Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Club Kit (TD/CY/PD/FD-6) review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Club Kit (TD/CY/PD/FD-6) review

I had the chance today to sit down and demo the new Club Kit and have a good look at the manual for about 45 minutes today, and I'll get right to the point: this set kicks ass! It's not just "good for the money", it's good, period. I'll try to hit on some of the main features while my memory's still fresh:

First of all, the CY-6 cymbal pads are just as good (and cheaper, of course) than the CY-14s. If anyone out there is planning on getting the CY-14s, DON'T do it until you've had a chance to try out the CY-6s. The striking surface is identical, as are the choke function, trigger quality, mounting hardware, and dual-trigger capability. I had planned on purchasing the CY-14s myself, but the CY-6s are now at the top of my list. Don't let the appearance of the pads fool you; they're sturdy.

The rack, however, is not. But we all know that Gibraltar rules, so that's kind of a moot point to me!

The PD-6 pads are basically just single-trigger PD-7s (although they're actually 8" in diameter). They look cool and work like a charm. The mounting hardware is the same as that used on the PD-80s.

It might interest some of you to know that I actually preferred the FD-6 hi-hat controller to the FD-7. It seemed to have a more natural throw to it (the absence of that annoying, friction-producing rod probably had something to do with that), and I think the guys out there that like the older Yamaha hi-hat controller will really dig this one, too.

The TD-6 module is blue. And you know what? Who gives a ****. It's a good piece of gear. Based on everything it can do for the price, I wouldn't care if it was shaped like a pink pyramid. The TD-6 is essentially a clone of the TD-8 module in just about every respect. Harlock (cheers to you, man) put out a rather lengthy post a while back detailing some of the differences between the TD-6 and the TD-8, so I won't tread over old ground there, but I do want to make one point emphatically clear: the kits and sounds are editable using basically the same available parameters as found on the older TD-7 module. No, there are no V-editable sounds, but that didn't strike me as that big of a deal all things considered. As far as the number, type, and quality of the sounds in the TD-6, if you've got the TD-8, then you've heard every damn one of them--they're about 99% identical. The module control layout, although it appears quite basic, is actually quite deep and user-friendly. It took me about two minutes to figure it out. Also, the preset kits on the TD-6 struck me as being more usable out of the box than the ones on the TD-8. It's even got alternating pan, which to me is one of the coolest features of the TD-8. Now if you're one of those players that needs a multiple-output module like some of us need sex, then the TD-6 is definitely not for you. Otherwise, A+.

(On a side note: for those of you out there that have *****ed on this site about the headphone outputs not being loud enough on the TD-8/10, rest assured that you will not have that problem with the TD-6. I gave it "the test" and....well....let's just say my balls are still unshriveling....)

And, lastly, the manual. Simple yet detailed, and quite a bit thicker than you might expect. One extremely noteworthy feature of the manual was (listen up, newbies!) a page showing all the recommended trigger settings for all the different types of Roland pads with the TD-6, including the CY cymbal pads. Nice touch, Roland.....

So there you have it. Is this a kit that is meant for serious audiophile-MIDI-techno-gearhead junkies? Absolutely not. But it is a kit that I wouldn't be the least bit afraid to use live or for recording purposes (without the Roland rack, of course). If anyone on this site has a chance to check the Club Kit out and hasn't done so, do yourself a favor and give it a test drive. I think you'll be pleasantly shocked. If anyone out there has any specific questions regarding anything I haven't covered on this, feel free to post or e-mail me. I'd be happy to help.

P.S.: Step aside DTXpress, you just got wasted.

Cheers!

Mick

[This message has been edited by Mick Wade (edited June 07, 2001).]
    TD-30 / SPD-SX

Great review Mick.
    Andy
    TD-20, Pair of JBL-Eon15 G2's & Sub

Check out the demo tracks to hear my V's at

http://www.thebrokenangelband.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by Mick Wade:
      It's even got alternating pan, which to me is one of the coolest features of the TD-8. Mick

What is alternating pan? Does the sound float back and forth as you're playing?
      Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

Originally hosted by Boingo:
        What is alternating pan? Does the sound float back and forth as you're playing?
        Maybe one day when Dolby Surround panning is standard on all musical instruments
        This one use left and right, so it goes from the left to the right when playing I guess.

Good review indeed! Thanks
        Music was my first love...

Comment

If anyone out there has any specific questions regarding anything I haven't covered on this, feel free to post or e-mail me.
          Mick,

Thanks for the great review. I've been looking to try out this kit but it's not yet available at our local GC. Does the snare input on the TD-6 support positional sensing as with the TD-8/TD-10 modules?

