Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

vdrums cheap/second hand in UK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vdrums cheap/second hand in UK

I am looking at getting a set of edrums but as usual with me I don't think I would be satisfied with the TD-8 set as there are not enough features. My other problem is finantial constraints (Actually I could probably stretch to the price of a new full TD-10 kit but feel it hard to justify)
    Does anyone know anywere in the uk I could look for a second hand kit based on the TD-10
    or maybe a website based in uk that can get them cheaper than the £3700 I have been qouted in two shops so far(Around £3000 would not be too bad but nearly £4000 is getting a bit high)

Cheers

Donít know of any second hand web sites etc but you could browse loot I have seen a few for sale their http://www.loot.com

I would also look at some of the German music sites I saved almost £400 by buying my TD10 module from one of them. http://www.musicstorekoeln.de/ http://www.musicians-gear.com/
    are two sites I have used. You pay German tax so there is no import duty.
    This site maybe helpful for converting euro's to £ http://mwprices.ft.com/custom/ft-com...currency-front

Also UK sites where you can buy online/compare prices are http://footesmusic.com/ http://www.wembleydrumcentre.com/wembleyDrum/

Hope this helps

[This message has been edited by Daveb (edited October 02, 2001).]

Comment

Thanks

Keep them coming

Comment

Originally posted by mark.king:
        ...I don't think I would be satisfied with the TD-8 set as there are not enough features...
        Welcome aboard Mark.

Don't write the TD-8 off too soon! There is much discussion on this board about "which is better - TD-10exp or TD-8?" Read up - the differences aren't quite as big as you may think. Also, don't assume that because 10 is higher than 8, you're getting a FAR superior model. I was lucky enough to be in your position financially (in that I could have afforded td-10exp or td-8) and I went for the td-8 for several reasons.

I'm not trying to push you one way or another, but as the TD-8 (or TD-6)is cheaper, it may be more 'justifiable' and allow you to spend on say some outboard gear, or extra triggers to give you more 'features'.

Give us an idea as to what features you'd like out of a set of e-drums, and I'm sure we'll be able to give you some other options to considder - many of the guys here use other products and hybrids.

As for price - there are some european stores that will beat UK prices, however, you must think about after-sale service. I had to go back to the store three times after the initial purchase . . . sure would have been hard had I bought them from Germany (which I nearly did) and brought them back to Oz. Some of the guys around here have had some good deals in the uk - you might want to use the search and put in a 'pound sign' (sorry, I don't have one on my keyboard!).

Good luck with your searching.

By the way, where abouts are you in Bradford, and what do you do there - that was my old stomping ground before moving out to australia a couple of years ago! I'm moving back in December.
        Andy
        TD-20, Pair of JBL-Eon15 G2's & Sub

Check out the demo tracks to hear my V's at

http://www.thebrokenangelband.co.uk/

Comment

I live at Horton Bank Top in Bradford and work in Leeds for a big company on cisco routers/switches.

The music I play in the band I am in requires some odd sounds which benefit from wierd effects. I use cubase a lot and have got use to being able to do all sorts with the sounds which I could do afterwards but mostly the emphasis would be on playing the drums live so I would need to get the right sounds.

I suppose most of the time I would be using stock sounds but the TD-8 only has ambience.
          Does this mean reverb? Can the return level be set for each sound individually or is it a blanket level.

Can a double bass drum pedal be used with the small pad that comes with this kit?

How deep can you go editing the sounds?

I am suprised at the cost of the modules as other roland instruments are a lot cheaper and have more features.

Thanks for the help.

Comment

Er . . . Svook . . . .???!!!

I can't answer all your questions, but hang around and others will.

Ambience = reverb (sort of - or in my eyes!)

Double kick on the KD-80 (stock TD8 kick pad) is not a problem, many here use it for that purpose.

Basically, there are two types of sound: 'V' sounds: typically these are 'traditional' drums - kicks, snares, toms etc. These V sounds can be edited quite extensively. The non 'V' sounds have much more limited editing options - ie. pitch & delay (If I remember correctly). Then there's editing that can be applied to the kit as a whole - others can talk better on that (I don't have the manual to hand).

It may well be that the TD-8 isn't for you, however, I'm sure that if you give some specific examples of the particular sounds you're after, or genre you're playing - the other guys here will be able to help you out!

Sorry I've not been of much use!

Andy
            Andy

Comment

With reverb I would like to be able to have different amounts on different instruments.

I would say have a bit on snare and toms, none on bass drum and maybe a lot more on a pair of congas.

