I went for the JBL because you get more for the money. A 15" badboy, EQ, and extra inputs and more controls. If you use outboard gear, the EQ and extra inputs and controls don't really matter. However, IMHO a 12" speaker cannot give you the punch you need on a Kick Drum. And if you read previous Topic's, this is what you will hear others saying.

As always, it's a personal thing but for me it's JBL MAN!!!

[This message has been edited by fredinator (edited June 19, 2002).]
            Start Young, Play Hard, Rock On!!!

Comment

Well I have bought a used system on Ebay that includes 2 two way speakers and a sub. I have not been able to determine exactly what they are. The guy can not tell me much except that they are EON's, they all have 15" speakers, they have built-in amps and he bought them new about a year ago. After the auction closed, he did tell me that on the back of the speakers it says 145 watts and the sub says 275 watts. I can't find any JBL EON's on the internet with those wattages.

Here is the ebay link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...item=883621909
              Should I send the check?

Comment

After much soul-searching, forum searching, and deafening of shop assistants in my area I had to go for the Mackie for my TD8 and Iím now a pig in poo!

[This message has been edited by Bascule (edited June 24, 2002).]

Comment

I spoke with a JBLPro representative that told me they are EON 15P's (and a 15PSUB), based on the picture and description. He said the owner is incorrect on the watts. The speakers are 130w/50w and the sub is 250w. He feels I got a good deal on the three.

Comment

Both are excellent powered speakers. Enough power, enough professional specs, good prize.

The JBL has a more Public Address sound where the Mackie has a more hi-fi sound. If you ask me....
                    Robert

Comment

either way, you are a winner.
                      Let your ears decide.
                      Both Mackie and JBL have pros and cons.
                      I am happy with my decision but wonder what the other wasy would be....... sorry...LOL.
                      I am an acoustic player and my purchases was based opn a blending of e's and a's.
                      Again, your mileage may vary.
                      I am getting loaded.... sue me.
                      The original Gig Pig.

Comment

One last minute consideration. I went with the 450 for two reasons.
                        (1) Like putt, I agree the mackie has a more refined sound.
                        (2) I fretted over this one for weeks, the JBL 15" or the Mackie 12". After much thought I decided the 12" would handle my toms more efficiently than the 15". While down the road, allowing me the option of adding a sub for a really thumpin kick when funds permit. This is much more logical (not to mention do-able) than trying to work it the other way around.

------------------
                        ~Robin
                        ~Robin

Comment

This is a thread that's received lots of comments..... here's mine.

I tried the 450's and the JBL's and finally went with the JBL EON G2's (a pair). Why....?

1) I thought the overall sound was the same, but liked the ability of the JBL's to tweak the EQ at the speaker.

2) The JBL seemed to have more low end "punch".

3) Price! I saved about $200.00 on the pair.

I love em'.... I have them set just outside the rack ant the rear.

The really put out the sound.

Comment

Here is the history-

When the 450's came out the old stlye JBL's were still out. The ones clymore just got used. The older JBL's sounded great until the Mackies came out. At that point there was a night and day difference and the Mackies were about the same price. Needless to say the Mackies started outselling the JBLs 20 to 1.

After about a year JBL came out with the Eon-15G2's and started blowing out the older Eons. We did a flat EQ test side by side and the Eon-15G2 had a really honky midrange and the horn was more directional. The Mackie does have a smoother sound and just as much bass as the JBL even though it has a smaller speaker. The EQ on the JBL is nice but isn't necessary if you have a mixer or outboard EQ. Plus if you push the JBL past 75% with the bass above flat you get some distortion. The Mackie can be cranked up 100% with no problems at unity.

The monitor angle is better on the Mackie too. The JBL seems to be aiming over your head.

So all of you Eon-15G2 owners thank Mackie for coming out with the SRM450, if they hadn't JBL would have never upgraded. Isn't competition great!

Comment

Wow, you really are the Insider! Thanks for the history.
                              Last edited by ufotofu; 06-28-02, 06:33 PM.
                              Roland TD-20 v1.08, various v-drums and v-cymbals, Yamaha KP65's, Axis pedals, Gibraltar hardware, Mackie 1202/SRM450 (pre-china)

Comment

Working...
                              X