Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

CY-6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CY-6

I was reading that people have some real problems with the CY-6 pads.I was wanting to replace the PD-7 triggers with these.Should I not do this?(since these pads seem to work fine) What cymbal pads would you suggest?I would really like to stick with Roland and I am using a TD-7,TD-6 and an SPD-20.
    I was planning on putting 3 Cy-6 pads on the TD-6.

I use four CY-6's with my TD-8 setup (one for HH). I haven't got to play them very much since my church owns a set of Alesis drums. I plan to check out the new Pintech cymbals when they come out in June.
    I'm a drummer. I don't play the timpani! Hire a percussionist!!!

Comment

I have put in my order for a CY-6. The PD9 pads are great but I would rather something more cymbal like.

I am selling my KD7 kick trigger (mint condition) and one PD9 in great condition (pics of both on my FTP site).

I have not found too many reviews about them on the web (2 so far) but there are a large number of them here on the board. I have not read very many unfavorable comments about them. For the price they may be just the solution I am looking for.

I will keep you posted.

Good luck in your search.

[This message has been edited by Cyberjam (edited June 02, 2002).]
      Kelly Mercer
      Halifax, Nova Scotia
      Canada

My Youtube Channel!
      http://www.youtube.com/user/VirtualMP3Studio

My "home studio" webcam!
      http://virtualmp3studio.ww.com/

Comment

It seems to me there was a rash of posts not too long ago where the CY6 was breaking down for several folks. Some didn't last too long at all. You might want to check into this a bit further. The price is certainly right on these.
        Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

If I like the new Pintech cymbals as much as I think I will, I may have four practically unused CY-6's for sale. I bought them for my personal drumset but my church has an Alesis drum set I play most of the time.
          I'm a drummer. I don't play the timpani! Hire a percussionist!!!

Comment

Thanks for the info....that just about settles it anyway.I wouldn't mind those e-cymbals but I think they would be quite loud compared to the volume I have this thing set on in my house.I've been playing for churches too recently.I think I will stick to the pads I have.......so far I have had no trouble out of them.....except maybe on the SPD-20.

Comment

Originally posted by Buf:
              Thanks for the info....that just about settles it anyway.I wouldn't mind those e-cymbals but I think they would be quite loud compared to the volume I have this thing set on in my house.I've been playing for churches too recently.I think I will stick to the pads I have.......so far I have had no trouble out of them.....except maybe on the SPD-20.
              You might want to try Aquarian cymbal springs on the pads to "soften" their feel and preserve your wrists a bit...

Ed
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              Drumbalaya! Specializing in electronic drum equipment.
              Ed Morin [ mailto:[email protected] ]
              Phone: 866-881-9313 / 425-881-9313 FAX: 425-881-6000 http://www.drumbalaya.com

Comment

Ok, first impressions. So I spent $140 taxes included on my first CY-6 and was not disappointed. It triggers quite well and the feel is not too bad. I have used it to replace the PD7 I had for a ride (yes PD7, I switched the PD9 over for my hi-hat).

It does not feel like its more expensive V cymbal cousins but I like it none the less. I think it would make a better crash cymbal
                than a ride but I need more time with it.

I took the PD7 and mounted it on the floor tom pad using only one mounting clamp (pics available). Yep one post, two pads and no cross talk (with the right settings)!

I will play with it for a week or two and then give you my impressions of it then.

For now, I am pleased with this product and will consider a second CY6 for a crash (once I sell my mint condition KD7!).

[This message has been edited by Cyberjam (edited June 08, 2002).]
                Kelly Mercer
                Halifax, Nova Scotia
                Canada

My Youtube Channel!

My "home studio" webcam!

Comment

I don't think it's entirely true to say that the fit underneath a CY-6 is exact: The inverted V angle of the metal "stopper" is sharper than the angle of the recess on the cymbal lower surface. This does allow some swing in one direction.

I use four CY-6s as Crash1, Crash2, Ride and Hi-Hat. The edge of the two crashes can be moved by hand at least two inches up and two inches down. The ride and HH are tightened down more to prevent this movement.

It took me about six months to realize that the metal "stopper" will go lower down on the post than is obvious at first. You just need to loosen the small bolt almost completely before slipping all the way down and re-tightening, which can give an extra inch at the top. I used to leave the felts off because there wasn't room unless they were really tight. Now I use the felts and still get enough swing for me.

The CY-6 may not swing as well as more recent and more expensive V-cymbals because of the weighting differences. But Roland certainly think they swing because all their publicity, and even the CY-6 Owner's Manual, says so.

But perhaps swinging is in the eye of the swinger??? I'm sure we would all tighten acoustic cymbals to different degrees.

Comment

Ok, it's been a week with the new CY6 set up as my ride cymbal (photos on my website).

I have no problems with it thus far and think a few more might be in order. I have a second one on the way that I might use for a crash.

I am thinking it would serve me better as a hihat pad but the proper mounting means more money.

I will keep you posted.

Kelly Mercer
                    Halifax, Nova Scotia
                    Canada

My Youtube Channel!

My "home studio" webcam!

Comment

My CY-6 does seem to trigger better after the TD-8 update, but I might be imagining it. The difference is subtle, if anything.

For me, the CY-6 is better suited as a ride rather than a crash cymbal. Although the CY-6 doesn't have three-zone capability, its physical characteristics and response are closer to a heavy, rock ride cymbal than a free-swinging crash. It feels closer to a real cymbal than the PD pads, and it plays quieter because it's thinner and uses a more flexible mounting design.

The only problem I have with the CY-6 is that since a few weeks ago, I have experienced a noticeable loss in sensitivity in the rim trigger. I believe I may have hit the edge wrong one day and knocked the FSR out of whack. Has anyone else experienced this? It's a mixed curse: previously the rim was almost too sensitive, always triggering at velocity 127 or close to it; now, it takes a firmer and more accurate whack with the shoulder of the stick to get a full-velocity trigger. (On many of my kits, I assign a RIDEX patch to the rim to get a cross-faded bell sound, so now I get more dynamics in the bell sound, but it doesn't trigger as consistently as it used to.)

Comment

clymore (or anyone),

Can you tell me more about using the CY-6 as a high-hat? Is it sturdy enough to do the job? I am concerned about its durability in the role and want it to stay firmly in place.

I am close to making my e drums purchase, so inputs on this matter would be really appreciate here.

Thanks,

Jeff

Comment

Hi Jeff,
                          I've tried the cy-6 as a hi-hat but didn't feel comfortable with it. The feel was OK but I got a feeling it wouldn't last long.....nothing real....just a feeling.
                          I am having troubles with my crash now and then....choking when hitting the edge.
                          Groet,Cas
                          DIY!!! www.mosphat.com/drumcas

Comment

Working...
                          X