Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

V-Club Set with V 12" Hi-Hats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V-Club Set with V 12" Hi-Hats

I'm interested in buying the V-Club set.
    Is it worth adding the V 12" hi-hat cymbal to
    the set? I tried it on the V-Session set and liked it. And I could also use the old hi-hat
    pad for another tom pad, or cymbal. It costs about $245.00. Thanks

Yes.

Comment

I think so. In my opinion, the hi-hat is Roland's best V-Cymbal.

------------------
      Drooling Dog
      - Scott

Comment

DDog: Why do you like the V-Hi-hat so much? I demoed it myself and found it to offer no playablitiy advantage at all over a PD-7/PD-9 pad, except that it was a little bigger. The difference in feel simply wasn't there for me, and I've seen reports from others that come to the same conclusion. Yet there are ardent advocates for the V-Hat as well.

Please, V-drummers, describe to us what is so compelling about the V-Hi-hat. I want to believe. I really do.

Comment

How about the idea of using a CY-6 as a hat? It, too, is dual-triggered, and costs a hell of a lot less as well. Any thoughts on this?

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by MikePorcaro:
            I'm interested in buying the V-Club set.
            Is it worth adding the V 12" hi-hat cymbal to
            the set? I tried it on the V-Session set and liked it. And I could also use the old hi-hat
            pad for another tom pad, or cymbal. It costs about $245.00. Thanks
            Umm, Mike?

You wouldn't be Jeff's bro would you?
            He was one of my Idols, the best groove player ever.

------------------
            Jeff, using...
            td 8,PD-120,
            pintech pads,gibraltor rack, JBL G2 EON 15 AND Mackie srs-1500, BBE 462 yamaha maple customs, remo jazz kit, buttloads of cymbals... 96 Tahoe,leather.
            The original Gig Pig.

Comment

I would give the CY-6 a shot first. It is only $80 so it is a good place to start, at least money wise. The CY-6 does not move as freely as the CY-14's so I think it would make a good HH. There are some post of people doing this and they are quite happy with it. The CY-6 and the CY-12H are the same size.

------------------
              Ted H.
              www.tocsinrocks.com
              Ted H.

Comment

The CY-6 does not swing as much but is designed to move. You would need to rig something to have it truly fixed, but seeing as you get a couple with the Club kit anyway, it would cost next to nothing to try this first before getting anything else. If you like it enough, buy an extra at $80. If you want the V-hats still, get them, I think they have a really great feel, but that's subjective.

Comment

My 2 cents: The v-hat is a disappointment, and not worth the money IMO. Now keep in mind I use the td-8, and in my personal experience the v-hat does perform somewhat better with the td-10. But not much. My problem lies in the triggering -- within about a 2" radius of the center it triggers fine, but past 2" it starts to miss hits, getting worse as you move farther away from the center. As if the threshold needs to be lower, but I already have it set to 0. The rim trigger is even worse, and has an ugly feel and stick noise IMO. I have tried adjusting every single combination of parameters on the td-8 with no luck. At first I thought my v-hat was defective, but the demo v-session units I tried had the same problem, although not as pronounced as with the td-8. So I've learned to put up with it and concentrate my playing on the 2" radius, and use the rim for a "once in a while" crash. I have the v-ride as well, and it has no such problems. In fact, I love my v-ride and v-crashes, even though they are way overpriced. But that's Roland for you.

There has been a lot of discussion on the performance of the v-cymbals BTW -- do a search for "cy-" (partial match), "v-cymbal", and "v-hat". The overall worth of the v-hat (and the others) is a very subjective issue, and the opinions here on vdrums.com have varied a lot. I think your best bet is to try out the v-hat for yourself and base your decision on personal experience.
                  Roland TD-20 v1.08, various v-drums and v-cymbals, Yamaha KP65's, Axis pedals, Gibraltar hardware, Mackie 1202/SRM450 (pre-china)

Comment

Chris . . actually I do play the bass,
                    (in bands 13 years) but always liked
                    the drums much more. And my favorite
                    drummer is Jeff P.

Comment

Originally posted by HolShot:
                      How about the idea of using a CY-6 as a hat? It, too, is dual-triggered, and costs a hell of a lot less as well. Any thoughts on this?

Bob
                      That's what I do. I was sick of the PD7 because it was way too loud (my neighbours haven't complained but I was worried they might) and it made my wrist problems worse.

I looked at the CY-12H and thought that if anything, it was louder than a PD7 and it didn't feel much more playable.

The CY6 is great. I think it feels nicer than real hats(!?). You need to increase the sensitivity and reduce the retrigger cancel from the recommended settings if you want to use it as a hat not a crash. I wouldn't use it for a ride though since it has no positional sensitivity. I think I'll get the CY-15R for that, two more CY6s and one CY14C for the positional sensitivity on cymbal swells.

Comment

Working...
                      X