Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Kurzweil Event Station

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kurzweil Event Station

No longer a Kurzweil product but now a Starr Labs product available directly from them. Harvey Starr is an inventor and creator of the Ztar and other amazing prducts including the Event Station. It has 16 stereo pad inputs and a host of advanced featurs, here's a link. scroll down and you'll find it. http://catalog.com/starrlab/kurzweil.html
    Drumkat Turbo 4.5, Emulator X3, Superior 2.1, Roland Fantom XR, DTXtreme III, SPD-20 etc.......

I've just bought one, I'll tell you about it when I get it
    Drumkat Turbo 4.5, Emulator X3, Superior 2.1, Roland Fantom XR, DTXtreme III, SPD-20 etc.......

Comment

I'm doing beta testing on the unit, it will, according to Harvey, be able to use any pedal, or pad input type in any input. You choose what type of pad, piezo/rim switch, dual piezo, PSR Kurzweil/Dauz, FSR pad array, 2 zone mesh. All functions are available through midi, plug a TD10 into it and map to chords, 8 note layers, anything the unit does. You can play your setup as you're used to and get alot more functions just through midi. He's an amazing guy and you can call him and talk to the engineer, he designed the unit 619.233.6715. I've been waiting for a box like this for a long time.

[This message has been edited by jrcel (edited December 16, 2001).]

Comment

How much does it cost?
        to v or not to v?

Comment

Originally posted by ToBiMaN:
          How much does it cost?
          Dunno, but they must be fond of it. I was quoted a price for "testing" a unit. I typically receive compensation for articles, reviews, etc., but sometimes will do one gratis to establish a relationship, but in all cases, I get to keep the gear. It just goes without saying.

Anyway, seeing as I can't tell from the print to date exactly what the unit does and how well it may do it, I can't determine if I would want one, never mind what price I'd pay. I politely did not respond back.

I would be curious to read someone else's technical and subjective reviews if it seems to show promise. I have seen used models asking as high as $500, so I expect a new model will go for something more than that. I was offered to "test" one for substantially less, but times will have to get pretty tough indeed before I consider paying to test something.

Comment

Originally posted by feefer:
            Drkildrum, I'm guessing the price for this item will be considered too steep for those looking mainly for a pad-to-MIDI interface device. A TD-6/8 would be an inexpensive option in this category, even if you never used the internal sounds. The ability to play chords, etc, might be cool, but basically nothing that can't be done with a MIDI event processor (which blossomed in the 80's, and are pretty cheap, used on eBay).

I'm guessing this will be more of a niche product, as most of this company's items are.

Chris
            Still, the number of pads that it supports (all dual zone and of all types) is nice (it does say so on several of the sites I have reviewed). 8 layers of velocity swithching of samples is also nice. So is the ability to "record" control changes, etc. It certainly sounds more promising than the typical pad to midi interface. The looping/stacking/arpeggio feature(s) have interesting application possibilities, and so on.

In addition to my TD-10exp, I have a TD-6, a PM-12 and another pad to midi interface (not to mention my Akai sampler). Something like the event station could potentially replace (and maybe a lot more than) what I use the TD-6 and pad to midi(s) for. I'm still intrigued, but not enough to pay out for the privelege of reviewing one. I'll wait for an in depth review and/or until I can demo one at retail I guess (preferably both).

Comment

I don't know of any electronic manufactrer who would pay someone to review a product, then let that person keep the product. Modern Drummer usually has to give the review items back to the company. The deal is you pay half price to get in on the beta test phase, you then receive software upgrades for free as they come out. You also have to write drumkits and work with the designer to fix any bugs and suggest features which is why I'm doing it. I think to be viable, this unit should have an algorythmn to detect position on all inputs, and to combine sequencer funtions found on all other units currently on the market. Roland's "tap", Yamaha's cho, bas channel play. Starr Labs is a small botique manufacturer who works with the people who play his equipment, not a behemeth like Roland or Yamaha who produce 15,000 units at a time, then discontinues leaving the end user with an obsolete piece of junk that he paid way too much for in the first place. It's just a different mind set, one isn't better than the other, it's just different. There is a 30 day money back guarantee, if I hate it, it goes back and I get my money back, if on the other hand, I think it's something that's worth while, I stay with it. Right now, lets face it, Roland has it sewn up, I like working with component systems, pads, interface, module/sampler. In order for me to do this, I've had to turn to small companies like Starr Labs, ALternate Mode. It's been very frustrating in the last two years trying to find one unit with all the features I want, so I've turned to something that I would have some input on and can have an affect on what it does.

[This message has been edited by jrcel (edited December 17, 2001).]

Comment

On this thing you can sweep through 8 notes or use a CC#, you just train the pedal and set it up the way you want it. The Drumkat is cool because every aspect of the pedal's function is user adjustable and the Event Station is the same way. Anyway, I'll post to this thread with my views. PS, those new Akai samplers look like Da bomb, they have 20gig IDE hard drive as standard equipment. Cheers.

[This message has been edited by jrcel (edited December 17, 2001).]

Comment

I don't know of any electronic manufactrer who would pay someone to review a product, then let that person keep the product.
                  To be completely accurate, I have only tested three electronic percussion products to date, in those three cases, I was offered the products. But as that is the sum total of my experience with e-drum testing/reviewing, so you may well be right, and I will defer to your opinion, as I have only recently taken any interest at all in electronic percussion, and I may have just got "lucky" with those.

However, since my semi-retirement, I have done a fair bit of review and testing on acoustic drum products and other music gear as sort of a sideline. There have been exceptions, but generally the gear is part of the deal. For the most part, unless it is something I really want, I will return it, as it facilitates no problems when an expensive piece comes up for review that I do want to keep. (However, with a lot of it, the companies don't even want to bother with the hassle of arranging and paying the freight back).

Anyway, not trying to spark argument... but, co-incidentally, I have got free gear out of both Alternate Mode directly just a few months back, and Modern Drummer indirectly on several occasions over many years.

All that aside, please let me know what you find out about the Event Station, I sincerely am interested.

Comment

Working...
                  X