Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Sequencers / Samplers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sequencers / Samplers

Team V-Drum:
    Where can someone like myself get educated regarding the use of sequencers / samplers? I'd like to integrate some loops into my live performances. For example: I'd like to be able to play an 8 bar groove and then have that groove play back (on time), while I play a pattern over that sample.
    What tools do I need to do this? Would a PC be handy?
    Any online resource? Books? Specific products that anyone uses?

Thanks

It would be helpful to know what kind of gear you have. Are you playing V-drums? If so, your module may allow you to do most of this other than [probably] not allowing you to play an eight bar groove spontaneously and then play over it for eight and start over. What you could do however, is pre-record the eight bar groove and trigger it at any time from any pad. You could let it play or play along with it, and start it again (or stop it) at any time.

Depending on the gear you already have, (and your budget) a relatively simple drum machine, a sequencer, or computer sequencing may be options for you. There are some references on this site to general midi info sites and about various sequencing options. Do a search for more.

Comment

I have a similar question so maybe I can get in on this thread without a kevlar vest on...

I own the DR-770 drum machine. When I get my v-drums (right now I am leaning toward the TD-10 exp) will I be able to incorporate it into my setup? Specifically, will I be able to trigger patterns and songs that I have programmed into the dr-770 from the TD-10? Will I be able to grab specific drum sounds off of the dr-770? My apologies if this is a ridiculous question.

Adam:

I ran a bunch of searches externally on Google and was able to piece together enough info on sequencers and samplers to get an idea of what is going on. I have also ordered off of Amazon.."What's a Sequencer? : A Basic Guide to Their Features and Use" for 6 bucks.

Comment

half,
        While the others search frantically for lighter fluid for a troll-b-que:

Yes, you will probably be able to start stop patterns off a midi drum machine.

Yes, you should be able to not only trigger sounds from a midi drum machine by striking pads on your kit, but you may also be able to layer (have both the a TD-10 sound and a drum machine sound both play when a given pad is struck).

Another cool thing that you might try is take a pattern song that you like on your drum machine, and use all TD-10 drum sounds, it might sound very different. Possibly better, possibly not, but once you have all the pad assignments matched up, you can scroll through all the TD-10 kits and listen to the same song played on different configurations of snares, kicks, toms and cymbals. Your're bound to find something new and interesting in some of those old patterns/songs.

Comment

Great! I found a post by hln who said he was triggering sounds from his dr-770 so I have my fingers crossed. He didn't say if he was triggering patterns or songs however. It should be fun to play around with though. Thx. dr..

Comment

How does a troll know how to use the search function?

Troll and Search a two mutually exclusive variables.
            Steve

'I only ever quote myself - except when I quote someone else' - me

, plenty of , and , , triggered acoustics, , and a plethora of PA blah blah freakin blah...I mean does anyone care about the specifics of pedals, speakers, processors, hardware or anything that I'm using?? :confused: Hmmm, maybe this is an appropriate place to mention that I tried out a new cymbal stand the other day...

Comment

Working...
            X