Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody tried the Yamaha MS400 or Behringer B300?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody tried the Yamaha MS400 or Behringer B300?

With all this talk about the JBL G2, Mackie SRM450, and the PM-3. I was just wondering if anyone has tried the Yamaha MS400 or the Behringer B300 powered speakers. The Yamaha has 400 watts like the G2, the Behringer is only 300. Both are cheaper than the JBL or the Mackie around $399. Or maybe you get what you pay for?

I was wondering the same thing about Yamaha's MS400. Almost the same specs as JBL's EON15 G2, but Musicians Friend is red tagging them for $399 - thats about $300 less than the G2! I wouldn't trust the Behringer, but Yamaha is a good name. Sounds too good to be true.

Unless it sounds bad. When they first came out they were priced similar. Anyone listen to or have one?

Comment

I have tried the yamaha mackie and jbl and although I found the mackie the best sounding the yamaha sounded more like the JBL. In the uk there is not such a difference in price but if there had been I would have bought the yamaha

Comment

One of my local shops is raving about dB Technologies Opera 415 Speakers too.
        Seems very light 40lbs for it's stated power.
        100w Top/450w Bottom - Must be a small heatsing or something. About 500
        They're distributed by Beyer Dynamic so maybe they're OK??

http://www.db-aeb.com/speakeractive-e.html#opera

Thanks for any advice
        Mick
        www.royfulton.co.uk, www.zendrum.com ,Tempus Drums, Istanbul Agop, Regal Tip, Alesis DMPro, D4,Garageband, HK Powerworks PA

Comment

I compared the dB Opera 415 with the JBL EON G2. Or better: I was looking for the dB Opera and tested it separately with a ddrum. I did not like it from scratch. The specifications and price where good (in Germany these Operas are very cheap) but I did not like the sound. The highs were screaming, the lows not strong enough. I was disappointed since the dB Opera would be a friend for my wallet.

Then I asked the shop keeper to hold the JBL EON G2. Just for to test and be sure. Fortunately my wife was with me. She realized how expensive the JBL was, but asked why buying a powered speaker which makes our bank account happy but not you (So the lesson is: always take your wife with you.) I ended up with the JBL. More expensive, but so much better...

Robert

Comment

I have a Yamaha MS400 coming in tomarrow. I found one for $369 so I decided to go ahead buy it. I'll let you all know how it sounds in a few days.

Comment

Could you please share where you got the MS400 for $369? I'm really interested in getting one. Thanks

Comment

I got the MS400 from AMS ( www.americanmusical.com ) It was in the "Special Buys" section as a B-Stock item. I think their regular price is $469, but Riks Music, I saw, had them for $399 and they usualy pay the shipping ( www.riksmusic.com )
                I havent got to run my drums threw it yet, but I did run a CD player into it and it sounded pretty good, very loud. I will Post when I get a chance to play my Vs threw it.

Comment

Originally posted by drumrboy69:
                  I havent got to run my drums threw it yet, but I did run a CD player into it and it sounded pretty good
                  Just keep in mind, your drums will sound different then a CD would through any speaker. The CD sounds are processed differently then the V sounds (or any edrum system for that matter).

------------------
                  Outboard gear: Focusrite Compounder, Drawmer MX-30, BBE-482, Aphex C-104, Behringer T1951 4-Band Parametric Tube EQ, Lexicon MPX1, Mackie 1402-VLZ, (Crown K2 amp & Cerwin Vega V-253 speakers = 1600 watts @ 4 ohms continues power, peak at 3000 watts) and Sony MDR-V700DJ headphones.
                  Studio

Comment

drumrboy69, have you had time to play your V-Drums through them yet? Please give us some detailed info when you do. Anxiously waiting....

Comment

I have the ddrum4 but when listening to the yamaha's I used a td10 in the shop. I thought the yamaha's sounded realy good. A bit warmer and less revealing than the mackie but still very good. They are also a bit lumpy on the bottom end but some people like this.

Comment

"They are also a bit lumpy on the bottom end but some people like this".
                        Mark.king,
                        Can you expound on "LUMPY"? I'm thinking of buying a couple strictly for personal monitoring and if "Lumpy" means "lots-a-bass" then thats what I'm looking for. Thanks,
                        Ken

Comment

Yeh they are bassy. You would probably like them. In fact I liked them but in the uk there was not a big price difference between them and the mackie and I prefered the mackies.

Comment

Well I got to finally play with the MS-400 with my TD-8. I liked it, I ran through alot of different kicks and it did really well, alot of high end "click" almost piercing even with the high control turned only a 1/4 of the way up, I changed the head type from clear to coated and that fixed it. I didnt think it was overly bassy, but had good low end. I was using a Peavey KB300 before this and the Yamaha was alot better on the high side and the low side. The snare almost tore my head off, it really cut through. And the toms sounded perfect. I didnt really try any cymbal sounds (I didnt have alot of time and I use real cymbals with mine). One thing I dont like is the inputs. You only get one line input with volume control that has an XLR in and a 1/4 inch in, the other input is a mic input with volume control and only an XLR in. the parralell out is only XLR. I would like a 1/4 input on both channels for monitoring ( I use the headphone out with an insert cable to go to my monitor, run left with kick and toms and right with snare and effect sounds, all the other outs are used with direct boxes to run to the snake for FOH, this works very well and is very easy for setup) Keep in mind that I have never tried the JBL or the Mackie, but I cant imagine, for the price differance, them being THAT much better. If you are thinking of getting a pair, I think you will be very happy with them. I'm actually thinking of buying another one now

Comment

Working...
                            X