Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

ADVICE/PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!
See more
See less

Official Discussion Topic: Headphones

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by djska View Post
    Just want to share experience with the Sony WH-1000XM2 noise-cancelling phones here: I bought these phones in Summer for a really long flight, and for that use they are great, noise-cancelling works fine also works to dampen acoustic stick noise when used when playing on the E-Drum kit. But from an audio perspective they really sound poor at least compared to my Sennheiser's, and with active noise cancelling on, too much coloring of sounds, emphasizing lows and highs. So thumbs down for this pair!
    Agreed! I highly advise not to buy SONY 1000XM3 headphones. They distort, the sound is too low and they canít handle V drums. But for general listening ie phone, Bluetooth, noise cancelling etc they are amazing. Just donít buy for e drums!

Comment

• Originally posted by mezemus View Post

Agreed! I highly advise not to buy SONY 1000XM3 headphones. They distort, the sound is too low and they canít handle V drums. But for general listening ie phone, Bluetooth, noise cancelling etc they are amazing. Just donít buy for e drums!
      I strongly disagree. To me sony wh-1000Xm3 are perfect for v-drums. I use them with roland td-17kvx kit and the quality of sound is perfect. Noise cancelling is a massive bonus as it dampens the noise from the pads. Remember to switch the headphones on, even when connected with the cable!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by 8thnotepete View Post

I strongly disagree. To me sony wh-1000Xm3 are perfect for v-drums. I use them with roland td-17kvx kit and the quality of sound is perfect. Noise cancelling is a massive bonus as it dampens the noise from the pads. Remember to switch the headphones on, even when connected with the cable!!!
        I haven't tested any headphones with noise cancellation while playing my kit, but I would be very impressed if it noticeably dampened stick hits, especially hitting cymbals with the tip. From what I know it's mostly effective for background noise, not bursts of noise like with vdrums. Unless we're talking about noise isolation.

Comment

• Repeating myself, the Sony does damping the pad noise in nc mode, but I don't like that it then also colors the sound.
          E-kit: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vpx92wez8v...3558.jpg?raw=1
          A-kit: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vxkwbj1rv7...345-1.jpg?raw=1
          TD-30, KT10, PD-105/125, 13" DIY + BT-1, VH-11/CY14/15/5, PM-30, HD-280 Pro

Comment

• Originally posted by Excessium View Post

I haven't tested any headphones with noise cancellation while playing my kit, but I would be very impressed if it noticeably dampened stick hits, especially hitting cymbals with the tip. From what I know it's mostly effective for background noise, not bursts of noise like with vdrums. Unless we're talking about noise isolation.
            I briefly had the wh-1000xm3 to use with my mimic and and had the same experiences as Mezemus. I returned them and got the Bose QC25's and they sound pretty close to ATH-M50s and the noise cancellation works wonderfully to dampen stick noise. You can find them fairly cheap these days.

Comment

• Originally posted by Froticidal View Post

I briefly had the wh-1000xm3 to use with my mimic and and had the same experiences as Mezemus. I returned them and got the Bose QC25's and they sound pretty close to ATH-M50s and the noise cancellation works wonderfully to dampen stick noise. You can find them fairly cheap these days.
              Interesting. I'm still not very big on over the ear headphones (discomfort, sweat, all that) and I would prefer a better sound to more isolation, at least unless I get A2E cymbals. And as far as I know the QC35 doesn't really have better sound than the QC25. Not sure about the Sony model.

Comment

• Do the M50x's really cover stick noise? I'm looking at this review and it sounds like their noise isolation is rather poor?
                My benchmark for stick noise would of course be bow hits on a closed hi-hat, since that is more or less the highest ratio of acoustic noise/triggered sound volume.
                I might just show up with my VH-11 and a stick at some store and try different sets out

Comment

• No good-sounding & comfortable over-ear phones will give you the amount of passive noise cancelling like you get with in-ears. If you want maximum isolation, choose in-ears.
                  I have the Shure SE215, also for a-kit practice and live gigs. They have their flaws, soundwise, but in terms of isolation, they are amazing. On my a-kit, I need to use a spare ambience mic to hear the cymbals... but I'm using them with custom silicone tips (made by Custom Art Poland from my imprints), the original tips might have less isolation, though.
                  I know the AT50, 50x, M40 & M40x really well, have owned a couple over the years, they're good for recording but no isolation champs.
                  Last edited by sascha; 02-21-20, 07:26 AM.
                  gear: MarkDrum YES e-kit highly modified (low-volume trigger cymbals, 16" DIY kick, 12" DIY snare + tom 3, Goedrum HH controller), Triggera 10" splash
                  band: http://theboardmusic.com

Comment

• Even with IEM's, it's mostly about the tip and the seal. The JVC spirals for instance are good tips overall but don't have enough isolation for me. The default tips on the SE215's had decent isolation but again, not enough. I'm using some comply tips with my IEM's and when they are new they do a good enough job, but after some weeks of usage when they soften up they don't seal as well. I would like to try out some over-the-ear headphones just to see if I prefer how they sound, but I'm overly annoyed by stick sound leaking through so it's a tough dilemma. Maybe I could only use the headphones with playalongs, when isolation is not as important. Still got to try the QC 25's active cancellation but I'm quite skeptical if it works as well as people claim.

Comment

• With my SE215, I'm using these silicone tips. Only takes a walk to the audiologist of your choice, and then it was quite cheap overall for a great seal and comfort fit:
                      https://thecustomart.com/shop/silico...cone-earplugs/
                      gear: MarkDrum YES e-kit highly modified (low-volume trigger cymbals, 16" DIY kick, 12" DIY snare + tom 3, Goedrum HH controller), Triggera 10" splash

Comment

• Originally posted by sascha View Post
                        With my SE215, I'm using these silicone tips. Only takes a walk to the audiologist of your choice, and then it was quite cheap overall for a great seal and comfort fit:
                        https://thecustomart.com/shop/silico...cone-earplugs/
                        Those are blueprints for custom earplugs. Did you mean to link the custom-iem-tips page?

Comment

• Erm... yes, sorry, couldn't find it

Comment

• Thanks, might have some customs made.

Comment

• As the owner of Sony MDR7506 headphones, I would say that these areexcellent studio-quality headphones with amazing sound quality. What I also found cool about them that they’re easily compacted, therefore great for travelling. The design is fairly good. Maybe one of the cons is that they get warm on ears pretty quickly, but despite that, the headband is fairly comfortable.

Comment

Working...
                              X