Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

WHATS THE BEST E CYMBAL SET UP OUT THERE USING ALL BRANDS IF NESSESARY?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WHATS THE BEST E CYMBAL SET UP OUT THERE USING ALL BRANDS IF NESSESARY?

IF you could hand pick the best hihat ride and crash e cymbals available, using any and all brands what would they be? And please.. just because you own a certain brand doesnt meen its the best and just because you sell a certain brand, dont lie to push product.

Hart.... once you play them, you'll know why.

------------------
    szvook
    Studio

Comment

Originally posted by svibe:
      IF you could hand pick the best hihat ride and crash e cymbals available, using any and all brands what would they be?
      I did exactly that. I am not aware of a major manufacturer (and only a few minor) that I did not demo their gear with multiple modules (some at length i.e. several days or weeks at my studio.)

IMO, if you are most interested in a close approximation to the look and feel of an acoustic cymbal, Hart is a good way to go. However, also MHO, the V-cymbals offer the best overall response and subtleties bar none. You will have to be willing to adapt your style slightly (albeit far less so than most e alternatives out there), but the performance is unrivaled at this time.

The one possible exception is that the hi-hat is even more of a tactile (and visual) adjustment. It performs well, and there are few if any much better alternatives, but it takes a bit more getting used to. I wasn't convinced at first, but love it now. Your mileage, as always, may vary.

There is currently not another e-cymbal I have played that I would sub for the V-ride or hi-hat. Several brands would do for crashes, because the exacting response is not as crucial, (I have two CY-6s which are smaller price point cousins to the other CYs and I use them for splash type cymbals) but you are not talking budget. If Roland made smaller full blown V-cymbals, I would buy a couple up but I am pushed for space as it is.

I continue to try new stuff however, and if someone builds a better mousetrap tomorrow, I will be interested. I just finished extensive testing resulting in replacing all the heads on the mesh drums for instance, and now use two different brands (one not available for sale yet), and three different feel/playability augmentation methods.

One final qualification: There is still no e substitute for acoustic cymbals. Just as with the drums themselves, they are a different instrument. You may be able to trigger superb professional samples that cannot be distinguished from acoustics at times, but any one cymbal will not (yet) have the diversity of sounds and subtle nuances of the acoustic counterpart for complete emulation. If you can accept that, then what is most important is feel (subjective) and the ability of the cymbal to translate faithfully the complexities of your input in triggering your chosen sounds as best your module/sampler will allow. These are the only criteria I used. Price, advertising, and aesthics were, (to the extent possible) ignored.

Comment

Roland's V-Cymbals in first place, followed by Hart, Visu-Lite and Yamaha in joint second.
        The Roland's have the best performance, as kildrum said. These just feel best, and trigger superbly, especially in conjunction with a TD-10 + TDW-1 with V-Cymbal Control. The Harts and Visu-Lites are quite nice, but very loud, so if you pracice in an apartment these aren't for you. The Yamaha PCY80 pads feel cymbal-ish in that they display the same inertia, but tend to wobble from side to side a bit, I noticed. Something you can get used to, though. What I like most about them is that the bell pad (PCY-10, I think?) fits right on top, creating a triple-zone cymbal. Extra input needed, though.
        All this goes for e-cymbals, I'm yet to find an e-HiHat I like.

My personal pick would be:
        Ride: Roland V-Ride
        Crashes, etc: Roland V-Cymbals
        HiHat: Roland PD-9.

Stu
        "Fry that sound effect, Moriarty, we're having it for breakfast"

Comment

Originally posted by mcconaghy:
          ...especially in conjunction with a TD-10 + TDW-1 with V-Cymbal Control...
          Yes, important point. My comments only apply to this setup. Without the TDW-1 (which only goes in a TD-10), the distinction between the V-cymbals and the others mentioned is far less.

Comment

Originally posted by mcconaghy:
            Ride: Roland V-Ride
            Crashes, etc: Roland V-Cymbals
            HiHat: Roland PD-9.
            Same here, except I'm using a PD-7 for hi-hat. It may be noisy, but at least it can properly track a double-stroke roll, unlike my CY-14 which is now sitting on the floor.

Now if only Roland would offer the v-cymbals in a variety of sizes, ala Visu-Lite. 8", 10", 12", 14", 16", 18", and 20" would be nice.
            Roland TD-20 v1.08, various v-drums and v-cymbals, Yamaha KP65's, Axis pedals, Gibraltar hardware, Mackie 1202/SRM450 (pre-china)

Comment

if "best" means getting the most for your money, Hart E-Cymbals all the way....a third of the cost of the Rolands...