Thanks again,
          Doug

Roland TD-12, Pearl DRX-1 tom and snare pads, Roland PD-8 pads for cymbals, DW pedals and stands, Pearl and Gibraltar hardware

Comment

Alternating pan is where you play a pad and the sound alternates from the left speaker then the right speaker (If you have that pad in a stereo mix!!). It's really cool for HH.

To use it, pan an input hard right, then one more and you'll see 'ALT'. That's alternating pan. One more and you'll see '?' which is a random pan, which could be good for crashes or FX.

Schmunk

------------------
            TD-8, Pintech pads, Pearl rack, PM-3, Behringer 802 mixer and DSP1400 UltraMizer
            TD-8, Pintech pads, Pearl rack, Mackie SRM-450, Behringer 802 mixer and DSP1400 UltraMizer, Electric Sticks.

Comment

Originally posted by Schmunk:
              Alternating pan is where you play a pad and the sound alternates from the left speaker then the right speaker (If you have that pad in a stereo mix!!). It's really cool for HH.
              I always play for an audience that drunk too much. So: not to be recommended.
              Robert

Comment

Thanks for the compliments, fellas. I appreciate it. Glad I could help.

DougM, regarding your question about the positional sensing: I didn't detect anything in the roughly 30 kits I played or in the manual that indicated there was any positional sensing capability. The dynamic control was certainly there, though. I have to mention something really weird along these lines: one of the sales guys at the music store told me that he had played the kit before I got there, and he was talking about the "velocity-switching feature on the CY-6 cymbals". I asked him exactly what he meant, and he said "If you hit the cymbal softly, you'll get a bow sound, and if you play it a little harder and closer to the bell, you'll get a bell sound." I was a little skeptical about that, mainly because I knew going in that the CY-6 pads had bow and edge triggers only. Well, using a 5B stick, factory settings, a fairly tame stroke, and being careful that I didn't hit the edge of the cymbal, I was able to exactly duplicate what he had described. I freaked! Quite honestly, I've gotten better results so far using the CY-6 as a ride than the CY-15R! I don't really have an explanation for what happened other than it did. Is this a glitch of some kind? Maybe. But I will say this without reservation: unless the 2" larger diameter and white underside with the V-drum logo means something to you, you'd be crazy to buy the CY-14s ($245.00) over the 6s ($95.00). In all relevant performance aspects, they're the same product. Personally, I like the look of the CY-6s better, anyway....

Schmunk's definition of "alternating pan" was correct. The sound alternately pans hard left and right with each successive hit of the pad. Way cool. It works great in songs with bass drum quarter-note ostinatos. Try it on China-type sounds, too....
                TD-30 / SPD-SX

Comment

Can the pad inputs send on more than one channel? Are there any layering, crossfading or alternate modes ? How about sequence control?
                  Drumkat Turbo 4.5, Emulator X3, Superior 2.1, Roland Fantom XR, DTXtreme III, SPD-20 etc.......

Comment

... he was talking about the "velocity-switching feature on the CY-6 cymbals". I asked him exactly what he meant, and he said "If you hit the cymbal softly, you'll get a bow sound, and if you play it a little harder and closer to the bell, you'll get a bell sound." ...
                    The TD10 rides have two bell choices. One is RdB which plays the bell only, no matter how hard you hit it. The other is RdX. The RdX does what you are talking about. Play it lightly and you get a ride cymbal. Hit harder and you get the bell. Of course you have to set the ride pad to the RdX (not the rim) to fully realize what I'm talking about. I discovered this when I first got the TD10 but never could get it to suit my style/velocity of playing (the bell would sound when I didn't intend it to).

I use the RdX all the time when I set the bell sound on the rim of the PD-9 as it allows you to add some variation to playing the bell.

Now that I think about it, I suppose I could play with the trigger settings to make it more suited to my playing style/velocity. If successful, that would allow a 3 zone ride without shelling out $$ for v-cymbals. Funny I don't recall any threads discussing this feature. (I think you have to set the pad for positional sensing to do this).

[This message has been edited by Boingo (edited June 08, 2001).]
                    Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

Originally posted by jrcel:
                      Can the pad inputs send on more than one channel? Are there any layering, crossfading or alternate modes ? How about sequence control?
                      Hey, jrcel:

If I'm understanding your first question correctly, no. The TD-6 has left and right master outs only. There are no secondary or auxiliary outputs.

Crossfading: could you please clarify for me your definition of that term? I've seen it used interchangeably with "velocity-switching" quite often, and I just want to make sure I'm on the same page as you. For the record, my understanding of the term "velocity-switching" is that one sound becomes another (usually of a similar type) based upon the amount of striking force exerted on the drum pad, synth key, etc. If this is what you're referring to, then see below for my reply to Boingo......

I hate to sound ignorant, but I'm afraid I'll also need a definition of "alternate modes".

