Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Boosted COSM technology with TD-8KV ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boosted COSM technology with TD-8KV ???

I was recently E-mailed the following from a local Music store explaining the difference between the TD-8K & The TD-8KV

"The TD-8KV comes with boosted COSM technology"

I can't find any info to back this up. The only difference I'm aware of is the Cymbals.

Perhaps that's what the fabled BIOS update does...?

Schmunk
    TD-8, Pintech pads, Pearl rack, Mackie SRM-450, Behringer 802 mixer and DSP1400 UltraMizer, Electric Sticks.

Comment

Thank you Harlock. Exactly what I needed to know. Where did you get this information?
      Moxley

Comment

Thanks for clearing that up, I'll let the sales guy know the outcome of this topic and see what he says.

Comment

Originally posted by Journey:
          "The TD-8KV comes with boosted COSM technology"

I can't find any info to back this up. The only difference I'm aware of is the Cymbals.
          Guess you're right. After all this, no one's said diddly about 'boosted' Composite Object Sound Modeling.

Comment

Hartlock: Thanks for posting the .pdf file.

A few tips for those who want to install this:

Use the SMF Updater Application from Roland! Unzip the TD-8 update in its own directory. Run SMF updater and select the path with the TD-8 update. All the .mid files will be displayed. When you click "Send", the files will be sent sequentially, without you having to select each one and send it individually. This makes it a one step, unattended operation.

According to the readme.txt file with the update:

During the update, the TD-8 will operate as follows.
            ..5-1 While receiving data, [TRIGGER] will light.
            ..5-2 While writing data, [REC] will light.
            ..5-3 When writing is completed and the unit is waiting to receive data,
            [PLAY] will light
            Repeat steps 5-1 ~ 5-3 for each SMF.

Well, it didn't work that way for me. I used another midi file player and after P00001.mid was finished playing, the trigger light stayed on with no "writing" data appearing to take place. I waited and waited, but still nothing. So, nervous and sweaty, I started again with the SMF App. from Roland. It let the TD-8 receive and write as needed, I just let it go for about 15 - 20 minutes. Then it was done, update complete.

Also, the readme.txt file says at one point(during the button pushing sequence to prepare the TD-8 for the update) to push the [DOWN] button. This is the down arrow button to the right of the display.

Make sure you write down your old trigger parameters before the update. Those will be gone too.

Saved click settings at last, no more number barking Ninja woman. Now if they just could have made the click button flash with the tempo.......you still have to wear headphones or carry a seperate metronome to get a song tempo???

I noticed the slight changes in cymbal settings too, I'm sure it works better with the V-cyms. A cross faded crash with a splash wouldn't really work.....

This makes me believe the V-Custom with the PD-7's will be no more. I'm guessing Roland will only sell it with the 12" V-cyms. I wonder what the price will be?

Comment

Thanks to Harlock and mfrzrdrum for the information on the TD-8 upgrade. I did as mfrzrdrum stated and used the SMF app from Roland, it really was a one step procedure on uploading the files.

Harlock, I'm not totally familiar with my TD-8 yet, so wen you state using the FSR inputs 4 and 10 to get the three postion on the ride cymbal, is this on the TD-8 or something else? Sorry for my ignorance in these matters, I did the upgrade and now will be looking to buy the V-cymbals.

Thanks!

Comment

Hey Harlock thanks for your help you had mentioned the light up kit,song, and pattern indicates an upgraded TD8 but mine is not it says version 1.02,i am going to download the software regardless especially since i just ordered new cymbals.

Comment

I'm just a little confused about one point. Does one need to go out and buy a sequencer that is 'capable of playing SMFs' in order to do this update? If that is the case is it actually worth updating?

Comment

ethorp,

You don't need to buy a sequencer capable of playing SMF's - your computer can do that if you have either MIDIOX or the Roland SMF utility, both easily downloadable, like the update itself. Dead easy, and worth it, if only for the click memory feature!
                    Moxley

Comment

Unfortunately for me. The update didn't work. It's left my TD8 in an inoperable state.

Perhaps my mistake was trying to play the SMF files using Cubase on a Mac.

I later found that SMF updater program for Mac on that all-Japanese page. But to no avail. The update "runs", although the status lights don't respond as the documentation says they should, and then it just sits there with the trigger, play and rim lights all on.

It then fails to "boot" when I turn it on.

I guess it's off to the Roland Service Centre with me, then. Sigh... Wait a minute, there is no Roland Service Centre in my city! I'll probably have to sent my bloody TD8 interstate to get it fixed.... sigh, sigh, sigh....

Comment

Harlock, thanks for all the helpful information you've provided on this topic. My update went flawlessly.

During the update, the TD-8 will operate as follows.
                        ..5-1 While receiving data, [TRIGGER] will light.
                        ..5-2 While writing data, [REC] will light.
                        ..5-3 When writing is completed and the unit is waiting to receive data, [PLAY] will light.
                        More accurately, in step 5-1 above, both [TRIGGER] and [PLAY] will light while receiving data. But it's apparent once you see it.

The demo is literally much flashier after the update.

One glitch after the update is that during demo #3 [ANALOG], I hear no drum sounds, only backing sounds. The lights flash, the faders are up, and I can hear the drums on the other three demos, but not on [ANALOG]. Weird.

Comment

Working...
                        X