As far as editing sounds is there eq for individual sounds and what about pitch bend.
              I notice the ddrum kit you can press the pad on certain sounds for pitch bend. Is this possible on TD-8/10

Sorry for all the questions

Comment

I suppose most of the time I would be using stock sounds but the TD-8 only has ambience.
                Does this mean reverb? Can the return level be set for each sound individually or is it a blanket level.
                The ambience effect is in fact the reverberation produced from the room type you chose i.e.: bathroom, studio, gym, locker, cave and so on. Each room will have its own resonating effect from the simulated material of the rooms. Then the wall type: wood, glass and plaster give you the warmth effect. Then selecting the size of the rooms from small to medium to large (thus increasing the size of the effect) can increase the depth of the effect. Lastly, the gain of the effect can be adjusted per sound, but only if the sounds are routed to master outs. Direct outs will not give you the ability to tweak the effects or EQ; they will not be available by default (itís in the manual).

So yes, you can control the amount of ambience per sound.

IMHO, the best way to have an assortment of effects per sound like the kick, snare, toms and cymbals is to get an outboard dual stereo effects processor and run the kick, snare, toms and cymbals through it in mono. Thus having 4 channels of individual/deferent effects per sound(s) for all outputs from the TD-8 (if you are using an outboard mixer).

------------------
                szvook
                Studio

Comment

Thanks for the info. As long as you can set individual sends then that is ok.

As soon as I get chance I am going to audition the TD-8/10 and ddrum4. I am on
                  a course in london for a week from the 15th so I should be able to find a store that has the lot.

Comment

...what about pitch bend. I notice the ddrum kit you can press the pad on certain sounds for pitch bend. Is this possible on TD-8/10
                    On the TD-10 the hi-hat pedal can control pitch bend on any/all of the drums if you choose to set up a kit that way.

Comment

As soon as I get chance I am going to audition the TD-8/10 and ddrum4. I am on
                      a course in london for a week from the 15th so I should be able to find a store that has the lot.
                      Wembley drum centre or Pro Percussion should both have good stocks

Comment

Have you tried Carlsbro in Leeds (It might be called 'Academy of Sound' these days . . out on the York road).

One of the yorkshire guys on here said that they had quite a display of e-drums and PA's to play them through.

May be worth a trip.

Also, Scheerers (sp!) in Leeds stocks e-drums.

Happy hunting, let us know how you go!

Oh, and Pitch bend is available on the TD-8 also, for certain instruments.
                        Andy

Comment

I will try academy of sound. I have been to shearers. They only have a TD-8 and you can't get the sjhop guy off it.

I have been to sound control(just off wellington steeet and they have the td-8/10/6
                          What I need to try is the ddrum4.

I also feel a bit awkward when I have been in the shop for an hour and are still trying things out.

I am the type of person who will not buy until I have worked out all the features I think are essential to me and then found a product that comes the closest.

I fear that this may leed to the td-10 which I can not afford at this moment. Knowing myself I could buy the td-8 but may then wish I had waited/saved up for the td-10.

Comment

Hi, I live in South Leeds, I'm selling the following as a set:

1 Roland TD-8 module
                            4 Pintech CST 10" mesh-head pads
                            1 Pintech 14" Snare pad
                            5 Pintech TC cymbal pads (14"-18")
                            1 Roland KD-7 kick trigger
                            1 Roland FD-7 hi-hat controller
                            1 Pearl DR-80 rack
                            7 rack clamps
                            3 boom mounts
                            4 tom mounts
                            1 snare stand
                            All wires needed for connection

The TD-8, FD-7 and snare pad are all less than a year old and have been used very little...

buy me, buy me.....

Schmunk

[email protected]

------------------
                            TD-8, Pintech pads, Pearl rack, PM-3, Behringer 802 mixer and DSP1400 UltraMizer, Electric Sticks.
                            TD-8, Pintech pads, Pearl rack, Mackie SRM-450, Behringer 802 mixer and DSP1400 UltraMizer, Electric Sticks.

Comment

I will try academy of sound. I have been to shearers. They only have a TD-8 and you can't get the sjhop guy off it...
                              I also feel a bit awkward when I have been in the shop for an hour and are still trying things out.
                              Kick the guy off, he is there to sell you stuff. The drums are on display for you. Get past feeling awkward. A music shop worth it's salt will bear with you and let you demo until you can make an informed decision. (Hanging out there every weekend and playing their floor models is abuse of such a policy and the chief reason that many music shops aren't as tolerant as they could be.) Barring that, demo, try, tweak and demo some more. (I have spent over a day just auditioning pedals, dragging them over to pad, switching out with another, even "tuning" the head differently in the process. Now I am lucky to have some good relationships with local shops. Cultivate some if you can.)

I am the type of person who will not buy until I have worked out all the features I think are essential to me and then found a product that comes the closest.
                              That's an excellent strategy. Nothing to be tentative about IMO.

Comment

Working...
                              X