Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

TD-8 with V-Cymbals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TD-8 with V-Cymbals

There are no v-cymbals in the trigger menu on the TD-8. The Roland site says V-Cymbals can be used with any V module except the rim/bow/bell feature on the ride which is unique to the TD-10.

Has anyone tried setting them up, and what settings did you use?

Perhaps the PD-7 dual trigger will work with changed sensitivity etc, but I am curious to know if the positional sensing on the HH pad works. The Roland V-Cymbal pages don't exclude any modules for this function.

Roland TD20 with Pearl double-pedals, and Yamaha 'professional' HH stand. Extra 2 x PD8, CY5 and Yamaha 5" cymbal. Personal PA - HK1000 amp, Koss 3AA headphones, Vic-Firth 5a-extra wood-tip Sticks, V-Expressions kit profiles. Band PA uses 2 x Bose L1 with three subs.

G'day Raymond.

I'm not sure about the positional sensing on the HH (This is the first I've heard of it): but people on this forum are using the V-Cymbals successfully with the TD-8 (with the noted limitation of the rim/bow/bell frature on the ride).

Can I suggest that you look into the CY-6 as an alternative to the V-Cymbals. I have a TD-8 - and debated the V-C's against the CY-6 and chose the CY-6. I've been thouroughly happy with it's performance. Plus they are much cheaper (I paid $200 at the Guitar Factory - Paramatta).

Sorry that I haven't answered your question - just thought the suggestion may be useful.

Andy.
    Andy
    TD-20, Pair of JBL-Eon15 G2's & Sub

Check out the demo tracks to hear my V's at

http://www.thebrokenangelband.co.uk/

Comment

The V'cymbals instructions come with settings for all the TD and SPD brains. At least the CY-6 did. I will be firing up a set of CY-6's on the church kit on Thursday and using them over the weekend I will let you know how it goes.

------------------
      Ted H.
      www.tocsinrocks.com
      Ted H.

Comment

The v-cymbals did not exist when the TD-8 came out, so you won't find anything about them on the module or in the manual. According to the v-cymbal manual, the PD7 setting is best for the TD-8. Try a search for "v-cymbal" and "td-8" together. Enjoy.
        Roland TD-20 v1.08, various v-drums and v-cymbals, Yamaha KP65's, Axis pedals, Gibraltar hardware, Mackie 1202/SRM450 (pre-china)

Comment

Originally posted by ufotofu:
          The v-cymbals did not exist when the TD-8 came out
          That's why I bought a TD-10.
          Steve

'I only ever quote myself - except when I quote someone else' - me

, plenty of , and , , triggered acoustics, , and a plethora of PA blah blah freakin blah...I mean does anyone care about the specifics of pedals, speakers, processors, hardware or anything that I'm using?? :confused: Hmmm, maybe this is an appropriate place to mention that I tried out a new cymbal stand the other day...

Comment

Thanks everyone. The CY6 was the way to go and works fine on the settings you mention.

I also found a guy using the 12A setting OK, who even knows of someone who mounted a CY6 to use as a Hi-Hat (a lot cheaper than the proper Roland unit).

As for the rich person with TD10. I could not afford it, wanted to use the GM mode of the 8/6, and all the 700 patterns - as I spend a lot of time practicing without other musos around.
            Roland TD20 with Pearl double-pedals, and Yamaha 'professional' HH stand. Extra 2 x PD8, CY5 and Yamaha 5" cymbal. Personal PA - HK1000 amp, Koss 3AA headphones, Vic-Firth 5a-extra wood-tip Sticks, V-Expressions kit profiles. Band PA uses 2 x Bose L1 with three subs.

Comment

Hey Gang. My search turned up this most appropriate thread.

My PD7, HiHat's central trigger died during our jam today. It still has a week left on my 1 yr. warranty. So I brought it to GC, here in SF & will get it back in 2-4 weeks.

I again played an expanded Roland TD10 w/V-cymbals for 15 mins. a bit ago. They seemed to be well setup (loose/swaying). I have to admit, playing the V-Hihat while opening & closing the FD7 was much like an acoustic HH in feel & response. I'm contemplating getting a full array of V-Cymbals now. I'd be selling my excess PD7's & PD9 or hooking them into an SPD-20 later. I can spend the $$ but only if it's worth it on a TD8? I view it as a one-time musical investment, at least for a couple o' years.

Based on what I've read, the Roland's have the best response. My concern is which are most musically dynamic & sensitive, not which are shiniest or twinkliest. Hehehe! That sounds so Gay!

Sorry. I'm also concerned with size of Vcymbals. I don't need them big. If they made 10" versions of what I played this eve., I'd buy them for my HH, Crashes, & Ride, etc.

