Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

CY6 dual triggering with Yamaha PCY80

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CY6 dual triggering with Yamaha PCY80

I know these dual triggering questions always wind up delving into the FSR/piezo discussion. Before responding, I know the difference and don't need an explaination. So that aside, onward with my question.

I haven't had a chance to check out the CY6 pads yet but I was wondering how large the effective striking area of the 'bow' is?

He's my deal. I want to do a split with the yamaha single zone pad, which I use to trigger only the main sound (or the equivalent 'bell' sound on the cy6). What I need is a pad with a large FSR area, so I can use it as the complement to the yamaha, without worrying about accidentally triggering the main sound.

I have tried this with the yamaha dual zone pad and it works, but the rim portion of the dual zone yamaha pad (the fsr area) is a bit finicky, and I sometimes get a weak response or the main sound response if I don't hit it, and have it positioned just right.

So basically, I am looking for a pad with a large FSR 'sweet spot'. The other new Roland cybols seemed to have a FSR response, but I am not too thrilled about shelling out 200+ for a pad that I will basically use as a complement to the yamahas.

If the cy6's don't have it, (the large FSR sweet spot that is) does anyone know of any, home built or otherwise?

John

That's kinda tricky to answer because the CY-6s diameter is rather small. The triangular rubber striking area cuts the fsr area to roughly a 30% wedge, but this is pretty much the entire area that most cymbal strikes would normally occur in anyway. Nevertheless, small cymbal=lack of real estate, and it is divided into two zones. For what it is worth, I think the edge band is a little wider than on the bigger V-cymbals, if you want to use that as a reference point, but because the cymbal is smaller, it is a push really. I angle mine at an angle and height where a relatively natural strike has the stick finding the edge at a slightly closed angle. To hit the bow, I have to make a little extra effort to raise my arm and slightly arch my wrist to attack that area. Set up this way, I very rarely if ever trigger the wrong sound, but I do not use them for any ride or precise type stuff. I use mine exclusively for splash, small crash, sizzle type cymbal sounds, (and in one case as a china). BTW, there is a dual-fsr pole pad out there that has some interesting applications and gives no crosstalk.

Comment

Working...
    X