Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mesh and rubber pads in same set?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesh and rubber pads in same set?

Hello all,

putting together my first e-set and was thinking of the following, wanted all your folks opinions:

V-Club set with the following add on's
    120 dual trigger as snare
    new hi-hat cymbal pad from roland
    larger gibralter rack
    use leftover pads as toms
    figures out to be $1900.

Now my question as the subject header says, what about the feel of the mesh snare then going to the rubber pads as toms, will that really screw up my playing?

Jon V.

I use an AX14 Pintech as my snare and my toms are all PD-9's. I really like the set-up. I use my snare probably 90% of the time anyway!!!

------------------
    TD-8, TD-7, Roland rack, Pintech AX14, ConcertCast and Roland PD-9/7/5 pads, Yamaha and Pintech cymbals, Dingbat, Nimrod, Vertikik & KD-7, FD-7 , DrumKat DK-10, Fender Bassman 60.......2000 Eclipse GS
    I'm a drummer. I don't play the timpani! Hire a percussionist!!!

Comment

I've been eyeing a very similar setup for myself in the near future. Just wondering why you're looking to pick up a Gibralter rack right off the bat?

I've been pouring over the boards the last week or two, and it certainly sounds like a better rack, but I wasn't thinking of getting one until space or stability became an issue.

I'm also up in the air as to what to use for a hi-hat. I'm not looking to get my kit until xmas time, so I'd love to hear how you like the roland one.
      -Pete

Comment

The Roland racks suck. The clamps suck, the rack isn't as sturdy as the Gibraltar rack. I know from experience. And the Gibralta rack is chromed!!
        "I'm not a guitarist, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night!"

Comment

I would not go as far as saying the Roland rack and clamps suck but I will say I like my Gibraltar rack better. Although there is a price for the Gibraltar rack and that price is time. My set up time has doubled if not tripled with the gibraltar rack. With the pro rack I left all the cables and tom arms on the rack all the time just unfold and added cymbal arms(which I had already converted to gibraltar multi clamps) I had to switch for room in the van and rack. As my drum set got bigger the pro rack did not cut it. I also am not to thrilled about the curved racks, move pad left or right end up move pad foward or back also. A cheap route may be to get some sound percusion multi clamps(about $10 or under each) and put them on the Roland rack. Also you may have to dampen the Gibraltar rack to reduce cross talk, not a big deal do a search for rack dampening.

------------------
          Ted H.
          www.tocsinrocks.com
          Ted H.

Comment

Originally posted by jonvan:
            Now my question as the subject header says, what about the feel of the mesh snare then going to the rubber pads as toms, will that really screw up my playing?

Jon V.
            First I played all rubber pads, later I trade the snare pad for a pd-120.I played with mesh snare an 4 rubber pads as toms for over one year. Combining the mesh and the rubber pads didn't affect my playing at all. I was very pleased with the mesh-snare.

After saving money for over the last year I bougth two pd-100 en two pd-120 for the toms. My playing is more relaxed now beceause the toms are bigger than the pd7 pads I was used to.

------------------
            My bands: Meneer Van Zanten and The Shed (sorry, both in Dutch but you can see the pictures, videoclips and listen to our songs)

Comment

Working...
            X