Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Adding trigger inputs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding trigger inputs

I amwondering what the simplest and least expensive way to add trigger inputs to the TD-8 is. I've seen the TMC-6 that Roland recently released, but I'm not quite sure how it works. Are there other, less expensive methods? Does anyone have a TMC-6 with soome recomendations?

Thanks,
    Chris

The TD-8 has 10 inputs with two triggers per jack - 2x piezo/piezo (kick and aux) and 8x piezo/fsr inputs, giving 20 unique triggerable sounds (see the block diagram on page 217 of the manual).

There are several ways to add more pads to your setup without buying a TMC-6, but these techniques are hardly mentioned in the manual. It does show how to easily add more single piezo pads through the kick and aux inputs using splitter cables. Further information available on these vdrums forums that outline more sophistocated techniques (search for "grail" and "shack"), but unfortunately they are the source of much confusion and frustration and have never been clearly articulated. My advice is to read the posts, buy a few cables and experiment. It's not as difficult as some would have you believe...

Of course, you could just go buy a TMC-6 or an SPD whathaveyou. This is much more convienient solution, but it's more expensive and crosstalk cancellation is not possible between independent modules.

If you knew all this already and just want more inputs then sorry, I've never tried a TMC-6

Jamie

Comment

Thanks for the input (ha ha, bad pun). No, I didn't already know that. I've been reading some posts on shacking and the grail stuff, but it is quite confusing. With the aux input, can you assign two different sounds if you use a splitter (and, likewise, different levels of eq, threshold, etc)? Do you just use a 'y' splitter from radio shack?

Comment

The TD-8 has 10 inputs (physical stereo jacks, each wired to two triggers). Read past the first five words you quoted and you'd see that I go on to explain splitting the Aux and Kick inputs to get access to individual triggers as you describe.

Sorry, but this is great example of why these forums do not impart clear information!

Jamie

Comment

You can try to find some of my older posts where I discussed using an piezo/fsr and a single piezo triger, tied together with a simple stereo splitter and thereby physically sepererating head and rim inputs from a single piezo/fsr input. Good luck.

BTW. If you do not understand the difference between a piezo and an fsr trigger............hold on tight, its gonna be a bumpy ride.

------------------
          -Drumlogic, V-session, Visulite/roland cymbals, (2)Mackie srm-450's, bbe 482 sonic maximizer,
          -Drumlogic, V-session, Visulite/roland cymbals, (2)Mackie srm-450's, bbe 482 sonic maximizer,

Comment

Working...
          X