Sequencer control: the TD-6 functions identically to the TD-8 in this respect, but that can be a blessing or a curse depending on how infatuated you are with the General MIDI format, which I, unfortunately, am not. To elaborate on that point, perhaps an explanation of my rig is in order: the heart of my rack is my Alesis DataDisk MIDI librarian/sequencer, which I use to store and play back all my programmed sequences with via 3.5" floppy. It runs MIDI In to my Peavey MIDI Master II 8X8 patchbay, which allows me to route the sequencer notes and commands to my TD-8, an Alesis D-4, a Yamaha TMX, an E-mu Proteus FX synth module, Roland XP-30 and Juno-2 synthesizers, and a DigiTech Studio Quad V2 effects unit. These are all connected to MIDI outputs on the patchbay. The TD-8 is also plugged MIDI In into the patchbay, and the MIDI Master allows output merging, so this enables me to have simultaneous control over the D-4 and TMX by way of the V-drums and/or the DataDisk. When I first started programming sequences, the unit I was using was an outboard 4-track device. Since the drums are the most important part of any music , I assigned all drum-related parts and commands to channel 1, and this is the channel that my three drum modules and my DigiTech unit receive on. The first thing that appears on any of my sequences are the necessary program change commands, so when I start a song--presto--all the kits are automatically in line and putting forth the proper sounds assigned to the corresponding sequencer notes. Yes, I know, this is MIDI 101, but the TD-6 and TD-8 will not accept program change commands and MIDI Note commands simultaneously on user-assigned MIDI channels! They will do one or the other, but not both, whereas my D-4 and TMX will. You could play either of those units from pads and have them be controlled by a sequencer at the same time. In order to use the TD-6/8 as a MIDI sound module, you must place it in "Soft Thru" mode, which disengages Program Change command reception. Conversely, if you want to have your sequencer call up your kit in this fashion, you'll have to turn off Soft Thru, which means that the TD-6/8 sounds can no longer be triggered by the sequencer. Needless to say, this creates problems in the live performance department. So in order to get manual- and sequencer-controlled drum sounds, my own personal click track, and sounds that I can route out to an outboard effects unit on a per-pad, per-kit basis, I have to use three drum modules. And this, my friends, sucks. Is there a way around this? Yes. And that's where the General MIDI deal comes in. For those who don't already know, all GM scores have the drums assigned to MIDI channel 10, so that kind of screws me as far as my current sequences are concerned. And on top of that, the TD-6/8 will not allow the drum kit and percussion set to share the same MIDI channel.The bottom line is this: if you want to use the TD6/8 as a sequencer-controlled drum kit and MIDI sound module, you'll have to program the necessary information on two separate tracks. Dumb.....

Hi, Boingo:

Your reference to the "RdX" sound was interesting, because I seem to remember seeing several sounds in the TD-6 manual marked with an "X". I RTFTD-8M and noticed that these same "RdX" sounds are available on the TD-8, and based on my demo results with the TD-6, it would seem that it has them also! Honestly, I was not expecting such a feature on the TD-6. I guess a cool module just got cooler! Thanks for pointing that out to me.......
                      TD-30 / SPD-SX

Comment

I tried the Club kit today for a brief sit. It was everything Mick said, except one problem...the cymbals didn't choke.****June 14 Note: see below!

I'll add that I preferred the Club's smaller cymbals to the ones that came with the Sessions.

DJourg

[This message has been edited by DJourg (edited June 14, 2001).]

Comment

Hey, DJourg:

It's weird that you didn't get any kind of choke function from the CY-6 cymbals; I didn't have any of those problems myself when I demoed it. I apologize if I'm insulting your intelligence, but that big semicircular "lip" on the underside of the CY-6 is what you're supposed to grab to engage the choke. Maybe the modules were set up differently or something?.....
                          TD-30 / SPD-SX

Comment

Hey all!! I am back!! I am real interested in this Club Kit. This is the first I have heard about it. Mick, thats a real good review you wrote, thanks for taking the time to do that. Can you tell me what you are seeing as a price on these.
                            I sold my expanded V Pros in January. Its been a big mistake.I think sometimes in our musical careers we all sell a piece of gear that we wish we had not have sold....that was certainly my error. well, I am looking into starting from scratch. No recording, will only use my acoustics for my band gigs. So, this will basically be a rehearsal kit for me....How much!!!
                            Roland V-Pro TD20 expanded with V Expressions
                            Presonus Firepod
                            Reaper
                            Acoustic- Spaun drums, Dunnett snare & Paiste Signature Series Cymbals.

Comment

Hey , STEVE GARDNER !!! So did you buy and sell an Extreme too......nice to see ya around again!

Welcome back....

------------------
                              ~REDMAN~
                              ~REDMAN~

Comment

Working...
                              X