Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Using Pintech Pads to expand VCustom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using Pintech Pads to expand VCustom

I had my new VCustom kit delivered a couple of weeks ago and I've got just one problem with it... not enough cymbal pads. I'm used to having 5 or 6 cymbals on my acoustic kit... I keep hitting the ride cymbal thinking it's a crash coz I'm used to having a crash on that side.

...so I need to buy some new pads pretty quick.

I've seen on musiciansfriend.com that the Pintech Hi-Hat pads are way cheaper than and Roland pad options at just $40. If I bought this, I could free up my PD7 as an extra cymbal pad.

Also, Pintech cymbal pads start at $30...

I have 2 questions:

1) Has anyone used Pintech pads? Are they any good or completely useless?

2) Are the Hi-Hat and cymbal pads Dual Zone? Do they allow chokes on the cymbals?

If this is a stupid idea for expanding my kit, let me know... I'm new to the world of VDrums. Any other *cheap* suggestions would be welcome.

I have an expanded V-custom set. (Who doesn't expand??? $^) I'm pretty sure the Pintechs are single-trigger, which wastes a separate cymbal sound. My two suggestions for expansion (cymbal) are:

Yamaha PCY-80S, triangular rubber pad, some flex, dual-trigger. About $70, makes a great ride or hihat.

Roland CY-6: About $80, mounts to standard cymbal bracket, also dual-trigger. I have 2 of these for my crashes now, and a PCY-80S for my ride.

A few folks (Gibraltar, ???) make rack-mount cymbal arms for about $25 or maybe less, for the CY-6's or PCY-80S. Or, if you used the supplied cymbal arms for the 6's, then you can just get multiclamps and L-rods for the PD-7's.

You could add 2 CY-6's as crashes or PCY-80S's as ride/hh, and keep the PD-7's as other cymbal/percussion pads. Just 'Y' Tom 3 into the Kick 1/2 input. This gives you a total of 6 dual-zone cymbals (hh, ride, 4 crashes) along with the snare, 3 toms, and kick, plus you still have the 11/12 input open for 2 dingbats or a BP80 percussion bar!

FWIW, I tilt my cymbals at an appropriate angle so I can strike the edge or the pad, as I like to max the sounds I have. I keep one PD-7 near-vertical to my right as either a cymbal or a percussion pad.

Comment

Originally posted by bensnape:

I have 2 questions:

1) Has anyone used Pintech pads? Are they any good or completely useless?

2) Are the Hi-Hat and cymbal pads Dual Zone? Do they allow chokes on the cymbals?

If this is a stupid idea for expanding my kit, let me know... I'm new to the world of VDrums. Any other *cheap* suggestions would be welcome.

Check out this link:
      http://www.edrums.com/drumcomponents.htm

I own a set of pintechs, and love them. Not to say they are the best, but in my opinion, the best for their cost....

Comment

Working...
      X