Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Need help deciding which brand to go with

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help deciding which brand to go with

I am interested in purchasing an electric kit but do not know anything about the different brands. What info can I get to compare the different brands? How does Pintech Silenttech compare to the V-drums? How long can I expect an electric set to last? What is my best option if I want to spend a total of around $2,500 or even less? Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Garett

Hey Garett,

Welcome to the jungle.

You already know how much you want to spend, so here's a few more questions to ask yourself:

1.What are you going to do with your e-drums? Record? Perform? Practice?

2.Which module will you use? {yes,
    there's more than one, and from more than one manufacturer} Are you looking for realistic sounds or more synthesized effects? Sequencing? Sampling? Onboard effects?

3.Are there noise considerations? Will you be playing at a rehearsal space? Apartment? Basement? Madison Square Garden?

4.What pads will you use? How important is feel? Can you use rubber pads? Mesh or real heads? Is triggering an acoustic kit an option?

5.How many inputs do you need?

These are just a few of the questions you should be asking yourself. How you answer those questions will determine what setup is best for you.

The best advice I can give is RESEARCH, RESEARCH, and MORE RESEARCH. Then DEMO, DEMO, DEMO. There is an abundance of information here at v-drums.com and over at ddrums.com. All you gotta do is use the SEARCH function. These guys have used every piece of electronic drum related equipment known to man. Some of them even know how to play! You have a lot of options out there, figuring out what you expect of e-drums is the first step. Don't expect this to be a quick process. It took me almost eight months to figure out what equipment would fit my needs and budget, plus another two months to actually get the stuff {it was worth the wait}.

Good luck and welcome to the insanity!

Johnny

P.S. Earlier I said DEMO,DEMO,DEMO. The only problem is, the major stores usually only stock V-drums and sometimes Yamaha stuff. Erik at SEPdrums.com has a new try before you buy program than can be useful for the other brands {Ddrum, Pintech, Hart Dynamics, Alesis, etc.). He can answer a lot of your questions too.

Comment

Well johnrox, you said it all and you said it well. In fact, you said it so well I deleted my post - we were responding at the same time.

The only thing I might add is, don't get hung up on a particular brand. Give them all a fair evaluation. And when you're done evaluating, remember this (he,he,he)...

Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

Here's another question for you, in addition to the questions johnrox asked, will you be using acoustic cymbals, or do you want to use electronic cymbals?
        There are a lot of options on the market today, the only way to really find out what you want/need it to demo whatever you can get your hands on.

Stu

[This message has been edited by mcconaghy (edited September 04, 2001).]
        "Fry that sound effect, Moriarty, we're having it for breakfast"

Comment

Originally posted by mcconaghy:
          will you be using acoustic cymbals, or do you want to use electronic cymbals?
          ACOUSTIC CYMBALS ARE WHERE IT IS AT!
          DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME ON ANYTHING ELSE

Steve

'I only ever quote myself - except when I quote someone else' - me

, plenty of , and , , triggered acoustics, , and a plethora of PA blah blah freakin blah...I mean does anyone care about the specifics of pedals, speakers, processors, hardware or anything that I'm using?? :confused: Hmmm, maybe this is an appropriate place to mention that I tried out a new cymbal stand the other day...

Comment

Hey, I don't use a single acoustic cymbal in my set anymore, my wife converted them all to chandeliers!!!!!

Jokes aside, the music I play calls for electronic cymbal sounds, so I have no need for acoustics, unless I decide to dig out my acoustic set.

Just to throw in another company to confuse the poor guy who asked which he should buy: Boom Theory. Acoustic looking pads, and a very nice module. www.boomtheory.com
            Of course, mixing brands can be budget-friendly and work just as well.

Stu
            "Fry that sound effect, Moriarty, we're having it for breakfast"

Comment

Originally posted by Boingo:
              The only thing I might add is, don't get hung up on a particular brand. Give them all a fair evaluation. And when you're done evaluating, remember this (he,he,he)...

LOL
              Music was my first love...

Comment

I used to play Roland, now I play ddrum.

They are the most realistic (that's what I wanted).

Listen to some MP3 of my kit at www.tobiavalos.com

Good luck!!
                to v or not to v?

Comment

Working...
                X