Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

purchased TD-8KD (demo unit), should I go uh-oh?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• purchased TD-8KD (demo unit), should I go uh-oh?

Hi this is my firt post here,

Walked into Guitar Center today with a quote in hand. Wasn't expecting anything, after 45 minute, 1 round trip, they finally agree to sell me a v-custom for 2195 otd. After I got home I noticed on the module a big demo unit label. What does this mean ? any limitations? Warranty? Everything else looks fine otherwise. Thanks.

V-drummer wannabe
    V-custom, upgraded CY-6, Axis pedals, custom shopping bag drum case

I'm not sure that I understand. Was everything in sealed boxes? If so, they should have disclosed that it was a demo unit. If not, you should have known that it may have been "test driven".

I'd ask GC what the unit's history is and what the warranty is (I'd get that in writing if you don't have one). If you don't get a satisfactory answer, you'll have to decide whether to keep or return it.

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for the response.
      From my observation, it looks like its a brand new set intended for demo. Knowing the guitar center, I expect and found that the packaging is not factory sealed, however, the module packaging was factory sealed and looks factory fresh. There is just a big label from Roland indicating that this is a demo unit, for sales see management.

TD-8KD (the D stands for demo) seems to be the designation for this unit. What do you think?

Comment

Originally posted by surge:
        TD-8KD (the D stands for demo) seems to be the designation for this unit. What do you think?
        I would go to Roland's website (www.rolandus.com) and e-mail them or call them and ask. On the bright side, maybe it IS a demo module with "special powers" and features. The flip side is that maybe it prohibits demo-ers from being able to overwrite stuff/mess with presets (I doubt it but maybe) but I'd find out what it means from mother Roland.

Comment

Good idea!
          I'll let you know once I called Roland up and ask.

Comment

When I bought my expansion card, I got a demo unit. The only difference was it had a label stating it was a demo unit. It was one of the first produced and they allocate quantities for their dealers. Washington Music chose not to install it on the showroom model and sold it to me. I have had it over a year, no differences from another I have played, which was purchased 6 months later, and no problems seen to date.

If anything, you'd think they would put more inspection into it since the last thing you would want is to have defective product in the showroom.

I'd write/e-mail the dealer and ask about the warranty. Hopefully you will get a documented response back confirming you are ok.
            Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

Called Roland tech support, nice person named Dan confirmed that there is no difference in terms of features or warranty. The quality control part make sense to me, so I feel a lot better now.

However I'd keep my eyes open for the next 30 days. If they started unloading demo units of v-custom like this, price might go down pretty quickly and I might get some money back. on the other side of it, that may mean Roland is cooking something and almost ready to serve it (Doh).
              Never mind, I'll be v-drummin along.

Comment

$2195 is a good price for V-Customs, considering you can drive home from Guitar Center with it. I'd say you got a pretty good deal.

Comment

that is the Guitar Center bottom line on V Customs. I do know that is the lowwest they will go. They have them marked at $2600ish, but I know a guy that fought them tooth and nail and got down to 2195...
                  Roland V-Pro TD20 expanded with V Expressions
                  Presonus Firepod
                  Reaper
                  Acoustic- Spaun drums, Dunnett snare & Paiste Signature Series Cymbals.

Comment

Working...
                  X