Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

The Products forum is for product discussion & advice. Please do not ask technical questions. Topics posted incorrectly will be deleted.
See more
See less

Official Discussion Topic: Headphones

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official Discussion Topic: Headphones

This is a really common question on this forum so why don't we just make one thread where we all post our favorite headphones.

I like the Shure E4's IEMs. My second favorite is the Sony MDR-V900
    Sony MDR-7506 or MDR-7509
    15.70%
    Sony V series
    2.57%
    Shure In-ear monitors (IEM)
    8.11%
    Other brands of IEMs
    4.89%
    AKG 240
    7.08%
    other AKG
    3.99%
    Beringer (any)
    1.16%
    Beyerdynamic
    9.40%
    Bose
    7.46%
    Other
    40.03%

I have IEM ES2 from Westone and i like them A LOT.
    They were recommended by a Professor from the University of Gent after a tinitus problem.
    A to E Pacific/TD30

Comment

Budget consciuos - I've never, ever heard better than the Audio Technica ATH-M30's for the price (around 40 in the UK, unsure about the US).

For 'Pro' headphones - BeyerDynamic. DT770 (closed) or DT990 (open) for a natural, transparent sound, or the DT150's for a more closed-in sound with exta LF rumble.

Comment

Originally posted by flurbs
        Budget consciuos - I've never, ever heard better than the Audio Technica ATH-M30's for the price (around 40 in the UK, unsure about the US).
        Yes Sir!!! Bought mine for $49.99 and love them. The Studio I record in uses them and I thought they were great. Best $50 pair out there, better than a lot of $100+ pairs out there (IMO).

Hmmm... How many posts does this give me?

Comment

Sticky Headphone Thread

On Canerican's request I made this a sticky thread.... there have been so many ..... what are the best headphones for Vdrums? .... questions.... and so many threads.... seems a good idea to have a thread readily available without using the search engine... J
          I could tell you where to stick that piezo! ;)
          Stealthdrums.com Mega Kit: Pearl Mimic Pro ,2Box modules,drums and cymbals too many to count. VST quality sounds directly from the Mimic and custom sounds loaded into and played directly from the 2Box modules. Visit me anytime at: http://stealthdrums.com/

Comment

Bose rated

For comfort, noise cancelling (you can't hear your sticks on that ride cymbal) and sheer quality, albeit pricey, the Mk2 Bose Noise Cancelling are superb. You can even have them on trial for 30 days just about anywhere in the world !
            TD10 Expanded TDW-1, Vex Vault Kits, PD125BK, PD80R, PD8, 2xPD9's, CY15R, CY14Cx2, CY12C, CY8, KD85, VH11, Janus Transmission HH7500 Double Pedal System, SPD-S, SPD-20, MDS-12, Laney Theatre Amp, Bose N/R HeadPhones, Roland RH200 & Beyer Phones.

Comment

Originally posted by JmanWord
              On Canerican's request I made this a sticky thread.... there have been so many ..... what are the best headphones for Vdrums? .... questions.... and so many threads.... seems a good idea to have a thread readily available without using the search engine... J
              I think it's a great idea...I've been on the fence for months buying a new pair...waiting for a great deal on the Sony 7506's... but still shopping
              chris :D

Comment

Originally posted by bogiesbad
                I think it's a great idea...I've been on the fence for months buying a new pair...waiting for a great deal on the Sony 7506's... but still shopping
                I saw a pair go for 21$ on eBay before christmas. I have said it once I'll say it again, try IEM's they are IMO (better say IMO or I may get flamed ) but they are great. I would encourage you to look into them. I have no invested interest in Shure or Westone, I just know how happy I am with them, so I figure that others would also be happy.

Comment

I would like to emphasize that specific terminology by the person asking the question is quite important.

I think one of the reasons for so many headphone discussion threads, other than new users not being aware of the previous ones and that they can be located with the search feature, is that many of the initial topic questions are basically similar - but DO differ by asking "which are the (fill in the blank: best - most popular - favorite - etc) headphones?".

The responses aren't always the same. I feel one particular set (Sony MDR-7506, for example) may not be the BEST, but it may be the best VALUE that provides excellent overall performance. Thus, their popularity and a favorite by many - including myself.

In addition, a particular set that may be the "best" for hobbyist playing may not necessarily be the "best" for live play or recording.

For example, the initial post by Canerican referred to "one thread where we all post our FAVORITE headphones", but that doesn't necessarily mean it would be the BEST ones or ones preferred for certain uses.

Therefore, I only think it proper for any potential buyer to consider several factors besides just what works for others or what they use - without specifying the application, what is preferred by someone else, or, overall, what the specific criteria is (value versus performance considering a budget) for determining which headphones to purchase.
                  Hart Pro 6.4 (Hammered Chrome), Roland TD-8, Gibraltar Throne w/ Backrest, Tama Iron Cobra Bass Pedal, ALTEC A7-500 "Voice of the Theatre" Speaker/Horn System with Sunn Concert Slave amp and lot of other audio stuff, Sony MDR-7506 Headphones, Zildjian DipSticks - and Czech Skorpian, Heckler & Koch MP5, etc Submachine Guns to stick out the window behind my kit for some quite unique fills...

Comment

I use Sennheiser HD-212Pro's when I have to drum with headphones (I generally don't use them, because my get tired after an hour or so). They're not the sturdiest, but have a very nice bass response and good isolation. I also do some DJ work, and I can hear with them fine even through loud music. I think my first pair I got for 20 bucks off eBay, but Guitar Center sells them for around $60.

Comment

Makes sense to me Grey, in the case the Sony's are the best all-around IMO.

Comment

This is the never ending topic... I have read many of the hundreds of posts on the headphone issues and through them I see three that appear would satisfy my needs and budget...as for the IEM's Jeff, I have always had trouble with ear buds, cellphone headsets and even clip type earphones...I don't feel comfortable with any of those and am hesitant about spending the cash...besides the IEM's I'd have to get more batteries for my ear hair trimmer ... just wait till YOU get OLD

My local GC has the 7506's for $99 and I think they have the AKG's as well. Prolly buy in the next few days and then I'll cast my vote
                        chris :D

Comment

Personally, I think I changed my mind about 7506's they are still good but I was blown away by the AKG's sound when I tred them today... go for it...!

Comment

Originally posted by Canerican
                            Personally, I think I changed my mind about 7506's they are still good but I was blown away by the AKG's sound when I tred them today... go for it...!
                            You never know until you try side-by-side, no matter what the most popular choice on an internet forum is. There is no guarantee that anybody responding really did their homework, and if they did, there is no guarantee that you wouldn't choose something else in comparison.

| Argos | Your Cloud | Lost In Germany | Life Wasted | Identity Crisis
                            | The Xerophyte | Red Barchetta | Subdivisions or Drums Only |

Superior Drummer w/ Metal Foundry, dfhS samples and Platinum Samples Evil Drums.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe_K
                              You never know until you try side-by-side, no matter what the most popular choice on an internet forum is. There is no guarantee that anybody responding really did their homework, and if they did, there is no guarantee that you wouldn't choose something else in comparison.
                              That's the trouble with asking people their opinion. There are so many options for headphones, who really knows which is the best best. Not every headphone is functional to every person... People have different sonic ranges etc..

Comment

Working...
                              X