Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hi-hat Solutions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi-hat Solutions

Hello,

If you're like me, you've driven yourself to drink (rum of course) looking for an acceptable hi-hat pad for the TD-8. Going through the PD-7, PD-9, CY-12H, and even the PD-100, it didn't look promising. The PD-7/9 pads are too loud and rigid. The PD-100 is too bouncy and looks suspect. And the infamous CY-12H wouldn't track double strokes properly on my TD-8. What a bummer, to say the least.

Well I have finally found a "near-perfect" hi-hat solution: the new CY-12RC! This pad triggers great, feels great, and looks great, with low stick noise taboot. Just mount it on a short cymbal boom from a lower position, as some people have done with the CY-6. The only downside is that the bell part of the cymbal takes up a good portion of the total playing surface, but you quickly get used to it. And since I prefer the bow/edge configuration, when I accidentally hit the bell it triggers the bow sound anyway. All in all, the CY-12RC makes the perfect hi-hat. IMHO of course. What a pleasant surprise.

For those who don't have (or plan on acquiring) a CY-12RC, the CY-14C works just as well, although it looks a bit out of proportion with the rest of the kit. I actually used the CY-14C as hi-hat for about 3 months before purchasing the CY-12RC, and was quite happy with it.
    Roland TD-20 v1.08, various v-drums and v-cymbals, Yamaha KP65's, Axis pedals, Gibraltar hardware, Mackie 1202/SRM450 (pre-china)

Thanks, c. jude.

Now, what happened to the 10", 16", and 18" models?
    Roland TD-20 v1.08, various v-drums and v-cymbals, Yamaha KP65's, Axis pedals, Gibraltar hardware, Mackie 1202/SRM450 (pre-china)

Comment

Working...
    X