Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Roland TD10 or anything else out there has fast Trigger to MIDI conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roland TD10 or anything else out there has fast Trigger to MIDI conversion

Hi,
    I trigger my drums with Pentach triggers and Alesis DM5 for years with no problems. Now I want to use the Purrfect drums on gigasampler sounds. I now notice that even though DM5 will play its internal sounds with very little latency, the trigger to MIDI out conversion is erratic, and slow.

I confirmed that it's the DM5's fault by playing the Gigasampler sounds through my Triton and it responds to its MIDI notes just fine.

I want to see what other modules can give me what I'm looking for ? Does anyone know if Alesis has fixed it in the DMPro ? TD10 maybe ?

thanks
    Haniel Trisna
    Owner, Engineer
    Trisna Productions Studio
    tproductions.com

The Roland modules are pretty quick when it comes to triggering other MIDI sources, I'd assume the DM Pro is likewise. The latency I'm experiencing when triggering an Akai S1000 through my TD-10ex is neglectable, i.e. as short as it gets. Same goes for my E4Platinum or Reason's Redrum module, which I do for a laugh occasionally.

Stu
    "Fry that sound effect, Moriarty, we're having it for breakfast"

Comment

The ddrum4 brain has the fastest triggering available. The ddrum4 has no Crosstalk parameters and "mask time" parameters or whatever and so it triggers faster.

I have a ddrum4 brain with ddrum triggers and I'm extremely satisfied with the results of triggering acoustic drums.

The Rolands may be fast enough, but triggering acoustics is a different thing than triggering pads. I've read some serious complaints about Rolands triggering acoustic drums over here.

Using MIDI is offcourse always slower.

by the way; you can dump your own samples in the ddrum4 and dmpro. There's no parameter editing on the ddrum4 though.)
      Music was my first love...

Comment

Well, since the DDrum4 has no crosstalk parameters, what can it do to handle crosstalks (such as sounds or shaking from adjacent toms) ?

thanks
        Haniel Trisna

Originally posted by MPCman:
        The ddrum4 brain has the fastest triggering available. The ddrum4 has no Crosstalk parameters and "mask time" parameters or whatever and so it triggers faster.

I have a ddrum4 brain with ddrum triggers and I'm extremely satisfied with the results of triggering acoustic drums.

The Rolands may be fast enough, but triggering acoustics is a different thing than triggering pads. I've read some serious complaints about Rolands triggering acoustic drums over here.

Using MIDI is offcourse always slower.

by the way; you can dump your own samples in the ddrum4 and dmpro. There's no parameter editing on the ddrum4 though.)

------------------
        Haniel Trisna
        Owner, Engineer
        tproductions.com
        Haniel Trisna
        Owner, Engineer
        tproductions.com

Comment

When triggering acoustic drums I have very little crosstalk problems. The trigger is pushed against the drumhead and aperrently it only gives signals when the drumhead vibrates the way it does when hitted with a drumstick.
          Of course there is some crosstalk, but then you just raise the treshold until it goes away.

I have just received my pads, but since I sent my module away to be repaired, I haven't been able to really test them. In the short time that I did it seemed there was more crosstalk with the pads than with acoustic triggering.
          Music was my first love...

Comment

And don't forget: acoustic drums have x-talk as well. The toms make the snare rattle. The bass drum let the ride resound. That makes a drum kit lively.
            Robert

Comment

Working...
            X