A lot of the E-Cymbal set depends on the module....as far as playablity though, the Harts are great with the aquarian springs, and my only complaint is the loud hi hat, pretty annoying...

Comment

Originally posted by ufotofu:
                ...unlike my CY-14 which is now sitting on the floor.
                I'd be interested in it, e-mail me if you will consider making me a deal.

Comment

Whoops, I meant to say CY-12. I still love my CY-14's.
                  Roland TD-20 v1.08, various v-drums and v-cymbals, Yamaha KP65's, Axis pedals, Gibraltar hardware, Mackie 1202/SRM450 (pre-china)

Comment

Hart Dynamics, all the way. Just look at these babies:

My Hart Dynamics GigaPro (vintage 1999)

Comment

Originally posted by ufotofu:
                      Whoops, I meant to say CY-12. I still love my CY-14's.
                      I knew that was what you meant. I'm interested in the CY-12 doorstop actually. I didn't even notice you said 14. Interested in clearing that space on the floor?

Comment

Originally posted by dr. kildrum:
                        Interested in clearing that space on the floor?
                        Sure, I'll email you tomorrow.

Comment

IMHO the ECymbal II's come as close to acoustic cymbals as possible. They look "real" and the feel is good. (I use them for the splash and 14" crash only - the rest are CY's).

The dynamics are the BEST with the CY's (but you need a TD-10 with the V-Cymbal exp board) - This is a MUST, otherwise don't even bother with the CY's.

This works for me (and I'm pretty picky):
                          (1) ECymbal II 12" crash (high left)
                          (1) ECymbal II splash (between tom 1 and 2)
                          (1) Roland CY14 14" crash (high right)
                          (1) Roland CY15R (low right)
                          I also have a China (far right) and a 2nd splash (far left) - but no inputs left.
                          (Still deciding between adding another module or a the octapad pad/trigger setup.)

I also have (2) PD-80 (8" mesh pads) to the left of tom 1 (for picollo toms), and a 2nd KD-7 kick.

BTW- This the same setup I had (acoustically) when I was a session drummer and I played virtually every style imaginable - and it never let me down. Once you have this arsenal in front of you just practice, practice, practice - you will be amazed at the style which you develop with this setup - believe me.
                          TD-10/TDW-1vc, 3-PD120, 2-PD100, 2-PD80, 2-KD7, 3-14C, 2-15R, SPD-20, 2-ECymbal II splash, 1-ECymbal II china, 2-IronCobra kicks, 1 angry ex-wife.

:eek: " I see drum people"

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by dr. kildrum:
                            I just finished extensive testing resulting in replacing all the heads on the mesh drums for instance, and now use two different brands (one not available for sale yet), and three different feel/playability augmentation methods..
                            BTW I read your reply and must compliment you on your thinking. You are exactly right in my opinion. It sounds like you are a former acoustic drummer like me and would go to any length to achieve the acoustic feel and nuance of the former "skins" but like me appreciate all the edrum's capabilities enough to make the switch.

I originally chose the edrum's for studio work - I got tired of the cross-talk, bleedthrough on the tracks, and the mic-ing probs with the acoustic set. (my first e-kit was a Simmons SDS-9 I bought in 1989 - was never happy with it - and I acually lost a lot of my feel and style - so I went back to acoustic, kept my acoustic till this year when I bought the V-Session.

How do you have the drum heads setup? Are you using the HART KS Series? I would love to get the full feel of acoustics again.

Could you help me with some overall suggestions?

TD-10/TDW-1vc, 3-PD120, 2-PD100, 2-PD80, 2-KD7, 3-14C, 2-15R, SPD-20, 2-ECymbal II splash, 1-ECymbal II china, 2-IronCobra kicks, 1 angry ex-wife.

:eek: " I see drum people"

Comment

Wow, I didnt think Id get so many replys this quickly. Iv tested those new roland cymbals and got the feel for what there all about. My biggest question now is, How loud are the hart ecymbals, Iv never played or seen them in real life only pictures. I currently have the hart series X all the way around (they came with the kit) are the hart ecymbals louder than the series X. I would think that one of the main benefits of vdrums are quiet practice and here they have the cymbals made of metal like real cymbals. Also anyone ever try those pintech cymbals the ones that are black and shaped like a real cymbal and have that gold colored trigger area on top, are they any good for the money, there cheap as hell to buy.

Comment

Working...
                              X