Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

New CY Cymbals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New CY Cymbals

Just got my new issue of Roland User's Group magazine. There is an article about the new CY cymbals. Has anyone played them? Are they as good as the mag says (I am sure they are biased)? How close to the real thing are they and are they worth the investment or should I buy some Zildjans. BTW, I am playing a V-Pro w/ a TD10.

Thanks

Hi Romny

CY-6 = fantastic E-cymbal. I'm very impressed with their feel, they trigger flawlessly and they are the cheapest Roland cymbal on the market.

Many at this forum have bought them and feel great about them.

Try a search on CY-6 for lots of opinions.

You can't compare them against Zildjans 'cause they're different beasts: the e-cymbal is essentially triggering the sounds you have in your TD-10. Not a sound source.

Some have integrated acoustic cymbals with their V's quite successfully (I've gigged doing this - it was great) - but e-cymbals are better (quieter) for practice.

Anyway - you want UFIP's
    Andy
    TD-20, Pair of JBL-Eon15 G2's & Sub

Check out the demo tracks to hear my V's at

http://www.thebrokenangelband.co.uk/

Comment

Ronny,
      I use 2 CY-6 cymbals and am very pleased with them - the amazing thing is that they are CHEAPER than the PD-7 pads ! When I bought my V-Custom kit, I saved 78 quid by having the cymbals instead of the pads.
      Good Luck
      Kelvin

Comment

The new cymbals are awesome. I have all of them and here is my humble opinion:

CY-12H - I like it alot it feels like I am playing the real thing. A lot of people are using a CY-6 for there HH and I think that it would be good for that. The size of the CY-12H is what I like the most. Is it worth the $250 ??? the CY-6 is only $80 and is the same size and maybe the better way to go.

CY-14C - I love them they look great and feel great and they seem to be just the right size. Worth the $250 to me yes, I like the looks and the swings better than the CY-6.

CY-6 - These are with no doubt the best cymbal trigger for the buck. They look OK and play great. They do not swing as well as the 14C but make a good addition to the kit. Anyone buying a V kit other than the session kit or the club should swap the PD-9 or 7's out for the Cy-6's you will save money and should be able to add extra triggers at the same price.(example trade in 2 PD-9 pads from the concert set(I would try using the CY-6 as a ride you may want to trade a 3 PD-9's) you should be able to get 3 CY-6's for just a little extra $$$ or even up for the 2 PD-9 pads.

CY-15R - I love this ride cymbal the 3 zones are great it feels and plays awesome. Worth the $250 you bet, worth every penny.

These are my thoughts on the new V-Cymbal triggers. I use all of them plus a Visu-Lite china which I also like. (I like it a lot better know that I glued a piece of mouse pad on it to reduce the stick noise) I have the following:

1 CY-12H
        2 CY-14C
        1 CY-15R
        1 CY-6
        1 16" Visu-Lite China

------------------
        Ted H.
        www.tocsinrocks.com
        Ted H.

Comment

Ted,

I am assuming you have upgraded your module (TD10?) with the new board to support the extra sounds offered with the new cymbals. Do you have any problems with the crash cymbals "breaking up" when doing a double stroke cymbal swell. I have that problem with my TD10 and PD9 pads.

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Oz DrumR:

Anyway - you want UFIP's

No he doesn't, he wants Meinl CCS!

Stu
            "Fry that sound effect, Moriarty, we're having it for breakfast"

Comment

No not really, my problem was getting loud accents when trying to roll on the cymbal. I adjusted the sensitivity down and now everything seems to be OK. Yes I have a TD-10 with the V-Cymbal TDW-1.

------------------
              Ted H.
              www.tocsinrocks.com
              Ted H.

Comment

Is the V cymbal upgrade a must to use the v cymbals (namely the CY 6) or does it really only add the three trigger ride. I have a
                TD 10 w/ a TDW 1 but not the v cymbal control and don't have the time to send it back to Roland. I use the unit on the road and studio daily but would like to add some CY 6 pads live if you don't need the Cymbal upgrade to get full potental of the crashes.

[This message has been edited by zekedrum (edited August 14, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by zekedrum (edited August 14, 2001).]

Comment

Originally posted by zekedrum:
                  Is the V cymbal upgrade a must to use the v cymbals (namely the CY 6) or does it really only add the three trigger ride
                  Upgrade is needed only if you want 3 zone ride according to what I have read on this site.
                  Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

Originally posted by Boingo:
                    Upgrade is needed only if you want 3 zone ride according to what I have read on this site.
                    I have heard, but can't confirm, that the upgrade adds/changes cymbal sounds and improves playability beyond the ride. I don't want to spread inaccurate information. I never had the TDW-1 without V-cymbal control, so I have no way to verify this. But I thought I'd mention it. Maybe crap rumor, but I've heard it quite a bit. Can anyone confirm or refute?

Comment

You don't need the upgrade for the CY-6. The trigger settings are given to you for the TD-10 and the TD-10 expanded.(the trigger setting is a PD-9) The TDW-1 does add cymbal sounds and better sensitivty but that is what it did before the V-Cymbal upgrade. If you are going to use CY-6's you do not need the TDW-1 upgrade. The ride will be on 2 zones without it like mention in the above post.

------------------
                      Ted H.
                      www.tocsinrocks.com
                      Ted H.

Comment

Working...
                      X