Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm a little bit "ascared"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dr. kildrum
    Guest replied
    Originally posted by egadd:
    ...maybe someday I'll get over it and buy some Roland E-drums ....I hope that happens "after" Roland fixes these problems.
    The anodized aluminum rack on the Session kit is very substantial (albeit ugly). It is thicker than the other Roland pieces I have compared and the Yamaha for sure. It is almost as thick as my Gibraltar, but much lighter in weight. I imagine this is why it is so much better at negating crosstalk. I have had it long enough and tested it sufficiently now to speculate that it appears more than sufficient for the 5 mesh V-pads, 5 V-cymbals, 2 CY-6s, 2 Yamaha pads, 2 bar pads and 3 modules I have hanging on it. It sets up and breaks down and travels with negligible fuss. And it is has supported acoustic cymbals in trials without a hitch as well.

As for the clamps, I have all "hatched" clamps (of the Roland clamps I have) and none have failed yet. However, they just don't look and can't possibly be as strong and durable as my Gibraltar clamps. If one ever fails, I will replace those that are not Gibraltar with Gibraltar (if not before). For now, they work fine and again are lighter (not as big a deal). But I'm not convinced on these. As for the older Roland clamps, I don't think I've heard too many people argue they aren't crap.

Bottom line, I wouldn't be surprised to see Roland offer different configs of the newer rack pipe (hopefully in black or dare I suggest it...chrome). The ribs are a great idea, and the construction of this version is just the job for e's. There is plenty of strength and stability (it is rock solid and would appear cabable of holding more that I can fit in the space given) but it is lighter than most chrome racks and inhibits crosstalk. I was skeptical, but am becoming a believer (that doesn't apply to the clamps though).

Leave a comment:

• dr. kildrum
    Guest replied
    ...maybe someday I'll get over it and buy some Roland E-drums ....I hope that happens "after" Roland fixes these problems.
    The anodized aluminum rack on the Session kit is very substantial (albeit ugly). It is thicker than the other Roland pieces I have compared and the Yamaha for sure. It is almost as thick as my Gibraltar, but much lighter in weight. I imagine this is why it is so much better at negating crosstalk. I have it long enough and tested it sufficiently now to speculate that it appears more than sufficient for 5 mesh pads, 5 V-cymbals, 2 CY-6s, 2 Yamaha pads, two bar pads and 3 modules I have hanging on it. It sets up and breaks down and travels with negligible fuss. And it is has supported acoustic cymbals in trials without a hitch as well.

I have all "hatched" clamps (of the Roland clamps I have) and none have failed yet. They just don't look and can't possibly be as strong and durable as my Gibraltar clamps. If one ever fails, I will replace those that are not Gibraltar with Gibraltar (if not before). For now, they work fine and again are lighter (not as big a deal).

Bottom line, I wouldn't be surprised to see Roland offer different configs of the newer rack pipe (hopefully in black or dare I suggest it...chrome). The ribs are a great idea, and the construction of this version is just the job for e's. There is plenty of strength and stability (it is rock solid and would appear cabable of holding more that I can fit in the space given) but it is lighter than most chrome racks and inhibits crosstalk. I was skeptical, but am becoming a believer (that doesn't apply to the clamps though).

Leave a comment:

• egadd
    replied
    Alexander thanks for your response ...I'm thinking Roland should invest in Gibraltar if so many people are switching from their product to Gibraltar's product. It burns me ...maybe someday I'll get over it and buy some Roland E-drums ....I hope that happens "after" Roland fixes these problems.
    Egadd

Originally posted by Alexander:
    Hey Egadd. You should invest in a Gibraltar 350C or 350GC, regardless of what kind of (A or E) Drums you'll play. @ $250?, it'll last a lifetime, assuming you clean & dust it once a month (I'm an Oreck vacuuming fan).

Leave a comment:

• egadd
    replied
    Thanks for the feedback Steveo. Well, create the market or not, they just lost a chance at getting a new buyer ...I was looking at the "Club Set" (Td-6) ...again, a nice product -except for the rack ...I'm sorry ...even if it's just out of principal -I'm not buying something like that if the "whole package" isn't there. So because they won't spend a few bucks on re-designing their racks (and/or because I'm stubborn) ...they just lost another sale they could've had. It's just not right to "accept/allow" this kind of crap to go on. They wouldn't be were they are today if it weren't for them making other great products AND customers recognizing that fact and buying them. The customer aspect of it HAS to be there ...it's their life-blood.
    Egadd

Originally posted by Steveo the Devo:
    Not likely.
    Years ago (when I was a lad), we all *****ed about the poor rack and clamps, it was one of the biggest bugbears that us 'olbies' had about the V-drums. When they bought out the V-custom (TD-8) set they had merely created a scaled down version of the TD-10 (V-Pro) rack - same problems as before.
    I guess when you are a HUGE multinational corporation you can do whatever you like! After all, they 'create' the market rather than be driven by it! (or so they think)

Leave a comment:

• Alexander
    replied
    Hey Egadd. You should invest in a Gibraltar 350C or 350GC, regardless of what kind of (A or E) Drums you'll play. @ $250?, it'll last a lifetime, assuming you clean & dust it once a month (I'm an Oreck vacuuming fan).

