Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Simple question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simple question

I'm not very techno savvy and do not have a fluent vocab to the e-music industry. Guitar Center's employees responded to the following question as "huh???"

I want to make a demo of myself and email it as an MP3 attachment to somebody. What do I need to do? Can I even do this?

Thanks a million for your time!
    VPRO set, DW5000 double pedal, Tama Iron Cobra, KD-120 & KD-7, KC-500 monitor.

If I try and understand your question in the most basic form, I would say your answer is yes. If you are just trying to record yourelf playing drums, you can record yourself and then e-mail it in MP3 form to someone else. There are many MANY different ways to do this. The easist way would be take a program like caskwalk (just an option there are a lot to choose from) and record yourself by pluging your drums into you sound card. After you have recorded your track save it (or convert it) as an MP3. This is really just one simple way to do it. A lot of these programs are free to download. You might have to explain things a little better, like what you have to play with (equip), what do you want for the final result.....things like that and we might be able to help a little better.
    :rolleyes:

Comment

My equipment = A VPRO Kit and a new Gateway PC. Exactly how do I plug my drums into my computer? Once plugged in... what's the next step...etc.
      I do not currently have anything recorded. I want to learn how to record it, save it and send it. I wonder why the manual doesn't give any hints on this sorta thing.

Again, thanks a million for your time!

Comment

Originally posted by jparsons:
        I wonder why the manual doesn't give any hints on this sorta thing.
        Sorry but the manual is chock-full of 'hints'.

Bury yourself in Chapter 10 and when 'sequencers'(hint) are discussed substitute your 'pc'(hint) & associated 'sequencer'(hint) software.

Comment

You'll need some basic home recording software. Cakewalk sells a stripped down home recording version for $50-$80 depending on how hard you shop (I've seen it for $49 at Micro Center). With that and a soundcard with a mic or midi input you should be able to record yourself playing your v-drums, save the file and convert it to MP3 format. You may need separate software to convert your sound file (WAV file) to MP3, but maybe not depending on the recording software you use. Its not that hard, so give it a try. Get a flashlight and look on the back of your computer at your sound card to see what kind of input jacks it has (Or your manual may even provide this information). There is probably a headphone or audio out jack (the one that goes to the speakers if you have them), at least one mic input jack and probably a MIDI input jack as well. Run an audio cable from your drum module to the mic input (probably 1/4" at the drum module and RCA at the sound card)or from the MIDI out of the drum module to the MIDI in of the sound card. I use only audio outputs and inputs, but some people on this forum swear by MIDI. Some people at music stores don't know anything about anything, but I have found the people in the sound recording section at most SAMASH stores reasonably knowledgeable and not just pushing the most expensive solution to everything (don't let them sell you a stand alone ADAT recorder for $1,000 unless you are sure that's what you need).

Comment

Originally posted by Marc.:
            Sorry but the manual is chock-full of 'hints'.

Bury yourself in Chapter 10 and when 'sequencers'(hint) are discussed substitute your 'pc'(hint) & associated 'sequencer'(hint) software.

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying. In fact... I'm positive I don't know what the heck you just said... But I will bury myself in Chapter 10 and try to figure it out.

Thanks!

------------------

Comment

Thanks Bagman!

I really appreciate you taking the time to give me that info. I'll start from there!

PEACE.

Comment

Originally posted by jparsons:
                I'm not sure I understand what you are saying. In fact... I'm positive I don't know what the heck you just said...
                I'm confident once you understand Chapter 10, it will all come to focus. However, if you're brand new to MIDI, I suggest Paul White's Basic MIDI as a primer.

Good Luck!
                -Marc.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc.:
                  I'm confident once you understand Chapter 10, it will all come to focus. However, if you're brand new to MIDI, I suggest Paul White's Basic MIDI as a primer.

Good Luck!
                  -Marc.

Marc, thanks! I just bought that book on DoubleDiscount.com for $3.98. I was able to read some excerpts of it on Amazon.com. I'm learning, thanks to the nice folks here in this discussion board. You guys are great!

Peace!

Comment

Check out this Vdrum.com post: http://www.vdrums.com/discussion/For...ML/000085.html

E-mail me and I will discuss what I have done so far. I think it is what you are looking for.

------------------
                    TD-8, TD-7, Roland rack, Pintech AX14, ConcertCast and Roland PD-9/7/5 pads, Yamaha and Pintech cymbals, Dingbat, Nimrod, Vertikik & KD-7, FD-7 , DrumKat DK-10, Fender Bassman 60.......2000 Eclipse GS
                    I'm a drummer. I don't play the timpani! Hire a percussionist!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X