Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Just tried a DTXtreme

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just tried a DTXtreme

Downstairs at my local music shop there was a DTXtreme set up, ready to play with a set ot 'phones, so I had a thrash.

And I'm totally undewhelmed. I just could not coax a realistic, satisfying snare, tom or cymbal sound out of the thing.

Now I'm the first one to admit that the TD-10 sounds less realistic than a good set of multisamples (I currently use Gigasampler and just the TD-10 hihat), but in my opinion the TD-10 sounds more realistic, and much more satisfying to play than the Yamaha. It wasn't a question of dynamics, which were fine, just that none of the kits made me want to carry on playing. Disabling all effects, EQ, ambience made no difference. All the sounds were dull, lifeless, with no sparkle, and all the samples were too short (yes I tried adjusting the decay) In fact, the sounds were very reminiscent of my Yamaha RM-50, a module which has been mouldering unused at the bottom of my rack for years. I tried playing music through the same set of headphones and it sounded fine, so it wasn't the 'phones or sound system.

Pads were OK but felt very lifeless, hardware was good and the module was nicely laid out, provising you're used to Yamaha's weird way of organising things.

What a shame, and what a missed opportunity.

I've heard vitually the same thing from everyone I know who's heard the thing. Originaly, it's was supposed to have 3.5 times the memory and the same 1000 sounds as the DTX V2, then some idiot decided to stick another 700 sound on it which resulted in lower sample rates than originaly planned. The sound quality went out the window, I'm very dissapointed because I was going to buy one after waiting a year for it. Just for curiosities sake, did you turn the headphone localizer on?

[This message has been edited by jrcel (edited July 16, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by jrcel (edited July 16, 2001).]
    Drumkat Turbo 4.5, Emulator X3, Superior 2.1, Roland Fantom XR, DTXtreme III, SPD-20 etc.......

Comment

There was an H-LOC function (or something like that, can't remember) which I twiddled, but it didn't seem to make any difference. What should it have done?

Comment

Pitty, that manufacturers still add such toys on the e-drum market. Is not good for the e-drum evolutiuon in general. I suppose.
        Robert

Comment

Personally I have no problem with the effects, which sounded excellent, the editing, which was deep and detailed, or any of the features. The more the merrier in my opinion (professional effects don't cost anything to add, and you can always turn them off). I did however, have a problem with the lack of any good samples.

Comment

The localizer acts like a Sonic Enhancer and increases the high end and places the sounds in a 3d field in the headphones, I've heard it makes a huge difference. I like alot of functions as well, I'm really tired of having to maintain a huge rack for my edrums. It's alot of work and very expensive to maintain. You shouldn't compare any module with a sampler in terms of sound quality, that's why people go to the extra hassle of using a sampler in the first place, the high sound quality. Besides the fact that samplers are getting easier to use all the time, you can buy ready to play very realistic drums kits on CD Rom now, all you have to do is load them and play.

[This message has been edited by jrcel (edited July 17, 2001).]
            Drumkat Turbo 4.5, Emulator X3, Superior 2.1, Roland Fantom XR, DTXtreme III, SPD-20 etc.......

Comment

Originally posted by jrcel:
              I like alot of functions as well, I'm really tired of having to maintain a huge rack for my edrums. It's alot of work and very expensive to maintain.

Hmmmmm .... svook?

Comment

So then shouldn't you be able to load these same samples in wav format into the DTXtreme via the Smartmedia card? Which by the way, isn't limited to 4mb, any size card can be used as long as it's a 3.3 v card.

[This message has been edited by Roberts2 (edited July 17, 2001).]
                V-Club

Comment

You hollered. Here we go again.

To me it’s not a hassle at all, especially when it comes to having my sounds turn out like they do in conjunction with the module and my rack of toys. Now the $ factor can and will play a difference in one’s mind and I can see how it matters. I made sure that the $ does not interfere with my goals – to have excellent sounds from my TD-8 and with good signal processors you will get excellent sounds, BOTTOM LINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Once you find a common ground between the signal processors and the TD, you don’t have to revert to the rack that much, or shouldn’t anyway – if you do, well that is another story and it requires time to go over how to use signal processors with edrums.

I have given the TD’s (8 & 10) a fair chance without any signal processors and it was no contest – two different results form using the TD dry and using it with my rack.

So to me the need for slamming, crisp and dynamics sounds is a must and the TD’s will not do on their own to provide the results I seek. If you think an acoustic drum set running into a board will sound good without any help from signal processors then stick with that theory.....and good luck – you will need it

Same principal (if not more) applies to edrums; they are good on their own but SO MUCH better with some help.

------------------
                  szvook
                  Studio

Comment

Im under the impression you can import any sample you want into the DTXtreme module as long as the sample is under 48 seconds long so everytime i hear someone complain about sound quality it makes me wonder... If you can import any sound you want how can you complain that it has bad sounds??? Its also supposed to have a chain command where you can chain 9 samples up to 48 seconds each to a pad so you can call them up in order 1 after the other. Seems the module kicks a$$ it just gets a lot of grief because people dont really have the time to get into what it can actually do in a quick sitting at a store. How it can sound bad when you can put any sound you want into it tho is beyond me.

Comment

Having a machine sound good with your own samples in it is really reliant on a couple of things, the internal processor and the audio chain. If, like a really good sampler it has 32 bit internal processors and at least 18 bit DAC'S, it will sound great. If on the other hand it has 16 bit proc's and crappy DAC's, it will sound bad no matter what you put in it. What I specifically mean by big rack is 20 spaces full of rack modules and other stuff that these newer drum modules can replace by themselves.

Comment

Newer modules such as? Compared to?

20-rack space full of what?

No matter what module you might have new or older – anyone will benefit the use of signal processors if used smartly. Now having way too many signal processors is overkill for sure, one has to be selective in order to get the necessities without buying too much and not using them or spending too much time tweaking them.

------------------
                        szvook
                        Studio

Comment

This stuff is now mostly gone, I'm down to a Kurzweil K2000VPR and a DTX w/pads and a Drumkat Turbo, and old Yamaha PSR520. Before I sold it my rack consisted of the fllowing, Alesis D4, Emu Procussion, Yamaha TX16W sampler, Yamaha PTX8, Peavey SP/SX sampler, Emu Proteus 1, JV880,Art Proverb, Peavey 701r mixer and a Peavey M-3000 power amp. Newer modules compared to the stuff above, you know with sequencing on board and all of that When I bought the DTX I really felt I didn't really need all the other stuff anymore.

Comment

Looks like you had a few drum/sound modules and samplers with a synth and effect thrown in. I can see how you would not need most of them with your new set up.
                            But what about signal processors? These are my needs for outboard gear, not so much in other sound sources. Yes a sampler is a given and I have that covered, but the rest are not and that is what I’ am after.

------------------
                            szvook
                            Studio

Comment

"Its also supposed to have a chain command where you can chain 9 samples up to 48 seconds each to a pad so you can call them up in order 1 after the other"

You can also layer up to 6 (I think) midi notes to me played together from a single trigger of a single pad.
                              Just a quick comparison: The DTXtreme is selling for around $799. That would put it in the same realm as the TD-8, but with 16 inputs, layering ability, uploadable samples, and excellent effects. Just something to think about. Okay, you can flame me now!

[This message has been edited by Roberts2 (edited July 17, 2001).]
                              V-Club

Comment

Working...
                              X