------------------
    Thanx!
    -Alex

Leave a comment:

• Steveo the Devo
    replied
    Are you reading this Roland????
    Not likely.
    Years ago (when I was a lad), we all *****ed about the poor rack and clamps, it was one of the biggest bugbears that us 'olbies' had about the V-drums. When they bought out the V-custom (TD-8) set they had merely created a scaled down version of the TD-10 (V-Pro) rack - same problems as before.
    I guess when you are a HUGE multinational corporation you can do whatever you like! After all, they 'create' the market rather than be driven by it! (or so they think)

Leave a comment:

• egadd
    replied
    Originally posted by klp:

Have you tried duct tape?
    Well, I've decided (over a month ago) that I'm not going to get the TD-8's ...I let them go ...my friend sold them within a week to someone else. They were a good price ...but even at that good price, I don't want to buy a product that doesn't have all/most of it's components working properly. There are just too many stories out there about the rack clamps.
    Roland should take heed (should've a long time ago with this many complaints) and redesigned their rack within the first year or two. Why do I want to spend that kind of money on a Td-8 setup -only to go out and buy a Gibraltar rack with clamps because the Roland one is garbage? If they can't get it together, then they should contract that part of the product out to Gibraltar.
    When I buy something, I expect it to work (all of it) -regardless of the price. If I didn't buy the TD-8's at the great price that was offered to me, then I'm sure not going to buy them brand new from a store at close to twice the price I could've bought them at.
    Are you reading this Roland????

Leave a comment:

• klp
    replied
    Originally posted by Pleiadian:
    I guess my trying to fix the clamp with superglue was a bit naive. It felt pretty solid and firm, but it instantly broke again once the clamp was back on the rack...

Experiment failed

[This message has been edited by Pleiadian (edited September 26, 2001).]

Have you tried duct tape?

Leave a comment:

• Pleiadian
    replied
    I guess my trying to fix the clamp with superglue was a bit naive. It felt pretty solid and firm, but it instantly broke again once the clamp was back on the rack...

Experiment failed

[This message has been edited by Pleiadian (edited September 26, 2001).]

Leave a comment:

• Pleiadian
    replied
    Originally posted by Oz DrumR:
    Roland admit to clamp problem.

Below is an excerpt from a fax ...
    Thanks Oz. I've contacted the music store, they called Roland Roland want to look at it first, before sending a replacement.

I think I'm eventually going to replace all clamps with metal dixon clamps. I don't see how they are ever going to break...

Leave a comment:

• Oz DrumR
    replied
    I stand corrected. The clamp holding my PD-80R snare just broke. I've never adjusted or (re)moved since I got my v-custom one year ago. Not funny

What's the warranty one these things?

Rob
    Roland admit to clamp problem.

Below is an excerpt from a fax I have received from Roland Australia (though, given the standard of English, I suspect it may have been translated . . . from Japanese?! - if any of you have problems with clamps, or Roland say that they haven't heard of the problem, this may be of use:

Service Information

QFA-A01-B03 Issued by RJA. Date:2000/12/07 Information Number101338

Model: MDH-7U, MDY-7U, TD-8K, MDS 7U/8/10

Subject: HOLDER USED IN THE MDH-7U AND MDY-7U CRACKS WHEN FASTENED TO A STAND.

[SYMPTOM]

The holder to fasten MDH-7U or MDY-7U to a stand may crack when screw the knob. #The holder of which strength is not enough had mixed into the product for some term.

[CHANGE MODIFICATION]

Enforced the strength check at the factory and changed the mould to avoid the re-occurrence of the problem.

Refer to the following figures for the identification. A dot is added to the point indicated:

(here, there is a diagram - if the clamp was on the cross bar, with the split facing you - the circles would be just above the split at the left and right hand side of the clamp. . . . anyway, one of these circles, either the left or the right now has a dot in - on the new clamps).

[PARTS]

SU000010 - - - - Holder

[EFFECTIVE]

MDY-7U: Red or brown sticker is affixed to the tag
    MDH-7U: Red or brown sticker is affixed to the tag
    MDS-7U/8/10: Red or Orange round sticker is affixed to the outer packaging box.
    TD-8K: S/No. ZN88850 up (From September 2000 Production)

[SERVICE RESPONSE]

When you meet a claim, please replace the holder to the new one.

