Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CY-12 DOES IT KICK PD-7'S BUT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CY-12 DOES IT KICK PD-7'S BUT?

basically is it worth the money taking into account response,feel,and overall badas sness(if it isnt a word it should be)
    -i can levitate birds and no one cares-----------V-CONCERT,CY12H-CY15R/SPD-20-XP-60 V-STUDIO 1824CD,DAUZ PADS,NO RYTHYM AND MISC.CRAP 9"HART SPLASH/AKAI S5000/ASSLOAD OF SAMPLES

The CY-12 looks neat and everything, but I paid $75.00 for a new PD-9 instead and I would have a hard time believing that the CY-12 would do any better as a hi-hat trigger based on my experience with both types of pads. Personally, I don't think it was even necessary for Roland to have introduced the CY-12, but that's just me......
    TD-30 / SPD-SX

Comment

ok that's one vote no........thank you.anyone else?
      -i can levitate birds and no one cares-----------V-CONCERT,CY12H-CY15R/SPD-20-XP-60 V-STUDIO 1824CD,DAUZ PADS,NO RYTHYM AND MISC.CRAP 9"HART SPLASH/AKAI S5000/ASSLOAD OF SAMPLES

Comment

i think the feel of the v-cymbals considerably outperforms the pd-series rubber pads. i bought a couple when putting together my kit and immediately returned them for actual v-cymbals.

so i vote "yes."

Comment

thanks for the responses guys i appreciate it.ill be checking one out this weekend.....we shall see thanks again.

Comment

I got better response from the CY-12 now i have got a TDW-1. I think it is much better then a PD-7/9. The edge sound is easier to play. With the PD-7/9 you have to hit the rim and the pad together to get the edge sound.
            So for me it is definitely "Yes".

Groeten,

Peter

------------------
            My bands: Meneer Van Zanten and The Shed (sorry, both in Dutch but you can see the pictures and listen to our songs)
            My bands: Meneer Van Zanten and The Shed (sorry, both in Dutch but you can see the pictures, videoclips and listen to our songs)

Comment

Not true; you do not have to hit the rim and pad together on the PD-7/9 to get the rim sound! A stroke to the rim at any angle will (*should*!) trigger it. Check your settings. Maybe your threshold on the pad trigger is too high?

Comment

Originally posted by drmoze:
                Not true; you do not have to hit the rim and pad together on the PD-7/9 to get the rim sound! A stroke to the rim at any angle will (*should*!) trigger it. Check your settings. Maybe your threshold on the pad trigger is too high?
                Hi drmoze,

According to the manual to get a rim sound you must hit the pad and the rim together
                But you are right, it is also possible to hit the rim only to get a sound but it's not easy.
                I spend a lot of time playing around with the settings (threshold is very low) but I have to hit it hard and in a specific angle to get it right.
                (maybe I missed something in the 7 years that I played with the PD-7/9's then please tell me)
                With the CY-12 however it is very easy to get a rim sound, just hit it, soft or hard it doesn't matter, and it's always just the way you want it.

Groeten,

Peter

------------------
                My bands: Meneer Van Zanten and The Shed (sorry, both in Dutch but you can see the pictures and listen to our songs)
                My bands: Meneer Van Zanten and The Shed (sorry, both in Dutch but you can see the pictures, videoclips and listen to our songs)

Comment

I also use low threshold and higher sensitivity settings (around 10 with TD-10Exp) and have had no problem hitting just the rim and getting separate sounds. It's very natural feeling. I don't have to use any awkward angles or anything. I typically use the rims for crashes, splashes and a tamborine.

For absolute max volume, hitting the rim and pad simultaneously gives the best results, but, for me, just hitting the rim is not far from maximum.
                  Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

Yea, it does, GRRAVEE.

------------------
                    Thanx.
                    Alex & me V's! http://photos.yahoo.com/flexapr
                    Thanx. Alex & me V's! http://photos.yahoo.com/flexapr

Comment

well poop.now i gotta buy one.....please honey!please? i'll rub your feet for a week...pretty please?.....well hear goes nothing.

Comment

Peter, I believe the manual refers to the fact that you only need to hit the head and rim together to get a rimshot sound on the snare. The fsr rim trigger and piezo head trigger on the PD-7/9 (for cymbal sounds) are separate. I hit mine every whichway and get consistent rim sounds on the rim, head sounds on the head, never hit both together.

On-topic note: if you don't absolutely require a round V-cymbal look, check out the Yamaha PCY-80S triangular cymbal pads. Great response, quieter, cheaper and more flexible than PD-7/9's, and they make nice rides and hihats. (Tried mine as a HH this week and liked it!)

Comment

Working...
                        X