Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SERIOUS mixer problems - BUYER BEWARE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SERIOUS mixer problems - BUYER BEWARE

Ok folks, I know this is off topic and not related to V-drums directly, but I want to get this out....

We just purchased a Behringer MX8000 Eurodesk console from a studio...in absolute MINT condition so we thought. This baby looked sweet - 8 bus, 6 aux sends/returns, meter bridge....case... we were pumped - UNTIL we plugged it in. It literally lasted 24 seconds, then locked up. After inspecting the external power supply for loose solders, and some basics on the console, we determined that this thing is %()&*#ED up. VERY disappointing.

After some more research, I found that ALL Eurodesk mixers are known for poor quality, poorly designed circuitry, power supply problems, and have actually cut out in the middle of recordings & gigs... MAN it pays to do some research first!

One gets what one pays for.

This thing is going back and the charges are being disputed. It was DOA in my definition.

We are going with a Mackie 32x4x2 VLZ. Same price, Mackie quality...some less features, but I need reliability.

Just a buyer beware.....FYI....for those in the market.

Erik
    SEPdrums

[This message has been edited by sepdrums (edited December 30, 2001).]

Originally posted by sepdrums:
    Ok folks

We just purchased a Behringer

After some more research, I found that ALL Eurodesk mixers are known for poor quality, poorly designed circuitry, power supply problems, and have actually cut out in the middle of recordings & gigs... MAN it pays to do some research first!
    UH-Yeah Man don't buy a Behringer...

Comment

In several discussions groups around the Internet Behringer is accused for:

1. lame components which they buy from doubtful companies (always looking for the lowest price above any search for quality). Hence their components are really bad and hence their products are never on stock or their products are anounced and they can't give you a date when they will be shipped.
      2. child labour in China (at the abovementioned companies)
      3. and a few other bad, bad things.

Erik, your discoveries with Behringer (and many other experiencies from people) showed that point 1 is true for sure...

I feel sorry.
      Robert

Comment

Luckily my card company & the seller are somewhat receptive to the problems and dispute. The seller seems honest. I think the console was destroyed in transit.

Will be interesting.

Rob - thanks for the input. I wish I had asked these questions first.

Erik
        SEPdrums

Comment

I kinda have been taking for granted that most people are aware of the numerous concerns with that company. However, I have seen discussion about some of their products recently with very little mention of the potential pitfalls. Over the years, the reputation that I have encountered has at least remained constant: complaints outnumber compliments by many times. I have seen and heard many of their products, but have yet to find one IMO worth even the discount prices asked.

The more political issues I will not get involved in, but I feel compelled to chime in; if anyone else hasn't already heard it, that by and large the stuff is of poorer quality. You might can pick up a cheap substitute and not have a problem in some application, but if you do, you will be beating the odds, because that has not been the experience of the people I have known to try it.

In fairness, I have not tried every Behringer product, so there may well be (and likely are) some exceptions. Just be aware. A Behringer Truth speaker may look curiously like a Mackie HR824, but it is a lot like the way a Pontiac Fiero looks like a Ferrari. There are other Behringer products with model number/names that resemble the quality gear that they simulate. I'm not going to slam them further, but this kind of thing might be allright for some to save a few bucks on cologne, but not for something that really may matter to you.

Just FWIW.

Comment

Just back up what everyone else has said. I have had my fair share of Behringer products and I have had my fair share of problems.

Go with Mackie
            Steve

'I only ever quote myself - except when I quote someone else' - me

, plenty of , and , , triggered acoustics, , and a plethora of PA blah blah freakin blah...I mean does anyone care about the specifics of pedals, speakers, processors, hardware or anything that I'm using?? :confused: Hmmm, maybe this is an appropriate place to mention that I tried out a new cymbal stand the other day...

Comment

Originally posted by puttenvr:
              2. child labour in China (at the abovementioned companies)
              Just like everybody's Nike shoes, all the firework that gets shot into the air etc. etc.

------------------
              http://mpcman.flappie.nl
              Music was my first love...

Comment

Originally posted by MPCman:
                Just like everybody's Nike shoes, all the firework that gets shot into the air etc. etc.
                Yep. And for this reason I don't buy Nike shoes and I get my firework from an obscure company in Enschede. We will have to start somewhere to improve the world. Happy 2002.
                Robert

Comment

You, I'm for national patriotism and all that...but Chinese people need to eat too. I prefer to buy what I perceive as being the best on the market for my personal needs, regardless of whether it's made in the USA, China, or anywhere else.
                  "I'm not a guitarist, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night!"

Comment

I bought my "Nike" shoes from Beijing Dec 2000. It's still ok. Fireworks you only light up once and it's gone...

Fon
                    Fon.

TD8 with PD7's, 2 KD7's (From previous TD7)
                    Tama Rockstar with mix of Sabian, Zildjian and Paiste.

Comment

Well be glad you didn't get the optional meter bridge.

There is a neat problem with that thing (the meter bridge) that puts the sound of the LED's firing into the audio.

The new MX9000 is quite an improvement, but Behringer stuff can be dodgy.

My keyboard player has a 2642 that has been fine for a few years, but a lot of their gear fails in the first year, or out of the box.

Then the real problem is that there is not a lot of factory service for them, basically two places nationwide, and believe it not that's a big improvement over a few years back.

Just to be fair, although the Mackie stuff is built much better, there are a lot of issues with them as well, usually minor related to ribbon cable problems, although a lot of faders and stuff are starting to go on 8 bus mixers that are around 5 or 6 years old.

The whole problem with these kinds of boards is that unlike a "real console" the channels are traces on a large circuit board. This makes them very difficult to repair, unlike other brands that use a dedicated circuit board for each channel.

Not to be a snob, but you will generally find that outside the MI world, Mackie's are not thought of that well, in fact a lot of riders for concert gear will say "NO MACKIE, NO PEAVEY".

For the casual user, weekend warrior type band they are fine, but I wouldn't put them in the same category as an Allen and Heath or Soundcraft for live use.

Jay Storey

Originally posted by sepdrums:
                      Ok folks, I know this is off topic and not related to V-drums directly, but I want to get this out....

We just purchased a Behringer MX8000 Eurodesk console from a studio...in absolute MINT condition so we thought. This baby looked sweet - 8 bus, 6 aux sends/returns, meter bridge....case... we were pumped - UNTIL we plugged it in. It literally lasted 24 seconds, then locked up. After inspecting the external power supply for loose solders, and some basics on the console, we determined that this thing is %()&*#ED up. VERY disappointing.

One gets what one pays for.

This thing is going back and the charges are being disputed. It was DOA in my definition.

We are going with a Mackie 32x4x2 VLZ. Same price, Mackie quality...some less features, but I need reliability.

Just a buyer beware.....FYI....for those in the market.

Erik
                      SEPdrums

[This message has been edited by sepdrums (edited December 30, 2001).]

Comment

Originally posted by Jay Storey:
                        outside the MI world,
                        Dumb question -- what is "MI"?
                        Roland TD-20 v1.08, various v-drums and v-cymbals, Yamaha KP65's, Axis pedals, Gibraltar hardware, Mackie 1202/SRM450 (pre-china)

Comment

Originally posted by ufotofu:
                          Dumb question -- what is "MI"?
                          musical instrument
                          Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

Working...
                          X