Taking all this into account, would you kindly spare yer opinion as to what I should buy? I'll pay what I have to in order to get quality, optimum performance, & compactness to complement my TD8 & PD80s.TY!

------------------
              Thanx!
              -Alex & V's: http://photos.yahoo.com/flexapr
              Thanx. Alex & me V's! http://photos.yahoo.com/flexapr

Comment

Alex,
                IMO, there are three main things to consider: how they feel, how they trigger, and how much they cost.

Again IMO, the V-cymbals feel the best overall of the e-cymbals out there today. I like the weight, rebound and swing characteristics. They are not just like their acoustic counterparts, but they work very nicely for e's.

The triggering of the V-cyms is about as good (or better) than any of the high end e-cymbals when used with the TD-8, but the cost is generally more, so you may really need to love the first point above to justify the $. [With a TD-10 expanded (with TDW-1) with V-cymbal control, the triggering, sounds etc., are so vastly improved, that (once again IMO) the cost is justified if you have that module and card.]

The other consideration, cost, I have already mentioned. As you have the TD-8, the triggering will be as good as anything else, and the feel (is up to how YOU like the feel). CY-6s may be a good alternative for you. They are smaller (10" I believe) and are about the best value for $ I have seen in an e-cymbal. They are not as heavy and do not swing as well, but they trigger well and have two zones (and are relatively inexpensive).

Comment

Thanx doc! 10" Vcymbals are appealing, as they would better complement my 8" PDs. I just don't think my GRS350C could accomodate the larger cymbals, whatever the brand. I've set up my kit to be compact & entirely symmetrical, whilst being conscious of not overcrowding my playing space.

The CY-6 seems to have less of a rubber coating than the 12, 14, & 15. Is the dual triggering the same on all CYs?

My first electric kit was the expanded TDE-7K in 7/95'. Over the years, I've realized that trying to consistently trigger the rims of PD7's & PD9's is impractical, especially when you're going nuts or soloing. It's very difficult to get a good open hihat sound on the edge of a PD7, consistently. Playing intricate patterns uptop is great & incredibly responsive. I can't believe I've gone so long with this incomplete Hihat!

Maybe, for aesthetic & symmetry purposes I should just get 2 or 3 of the new 12CY-R/Cs also? Are they fully rubber coated & cheaper? What'll suck is that my 12" V-Hihat will be the largest pad in my setup! Boohoo.

You've got the most bootiful V-set I've seen sofar, btw.

------------------
                  Thanx!
                  -Alex & V's: http://photos.yahoo.com/flexapr
                  Thanx. Alex & me V's! http://photos.yahoo.com/flexapr

Comment

Thanks, Alex.

My kit sets up nicely for my needs (almost identical to my main acoustic kit), but I would not choose form over substance. While there are better pads than the two Yamaha pads I use, I specifically chose them because of their size and (different) feel (I did not need intricate triggering out of these). Otherwise, everything else was chosen by best overall feel and playability available (to my tastes) first and foremost. I handled sound as a separate issue, opting for sampled sounds primarily and using very little of the module sounds layered in. In other words, they may look good, but that was not a consideration in choosing the components.

So my advice would be, if you have physical limitations on size, etc., then buy the best quality (triggering/feel) pads you can afford within those parameters.

As for the various CY's triggering. That is hard to quantify. The triggering of the hat, crash and ride CYs are a notch better than the CY-6 IMO even on an unexpanded module. On an expanded module, both get better, buy the others retain an edge of the CY-6 because of the way they swing and play overall (this is subjective so try them to verify, you may like the feel of the CY-6 better and then your decision would be a no-brainer). The feel of the ride and crashes is essentially the same, with the ride having a little less swing as would be expected. The hat has a very unusual feel at first that really grows on you. In fact, I have two now, one on each side of my kit, I like it that much.

The CY-6 only has a wedge shaped playing area. Hitting the part that is not rubber coated usually results in a full volume trigger because it is so sensitive across the uncovered part. It does not really present a problem though, the playing area really covers where you would hit a cymbal and where most mi****s will occur. I don't think I've ever missed the playing area and hit the plastic after getting them positioned the first week or so. You might ask of those who are using a CY-6 as a hi-hat what their experience has been. I haven't tried that, so haven't really considered if the playing area needs to be wider for hat work or what it would feel like locked down and not allowed to swing.

The new R/Cs are fully rubber coated, but I have not seen a price on them yet.

In any event, I always say try before you buy. Some swear by PD-7s and 9s for cymbals although I don't particularly like the feel even with Aquarian cymbal springs or something to allow them to give a bit.

Try the CYs out thoroughly if you can before committing. The CY-6s are relatively reasonably priced but the others are relatively expensive compared to other alternatives. Make sure they are worth it to you.

Comment

Working...
                    X