Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Damn, motu 828!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Damn, motu 828!

    anyone try the new motu 828?

    I have a Mac laptop and am looking for a way to seperate audio tracks from the TD-10 to the laptop. This may be the ticket, and REALLY would appreciate hearing how it interacts with the TD-10.

    Thanks,

    Spark

  • #2
    It will probably interact fine with your TD-10, the same as any high quality multi channel audio interface. The question is if it will interact good with your Mac.
    Music was my first love...

    Comment


    • #3
      My keyboarder has one on order, should be arriving beginning of the week, I'll let you know about the stability issues on the Mac (we'll be using it on a 400 Mhz G3 Powerbook under OS 9.1)

      Stu
      "Fry that sound effect, Moriarty, we're having it for breakfast"

      Comment


      • #4
        Stu,
        Thanks, I would apppeciate that. My setup is basically the same as your keyboardist's. Will you also be using it with a td-10?

        Spark

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by spark:
          Stu,
          Thanks, I would apppeciate that. My setup is basically the same as your keyboardist's. Will you also be using it with a td-10?

          Spark

          I probably will. It's nothing but a multi-channel audio interface, so there shouldn't be any problems with the TD-10. I'd be more worried about system stability. It should be pretty speedy thanks to the Firewire interface.

          Stu
          "Fry that sound effect, Moriarty, we're having it for breakfast"

          Comment


          • #6
            Hi Folks,

            I didn't see a follow-up to this old thread, but I'm curious how many V-drummers are using the MOTU 828 firewire I/O box. I have read good things about it.

            I'm thinking of getting an iBook and the MOTU 828 for my own portable digital audio workstation. However, I have a question about the lack of MIDI port on the MOTU 828. Would I be able to use a separate USB interface to record the V's (via USB/MIDI) and other instruments (via firewire/audio inputs) at the same time? I realize that the software that comes bundled with the MOTU 828 doesn't handle MIDI, but I already have a download of Pro Tools Free to handle MIDI on the software side.

            Is anyone out there using separate audio and MIDI interfaces for real-time recording, or is this impossible?

            Comment


            • #7
              i would also be interested to know .. i was just checking out the motu site tonight, doing pretty much the exact same research.

              my other concern is whether or not a standard laptopt hard disk (4200 rpm, > 8.9ms seek) is fast enough to really do the job? most recording systems suggest at least a 7200rpm disk ....

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by K-Chuck:
                Hi Folks,

                I didn't see a follow-up to this old thread, but I'm curious how many V-drummers are using the MOTU 828 firewire I/O box. I have read good things about it.

                I'm thinking of getting an iBook and the MOTU 828 for my own portable digital audio workstation. However, I have a question about the lack of MIDI port on the MOTU 828. Would I be able to use a separate USB interface to record the V's (via USB/MIDI) and other instruments (via firewire/audio inputs) at the same time? I realize that the software that comes bundled with the MOTU 828 doesn't handle MIDI, but I already have a download of Pro Tools Free to handle MIDI on the software side.

                Is anyone out there using separate audio and MIDI interfaces for real-time recording, or is this impossible?

                K-Chuck,
                You can use a USB MIDI interface in conjunction with the 828, that's no problem. The MOTU interfaces are great, so are the Emagic interfaces.As for software, MOTU's Digital Performer handles audio and MIDI, so do Logic and Cubase. The bundled AudioDesk software handles only audio, no MIDI.

                Digitsone,
                A standard laptop hard disk is way too slow for any type of hard disk recording. You need a hard disk with at least 7200 rpm.

                Stu
                "Fry that sound effect, Moriarty, we're having it for breakfast"

                Comment


                • #9
                  Thanks for taking the time to respond, mcconaghy. digitsone's question was on my mind after I posted. I didn't realize a laptop's disk speed was that slow. There probably is a firewire external hard drive available that's fast enough. I just wonder if the throughput would be adequate when chaining together the MOTU and the hard drive on laptops (like the iBook) that have only 1 firewire port.

                  As far as I know, the MOTU 828 is the only firewire I/O box. Are there others that anyone knows about? Also--correct me if I'm mistaken--I think I read that somebody manufactures a PCI-to-firewire converter (or it might have been PCI-to-USB). I may have been dreaming, or smoking too much crack, or inhaling an abundance of paint thinner, etc.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by K-Chuck:
                    Thanks for taking the time to respond, mcconaghy. digitsone's question was on my mind after I posted. I didn't realize a laptop's disk speed was that slow. There probably is a firewire external hard drive available that's fast enough. I just wonder if the throughput would be adequate when chaining together the MOTU and the hard drive on laptops (like the iBook) that have only 1 firewire port.

                    As far as I know, the MOTU 828 is the only firewire I/O box. Are there others that anyone knows about? Also--correct me if I'm mistaken--I think I read that somebody manufactures a PCI-to-firewire converter (or it might have been PCI-to-USB). I may have been dreaming, or smoking too much crack, or inhaling an abundance of paint thinner, etc.
                    You can daisy-chain firewire devices, that's no problem. If you get a firewire drive, get a Glyph drive, it's optimized for audio applications and the drives are mighty fast.
                    The 828 is currently the only firewire audio interface, maybe there'll be more, but I haven't heard of any.

                    Stu

                    "Fry that sound effect, Moriarty, we're having it for breakfast"

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      i am pretty sure motu has the only firewire interface. there are rumors of a digi001 firewire interface coming out soon, but no official word.

                      i just searched on "motu 828 firewire hard drive" and this came up:
                      http://www.wavedigital.com/images/pr...es/microPC.jpg

                      pretty cool little box! still would need that external dsk, though.

                      anyone ever heard of a 7200rpm or greater laptop disk? i haven't seen any around.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        After doing some searching at the Harmony Central discussion boards using keyword "firewire", I found this very helpful little link:

                        http://www.mhlabs.com/mobileio/mio_comparison.html

                        It looks like there are currently three firewire box manufacturers: MOTU, Crest, and Mobile. MOTU isn't the only game in town, but is the only player at that price point.
                        Thanks again, Stu, for the tip on the Glyph drives.


                        [This message has been edited by K-Chuck (edited October 14, 2001).]

                        [This message has been edited by K-Chuck (edited October 14, 2001).]

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          How 'bout http://www.audiomidi.com/hardware/maudio/lagoon/ ?

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X