Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FD-7 "pedal" sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FD-7 "pedal" sound

I'm slowly putting together my kit one piece at a time. For now, it's too expensive for me to buy both the FD-7 and a PD-9 or the new CY-15H. I would be happy with just a pedal if it gives me a decent "pedal hi-hat" sound when I play it with my foot. Can anyone tell me if I can play it that way with decent results, without the accompanying pad?

Thanks!
    TD-10 (not expanded), PD-120, 2xPD-100, KD-7, snare stand, double-tom stand.

This must be a joke, right??

The quality of the HH sound does not depend upon the pedal or the pad but the module!
    Steve

'I only ever quote myself - except when I quote someone else' - me

, plenty of , and , , triggered acoustics, , and a plethora of PA blah blah freakin blah...I mean does anyone care about the specifics of pedals, speakers, processors, hardware or anything that I'm using?? :confused: Hmmm, maybe this is an appropriate place to mention that I tried out a new cymbal stand the other day...

Comment

If you use anything else other than a FD-7 then you won't have the open and close of the high hat. If you use a pad, then you will only get the open high hat sound unless you have an exp TD-10.

Comment

Steveo, it's not a joke. I forgot to say that I'm using a TD-10.

I was just asking about the action of the pedal itself, whether it's good enough to be used by itself or if it's really only useful when playing on a pad also.

Thanks anyway.
        TD-10 (not expanded), PD-120, 2xPD-100, KD-7, snare stand, double-tom stand.

Comment

If you're just looking for the pedal close ("chick") sound, the FD7 will work just fine by itself. (you can get a heel splash sound too, but I've found it hard to get consistently)

Mike
          ATV aDrums, ATV aD5, eDRUMin, Presonus Quantum 2, SD3

Comment

Originally posted by molson:
            ...(you can get a heel splash sound too, but I've found it hard to get consistently)

Mike
            Try tweaking your trigger settings.

Comment

Actually it's probably just me - my left foot has a tendency to just flop around like a dying carp. I should probably learn how to use it one of these days.
              ATV aDrums, ATV aD5, eDRUMin, Presonus Quantum 2, SD3

Comment

my left foot has a tendency to just flop around like a dying carp. I should probably learn how to use it one of these days.
                Set yourself up left-handed and practice like that for a month.

I've been meaning to do that myself...
                Roland TD-20 v1.08, various v-drums and v-cymbals, Yamaha KP65's, Axis pedals, Gibraltar hardware, Mackie 1202/SRM450 (pre-china)

Comment

Originally posted by ufotofu:
                  Set yourself up left-handed and practice like that for a month.
                  Seems to me this would only teach the left foot bass-drum work (and the right foot becomes the dying carp). Still, it should help. I'd prefer to add a 2nd kick to discipline that left foot. Going opposites on E's could be a major configuration hassle.

My advise would be to set up a practice regimen of bass, snare and HH only. Now, get creative and explore all the possibilities. Limiting yourself to only these would force the creative juices to flow. Why? It's our immune system's way of fighting off boredom. The result should be a vibrant barracuda of a left foot (and some killer riffs you never knew you had in you).

Comment

If you're just looking for the pedal close ("chick") sound, the FD7 will work just fine by itself. (you can get a heel splash sound too, but I've found it hard to get consistently)

Mike
                    Funny,me too.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc.:
                      Seems to me this would only teach the left foot bass-drum work (and the right foot becomes the dying carp). Still, it should help. I'd prefer to add a 2nd kick to discipline that left foot. Going opposites on E's could be a major configuration hassle.

My advise would be to set up a practice regimen of bass, snare and HH only. Now, get creative and explore all the possibilities. Limiting yourself to only these would force the creative juices to flow. Why? It's our immune system's way of fighting off boredom. The result should be a vibrant barracuda of a left foot (and some killer riffs you never knew you had in you).
                      Excellent advise Marc.
                      THX

Comment

Working...
                      X