That's all folks! . . of and if you need a copy of all the complaints on vdrums.com - I have a word doc I can email you - just in case they say "we have never heard of this problem - as they did to me first time around!"

Leave a comment:

• Pleiadian
    replied
    Personally... I have no complaints about the quality of the pads, clamps or rack.
    Rob
    I stand corrected. The clamp holding my PD-80R snare just broke. I've never adjusted or (re)moved since I got my v-custom one year ago. Not funny

What's the warranty one these things?

Rob

Leave a comment:

• skp
    replied
    egadd i find myself in the same position as you.

i also want to buy an electronic kit to play w/ my computer using logic and value the ability to play into it live on a kit as opposed to writing tracks on a keyboard.

the real reason to buy vdrums for me, however, is that i'll be able to play 24/7 on a kit (i'm looking to buy the vcustom) that feels and sounds better than decent.

the biggest issue for me is price and setup. i don't need all 3 PD-80 pads for toms, just one. and same thing w/ the PD-7 triggers, i only need two of those. by cutting down on the extra pads i sustain what functionality i need and cut down cost.

i'm interested in what setup you finally chose (if you've gone ahead and bought your friend's kit) and if you're using all the pads you bought (if not would you consider selling them? 2 PD-7s and 1 PD-80)

thanks and happy searching

--> shiv <--

[This message has been edited by skp (edited September 05, 2001).]

Leave a comment:

• egadd
    replied
    Originally posted by Tom Berry:
    Ed,
    I do the exact same thing on the same song. except I have a td10. Its been a while since I've played the v's out (been doing hand percussion gigs) but I think I set things up like this.
    I have two different percussion patterns. One for the intro & chorus, and one for the verses. I start the songs by pushing the play button on the td10 which gives me an 8 count before the pattern starts. Then I have a pad assigned - strike the head it starts the pattern, hit it again it stops. Strike the rim it starts the other pattern, strike again it stops. Of course if either pattern is playing striking the other rim/head will stop the first pattern and begin the other. All this goes through my Mackie 12 channel mixer. Click goes out its own output into its on channel on the mixer.
    Backing percussion goes out its own output to its own channel on the mixer. Stereo out for the main drum kits into the mixer. I don't know if you can do that on the td8 but thats how mine works. I think!
    Tom
    Thanks Tom
    That's kind of funny that you do the exact same thing with the exact same tune. At least I know it can be done. The one problem with the td-8 is: I think it only has 4 o/p's and a headphone out. I wouldn't be using a 12 channel mixer ...I'd pretty much be controlling the mix from the brain and sending a stereo out to the board -and another send to my monitor/amplifier -and use the headphones when I had to follow a click. The rest of the band could get a monitor feed of the vdrums.
    I still have some concerns about how the hi-hat interacts -with only 3 positions and every time I've played these vdrums, there always seems to be a polyphony problem with a quick shot (or shots) to an open hit-hat -then closing it very quickly. Sometimes it gets it, and sometimes it doesn't. Even these demos that are online here in some ways sound great to me, but in others, sound terrible to me. For instance the rolls at the beginning of the RolandVdrumsDemoJazz.mp3 and the RolandVdrumsDemoRock.mp3 sound pretty bad (electronic) to me ...and the hi-hat in the rock song sounds pretty awful to me as well (one "partially open" setting) -the cymbals don't sound too great either for that matter.
    But for the most part the vdrums do sound pretty cool ...I'm just not sure if the technology is there yet (especially for the money) -but it's a lot closer than it was 4 yrs ago.
    Thanks again Tom

Leave a comment:

• Tom Berry
    replied
    Ed,
    I do the exact same thing on the same song. except I have a td10. Its been a while since I've played the v's out (been doing hand percussion gigs) but I think I set things up like this.
    I have two different percussion patterns. One for the intro & chorus, and one for the verses. I start the songs by pushing the play button on the td10 which gives me an 8 count before the pattern starts. Then I have a pad assigned - strike the head it starts the pattern, hit it again it stops. Strike the rim it starts the other pattern, strike again it stops. Of course if either pattern is playing striking the other rim/head will stop the first pattern and begin the other. All this goes through my Mackie 12 channel mixer. Click goes out its own output into its on channel on the mixer.
    Backing percussion goes out its own output to its own channel on the mixer. Stereo out for the main drum kits into the mixer. I don't know if you can do that on the td8 but thats how mine works. I think!
    Tom

Leave a comment:

Working...
X