Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Fed up with rack... Tom stands any good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fed up with rack... Tom stands any good?

I've got one of the cheap black Pearl racks (I think it's a DR-80), which is perfectly sturdy, but it's quite a pain to rig/derig for gigs/practices in different venues, mainly because it won't fold flat due to the size of the clamps, so to transport it I need to take it apart with an allen (hex) key.

So... I was thinking of getting a couple of double-tom stands (tama or yamaha seem to do these) and a couple of cymbal boom-stands instead. Does anybody here do this already? Any thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks a lot for any help you can give me

Schmunk

------------------
    TD-8, Pintech pads, Pearl rack, PM-3, Behringer 802 mixer and DSP1400 UltraMizer, Electric Sticks.
    TD-8, Pintech pads, Pearl rack, Mackie SRM-450, Behringer 802 mixer and DSP1400 UltraMizer, Electric Sticks.

I agree with Harlock, stands are great, but only if you can fix a good solution for cable management.
    The Tama stands will work perfectly, they have an L-rod diameter of 10.5 mm. DW stands won't, as their L-rod diameters are too large (12.5 mm).

Stu
    "Fry that sound effect, Moriarty, we're having it for breakfast"

Comment

I HATE my rack!! I wish I would have never went that route. I wouldn't think pad cables would be any more a problem than mic cables, they're just always there. Snake em' up.

I wonder what ever happened to that guy who was supposedly developing a wireless system that was going to be a cure-all for the spaghetti from hell syndrome????

Oh, and that Jim from Baltimore guy too????

Comment

I have a cheap black Pearl rack as well and for using it at home I'm quite happy with it. I don't gig a lot(eeeeeh never...) with my own drums so I haven't been facing the problems you described.

If this rack wouldn't satisfy me I'd probably buy a Pearl DR-500 ICON rack. Those racks rock!
        Music was my first love...

Comment

Originally posted by BtnkBndt:
          I HATE my rack!! I wish I would have never went that route. I wouldn't think pad cables would be any more a problem than mic cables, they're just always there. Snake em' up.

I wonder what ever happened to that guy who was supposedly developing a wireless system that was going to be a cure-all for the spaghetti from hell syndrome????

Oh, and that Jim from Baltimore guy too????
          I sent Jim an email a few weeks ago about his pads and mesh heads, and am yet to hear back from him. Maybe he left the business, whiuch would be sad, since he really had something nice going there...

Stu
          "Fry that sound effect, Moriarty, we're having it for breakfast"

Comment

I have a Gibraltar rack that I'm *very* happy with. Cables are no problem. My TD-8 is on the upper left sidearm, to the left of the hi-hat. I bought a roll of velcro "tape" (hooks on one side, fuzzy on the other), routed the cables along the rack bars, and wrapped the cables periodacally to the bars with the velcro. I use a foam tube (pipe insulator) about 8" long to cover the cluster of cables going into the brain (again wrapped with velcro).

This set-up is really neat and a breeze to set up and dismantle. I unplug cables from pads and brain, remove the pads and brain from the rack, fold down 3 cymbal arms, and then simply fold the side arms of the rack in towards the middle. Gibraltar clamps have a nice big "T" handle to make loosening them easy. I raise the right sidearm about 3" before folding it in, and the whole rack with clamps and cables is at most 12" wide. I usually remove the bottom legs (helps to slide the rack into the back seat of a car) but they can be folded inward also. Because the clamps and cables are all in place, set-up is very fast. And, the rack is quite compact when folded!

Comment

I use two boom cymbal stands each with one of those tripod-like holder clamps attached. I put a Gibralter tom-holder and boom cymbal arm on each clamp. It works pretty well in providing me with a smaller 4-piece set-up for those smaller rooms. Yes, cable management takes a little more effort but it's not that difficult to come up with a workable solution.

Comment

I use a Gibralter curved rack with Yamaha 800 series stands and it is rock solid. Here are some pictures they are a little far off but maybe you can get the idea .I have never use the Roland racks they don't look very road worhty too me.
                http://www.geocities.com/zekedrum/Mark_s_drum_Page.html

Comment

Working...
                X