Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Newbie: Did I do right?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie: Did I do right?

I have finally jumped into electronic percussion after drooling for several months now. I set my initial budget to get up and running at $1500, knowing I'll want to upgrade the hell out of it later.

So obviously at that price range, I went with the V-Club set. Got it for $1069 shipped from Kraft Music (they matched BPM mus. I also ordered the CY-12H hi-hat from Kraft for $245 because I think a real hi-hat feel is very important when I'm playing, and I've read good things about it (and some bad, but we'll see, I can always return it.)

Knowing that playing on a rubber snare wasn't going to cut it, I decided to buy a PD-120 for a snare. Kraft didn't have good prices, so I ordered a PD-120 from Midwest Percussion @ $319.99. I also got a Gibraltar 9508C cloth-top throne for $83.95 and a DW 7000PX single bass pedal @ 79.95. Threw in a pair of Vic Firth 5B nylon-tip sticks to complete the picture.

So first off, did I get good deals on the above items? Free shipping from both stores. Also, am I going to need anything else? I've already exceeded my initial budget by $300 (the PD-120 put me over the top, but a mesh snare is essential!)

I have an amplifier, headphones, and all that stuff. So, when everything shows up this week, will I be able to start playing?

This is my first electronic kit and I don't want to forget anything!

Thanks, and I look forward to hanging out around here and learning from all you experienced v-drummers.

-Tony
    kit pr0n.

Don't forget the snare stand.
    :rolleyes:

Comment

Oh yeah, I have a spare snare stand... Forgot to mention that.

Thanks! Looks like I'm all set then. Can't wait.
      kit pr0n.

Comment

You mean they hate the feel of the CY-12H when compared to just a rubber pad for a hi-hat? That would be rather surprising!
        kit pr0n.

Comment

Originally posted by tonycpsu:
          You mean they hate the feel of the CY-12H when compared to just a rubber pad for a hi-hat? That would be rather surprising!
          I was unaware that you could add the CY12 to the PD6 module. Is it a plug and play type of thing?

Comment

Er, um, the PD6 is just an 8.5" single trigger pad... Which will (hopefully?) be replaced by the CY-12H I bought. As far as I know (and someone PLEASE tell me if I'm wrong!) all of the V-Drums and V-Cymbals work with the TD-6 controller that comes with the V-Club set.

My idea is that the CY-12H will replace one of the PD6 modules, and the PD 120 will replace another, allowing me to have a better hi-hat, a MUCH better snare, and use the two PD6's as extra toms or whatever else strikes my fancy. Did I miss a memo, or is this doable?
            kit pr0n.

Comment

I'm sorry, I fat fingered my keyboard. I have a TD-6 module with my v-club set and I am using the PD-6 pad as the hi-hat (stock items that came with V-Club set. I too would like to add the better hi-hat (PD-12 I believe). I heard that you needed a card or adapter to attach this pad to the TD-8 or TD-10 module. I assumed it would not work on the TD-6 as it did not have an expansion slot. (ok, ok, don't rib me about the "assumed" part). What's the gig on this can we add the PD-12 pad to the TD-6 module by just plugging it in to an open port ?

Comment

Well I won't rib you about the "assumed" part, but I *think* you're talking about the CY-12H rather than a PD-12 (I don't know of a PD12, but I'm a newbie around here.)

Roland's site, regarding the CY-12H, says:

Features:

12-inch electronic hi-hat pad with beveled edge for extremely natural playing feel
                Dual-trigger system with individual sensors for edge and bow of cymbal
                Includes exclusive holder set for natural rebound of drum sticks and stable striking performance
                Works with acclaimed Roland FD-7 Hi-Hat Controller (required)
                Compatible with all Roland TD-Series/SPD-Series sound modules

So that makes me think you'll have no problem with the CY-12H on your TD-6. And neither will I, unless I missed something!

The only V-Cymbal limitation I know of on the TD-6 is that the ride cymbal (CY12R/C) has three-way triggering, and the TD-6 won't support the third trigger. Some of the experienced folks will correct any errors... But I think we're okay with our TD6 and the V-Cymbal hi-hat.

[This message has been edited by tonycpsu (edited May 20, 2002).]
                kit pr0n.

Comment

Originally posted by c. jude:
                  [B]I think most would prefer to a traditional rubber pad, but few would say it has a truly "real hi-hat feel".
                  Okay, no miracles then. I guess it's the best option available though.

And yes, it will work with a TD-6. I had a TD-6 for a while as a second module.
                  Awesome, I thought so! I would hate to have to return it if it didn't.
                  kit pr0n.

Comment

Thanks for the clarification Tony. I am new to this E-drumming as well. I bought my v-club set about a month ago. I have never been happier. I can practice anytime I feel like it ! The CY-12 is on my shopping list. I added an additional CY-6 for a second crash cymbal. I still have not found the right cymbal stand and clamp. I tried using the Gibralter hardware but the CY-6 and the half round adapter (that comes with the CY-6) would not fit, the shank on the cymbal stand was not long enough either. I am ordering the cymbal rod and clamp from Roland (identical parts that came with the V-Club).

Joe

Comment

Working...
                    X